OCR04190 - *YES* Chrono Trigger "Zeal"

Rexy

Hello,

I am submitting an original remix mashup of Chrono Trigger. I’m titling this Zeal. The style is melodic progressive house and is a mashup of several Chrono Trigger Songs, mainly Schala’s and Crono’s theme, with Gato’s theme as a lick.

I started producing about 4 months ago and I’ve been loving it so far. I have several inspirations, but this remix was inspired by my love for melodic and progressive house music. This song takes you on a slow, progressive, and melodic journey that eventually builds up to an epic end.

One of my goals is to make videogame remixes with EDM elements and I want people to groove out to tracks like the one I have created.

Anyways, I hope this is OCR quality. Have a listen. IThanks for your consideration!

ReMixer name: ymK
Name: Kris Camago
Email: 
Userid: 

Best,
Kris Camago

• 2 weeks later...

Chrono Trigger, Zeal, but it's not... a Zeal remix? Tricky!

Ooo, this is pretty smooth - I like the soundscape on this one, and the arrangement does some nice trickery with the texture by making that backing arp set to double time - gives the arrangement a nice kick. The arrangement is fairly clean, too, with a nice mix to top things off in the production department.

The largest risk this arrangement runs the risk of getting static with many of the elements of the track being used for significant stretches of the track, but there's some decent effort taken to break up the overall arrangement so that the instruments and textures don't wear their welcome out. There's still only so much that can be done with Schala so it still feels a hair long in my humble opinion, but that's not something I'll knock.

The only criticism that I can really lay down is that the ending sounds a bit abrupt. Could be intentional, but considering how wet the instruments sound throughout this could've benefitted from letting the instruments ring out for a beat longer. Otherwise, pretty solid stuff, could use a home on the front page.

YES

• Gario changed the title to 2020/09/19 - (1Y) Chrono Trigger "Zeal"

I thought the track ultimately dragged some and that the beats could have used more variation to stay fresh with a little more dynamic contrast throughout. Also agreed with Gario on the ending being too abrupt when it should have breathed more. That said, the ups and downs of this track still worked within a narrower dynamic curve, and the overall presentation was still solid. It's not a risky arrangement of Schala's theme, sure, but the source tune's personalized well. Good adaptation into a laid-back dance style! Welcome aboard, Kris!

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to 2020/09/19 - (2Y) Chrono Trigger "Zeal"

Simple and smooth, this is a no-frills melodic house approach that, despite its straightforward sound design and arrangement, still manages to check all of the boxes and craft something tasteful and vibey. The bendy bassline introduces some movement not present in the original source, and the unexpected mid-song breakdown adds some much-needed dynamic contrast before the final build. The choice to end on the triumphant Chrono Trigger melody capitalizes on the buildup that preceded it. 

This is a strong first submission and one I'd be happy to see on the site; I'm sure you'll be able to push future submissions further in terms of sound design, production value, but none of that should discredit the solid work you've done here!

YES

• Emunator changed the title to 2020/09/19 - (3Y) Chrono Trigger "Zeal"

Much like Schala's theme itself, this track is simple in its overall design and utilizes source components to create a composition that doesn't outstay its welcome.  All melodies got used straight yet personalized within this mesmerizing EDM setup, with the CT and Gato themes getting their respective appropriate roles as closure and breaks.  I love how there are moments aplenty where that familiar arpeggio got used on two separate instruments with one instance running at double-time - they both naturally gelled to me.  I would've wanted more moments where the drums did the filling in and transitions to the next section rather than relying on sweeps and bells for most of the time - but they still work for catching this mellow atmosphere you went for, and I can't discredit that.

Going into the mixdown, what first got my attention was the insane amount of sub-bass!  I feel it takes the attention away from the mid-frequencies carrying the melodies and other pads - but at the same time, it's needed for the sweeping bass, absolutely, and it fits the euphoric direction.  Talking of sweeps, the amount of attention to articulations and effects on your synths makes things feel lively, and it's not just the bass with its pitch bending and swells.  The sweeps and arpeggios had volume fades utilized well, the side-chaining is tastefully light, and I also sensed tasteful use of delay, reverb, and even distortion to add life to the mix.  Top that with a clean mixdown despite the low-end bias, and I feel this is a very fitting debut.

If you're looking to make VGM arrangements with EDM arrangements, you ticked off all the right boxes on that first submission.  A groove can come in many shapes and forms, so I hope you'll find ways to keep building on that in the future - but for now, it's worth showcasing here as a fresh take on a common source.  Nice going, Kris!

YES

• Rexy changed the title to 2020/09/19 - *YES - TAG* Chrono Trigger "Zeal"
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR04190 - *YES* Chrono Trigger "Zeal"
  • Rexy locked this topic