PRC421 - Techno And Opera Will Save The Earth (Rave Racer + Lufia 2)

Bundeslang

The People's Remix Competition 421
PRCv18-02

Hello everyone and Welcome to the People's Remix Competition!

Last year ended great with a good PRC418 followed by an even bigger PRC419 Anniversary round. The winners of those rounds, TheVideoGamer and TheVodouQueen both selected a source for this round.

Source 1:

On 1/19/2021 at 10:09 PM, TheVideoGamer said:

I should have done this a while ago, but i forgot lol.

I've done a few Ridge Racers here, but I'd figured, why not keep doing some more? The soundtracks to these games, actually often go unnoticed, so in a way, i'm giving it more attention lol.

This one is actually from Rave Racer, which is the third game in the series, and the last to be played on a Arcade Machine (Or at least, the last commercial one to be released. They did another arcade Ridge Racer in 2001, but i don't think it did well....),

The track name is Teknopera, which is kind of fitting, since it's pretty much Techno, with operatic vocals. Quite uplifting, and heroic, balancing out a kind of Fanfare-ish brass thing, with electronic techno/house beats. I mean... it is Rave Racer, and in the Ridge Racer franchise, you get nothing more than pure rave music...so....I think peeps, will have fun with this, and to be honest...the arrangement, could actually work orchestrated. Who knows....

Game: Rave Racer (Arcade)

Source: Teknopera

And as usual, my own custom MIDI:

https://www.vgmusic.com/file/da1502e7d2fa7987a84e981864ec8f6e.html#disqus_thread

Source 1: Rave Racer - Teknopera

http://compo.thasauce.net/files/materials/PRC421_Source 1 - Rave_Racer_-_Teknopera.mid

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rave_Racer

Source 2:

On 1/19/2021 at 3:16 AM, The Vodoú Queen said:

PRC 421 -  Estpolis 2: Curse of the Sinistrals (Nintendo DS) / Lufia II: Rise of the Sinistrals (SNES): "For the Saviour ~ The One Who Will Save the Earth"

Composer(s): Yasunori Shiono
Arranger(s): Yukio Nakajima

PRC Blurb - 'For the Saviour':

"I wanted to think of a good song to follow up the new year with. The excitement of today, the dread of what's to come, the need to survive and fight on to live another day, the want to protect a loved one--especially in these trying times. Although it might not be a spot-on choice, this 'final push' music made to succeed or die trying hit me hard as a kid when I first played through Lufia II for the SNES ages ago. I double-checked and made sure no OCR or PRC was made of this, and to be perfectly honest I am astounded no one had done a remix of this or chose this as something to add to the 'Lufia II: Of Gods and Men' album that hadn't been released yet. If I knew about it before...I would've taken the shot at it. It's one of my favourite RPG songs of all time. You felt it as Maxim, when you were battling your way across the underbelly of the Fortress of Doom to stop its descent before everything you knew and loved ended...

Now, I want to see what people do with this end-game theme. Everything from a dance track to bombastic, high-tension orchestra that'd make John Williams blush. Let's do Lufia II some justice and fight for a better 2021 from start to finish."

MIDI Direct Download: www.midishrine.com/midipp/sns/Lufia_2/50-For%20the%20Savior.mid

(If the MIDI doesn't work, please let me know. :D )

50-For the Savior.mid 34.48 kB · 1 download

Source 2: Lufia 2: Rise of the Sinistrals (SNES)  - For The Saviour ~ The One Who Will Save The Earth

http://compo.thasauce.net/files/materials/PRC421_Source 2 - 50-For the Savior.mid

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lufia_II:_Rise_of_the_Sinistrals

http://compo.thasauce.net/rounds/view/PRC421

To submit a song at the compo page you can use the ThaSauce page. If you use this, an account is required. If you don't want to use ThaSauce, please upload the song somewhere else and post a download link in this thread. I recommend Soundcloud, don't forget to allow downloads to enable me to upload the song at ThaSauce. I will keep using ThaSauce as the place where all songs are located.

If you want to use ThaSauce, the following steps should be done.

• Click http://compo.thasauce.net/rounds/view/PRC421.
  • Click the 'You are not logged in' button in the upper right.
  • Click on 'register' (at the bottom).
  • Read the terms and click 'I agree to these terms'. If you don't agree with them, upload the song somewhere else and post a download link as mentioned above (by doing that, you allow me to upload the song at ThaSauce.
  • Continue the process by filling in your information.
  • You will get a question to confirm that you're not a robot. Here are some possible answers:
  1. Name a compo: PRC
  2. Who organizes One Hour Compo: Starla
  3. Name a ThaSauce subdomain: compo.thasauce.net
  4. Who created Mega Mans: Capcom

A confirmation mail will be send. There might be some issues with it (meaning that you don't get it), if that is the case, upload the song somewhere else as described above.

Once registered, login with your username and password, go to the mentioned page and submit the song. If you want submit two or more songs you can create multiple ThaSauce accounts or upload the song somewhere else and post the download link.

After uploading your song, please check if your song plays and can be downloaded and played without problems. Only upload MP3 files.

