Final Fantasy VIII - Tell Me

H36T

Wrote this last night as just kind of an exercise but I think I want to take it to the next level. As written it's mostly just straight forward and in rhythm. Really quantized. I think though I can take some time, play some of the parts myself and really humanize it—take it slow and add feeling. There are some issues with frequencies being cluttered with the vocals but that is fixable. I'd appreciate any feedback on this take as I move forward making it feel more alive.

Edited by HarlemHeat360

• H36T changed the title to Final Fantasy VIII - Tell Me

I like the quality of this piece. I believe you're right on the vocals having a bit of frequency issues, but otherwise they're beautiful. I'm unfamiliar with using vocal samples so I'm afraid I cannot offer any suggestions on that.
I love when the solo cello enters, it is quite warm and deep. You did well with balancing the piano and the other bright tuned percussion (I can't tell exactly what it is, xylophone, glockenspiel, one of them), as the piano takes a lower spectrum role when the tuned percussion enters with its high notes, a nice effect.

Nice use of "special effects" sounds as well. I appreciate the sweeping, sparkling sounds and the dripping water. Hints at more of the atmosphere of the scene. Whatever the scene is, I never played FF8 (to my chagrin.) I encourage you to try adding some personal variation to the lead melody parts, your imagination may create some unique sounds for this lovely piece!

On 1/9/2021 at 7:22 AM, Wassup Thunder said:

I like the quality of this piece. I believe you're right on the vocals having a bit of frequency issues, but otherwise they're beautiful. I'm unfamiliar with using vocal samples so I'm afraid I cannot offer any suggestions on that.
I love when the solo cello enters, it is quite warm and deep. You did well with balancing the piano and the other bright tuned percussion (I can't tell exactly what it is, xylophone, glockenspiel, one of them), as the piano takes a lower spectrum role when the tuned percussion enters with its high notes, a nice effect.

Nice use of "special effects" sounds as well. I appreciate the sweeping, sparkling sounds and the dripping water. Hints at more of the atmosphere of the scene. Whatever the scene is, I never played FF8 (to my chagrin.) I encourage you to try adding some personal variation to the lead melody parts, your imagination may create some unique sounds for this lovely piece!

Thank you for your perspectives as always! I actually never use a xylo or a glock in this piece but there is a Celesta. The rest are pianos layered with effects to create a sound very similar to the the instruments you listed though. I think it helped soften the sound but still give the ringing tone of those instruments.

I'll try and give some personalization for Melody and other things too in the future. As seems to be my call, I like to uhh, stay in the lines when I make things initially. I need to learn to spread my wings some more!