PRC instructions

• The deadline is Saturday February 6th 2021 at 10:59 am ThaSauce time (18:00 UTC, 19:00 GMT), check the ThaSauce page for the exact time left. Make sure that the song is uploaded to ThaSauce or that there’s a download link posted in this thread. +3 Days.
  • You may enter as many mixes as you like and work with as many people as you like on each mix. You are free to create a second ThaSauce account for that if you use ThaSauce, it's needed to be able to upload a second remix if you use ThaSauce. Of course you can also upload it somewhere else and put a download link in this thread.
  • Do not make qualitative comments on an entry until the results of the vote have been posted in this thread.
  • Mixers cannot vote for themselves but if they vote they receive a free first place vote added onto their score.
  • The winner of this round may select the source for PRC423, the round after next round.
  • The winners of PRC418 and PRC419, TheVideoGamer and TheVodouQueen both can participate by remixing the source selected by the other or remixing both in one song. If they don't participate with a song (or submit a bonus song) they have a vote which counts twice.
  • You can find the full rules list at this page as well. The Multiple Source Rounds Rules apply. So remixing both sources in one song will be rewarded with a three point bonus.

GOOD LUCK!

PRC ThaSauce Home Page

Edited just now by Bundeslang

Edited by Bundeslang

1 hour ago, The Vodoú Queen said:

@TheVideoGamer Dude... Damn you've got good tastes.

IDK if this is just freakin' coincidence or a beautiful freak accident, but I'm already excited to try these together.

Somehow the choices are damn-near perfect, and operatic too?

Yass, love it. ♥

Lol thank you :) 

• 2 weeks later...

Once I am done with this composition for the VGM challenge going on on Newgrounds, gonna have fun with this one.

1 song mixed with both and a bonus source from Lufia II.

Probably is going to be 90% MIDI work (first time).

...And only 16 tracks I can work with.

Let's see if the uber excitement, over confidence (and pain) pays off, shall we? XD

@Wassup Thunder I'm sure whichever you picked, song'll be fantastic. :D

Dear fellow contestants, I fear, my entry just died due to "tea on laptop" reasons. :sad: (I knew I should have sticked to my one-sip-only-Espresso...) While I hope, that there's not too much damage there's probably no chance for using it to record or mix anything before Wednesday - and that only if I'm lucky.

2 hours ago, anachromium said:

Dear fellow contestants, I fear, my entry just died due to "tea on laptop" reasons. :sad: (I knew I should have sticked to my one-sip-only-Espresso...) While I hope, that there's not too much damage there's probably no chance for using it to record or mix anything before Wednesday - and that only if I'm lucky.

Daam that’s unfortunate. Not seen that happen before, or at least not as often. I hope it didn’t go into the laptop, or it’s disaster...

Maybe voting might be the way forward.

All the best....

Got my draft stuff in as a Bonus remix as I just found an old export I did somewhere at the beginning. If anyone likes the ideas and wants to do a collaboration on this track I'd be happy to engage! :)

(Edit and Offtopic: Does by chance anyone of you know if one can change its username on thasauce too or shall I just make a new account? Is ThaSauce linked in any official way to OCRemix?)

Edited by anachromium

And then it booted me from it entirely. LOL.

Is there any way to re-open it or turn it in at this stage? I tried for the past 10 mins prior to it being due, and like I said, it kept giving me a weird error screen no matter what I did to try and force it to work.

Edited by The Vodoú Queen

Thank you so much! ♥♥♥

Hopefully it'll work this time--if it freaks out again I'll let you know.

Also will be extremely fair and honest and not adjust or 'fix' anything with my song at all. Whatever I had it as for an mp3 before it all blew up, is what I am gonna upload. Thanks again. ♥

Right, sooooo ... it's still buggy AF.

I'll opt to do it the alternative way for now. I've uploaded the song as an MP3 file and the blurb for it, etc, to my SoundCloud--also with the ability to download the file.

I'll continue to try to upload it to Compoverse because maybe it's just having a go for the moment. Otherwise unsure how to fix it, but this is all I can do for now. ♥

Figured out the problem...

UPDATE:

So, apparently, Compoverse does not agree with the length of my song.

I tested this out by uploading a different song, that's about 4-5 mins long, and it worked just fine.

So anything over ~8 mins and Compoverse says no to it.

So what I am going to do is upload a shorter version of the song, but follow it with the longer SoundCloud version, which I'll re-post up here.

Welcome to the voting stage

The mixing stage is over. This round has songs and 2 bonus mixes, by TheVideoGamer and Brainstar The following people compete against each other:

Wassup Thunder

TheVodouQueen (3 point bonus)

Note: use the Soundcloud link for the song by TheVodouQueen as the CompoThaSauce version is incomplete.

To vote, do the following:

Visit http://compo.thasauce.net/rounds/view/PRC421 and listen to all the entries

Scroll to the form at the bottom of the screen or click PM.

Fill in the entries from first to third in the ThaSauce form or fill in your top 2. Do not vote for TheVideoGamer and Brainstar.

State a reasoning for it.

Participants are encouraged to vote and leave feedback. However, they may not vote for themselve so it doesn't matter for the results. They should vote for the song done by the other participant.

Always look in this thread to find out who's the winner of the round after the voting stage instead of only looking at ThaSauce for the results.

You have until Monday February 8th 2021 10:59 AM ThaSauce time (11:00 UTC, 12:00 GMT) to vote.

If you vote by PM make sure that your top 3 is clear. I prefer something like this:

(To)

(Subject)

PRC ### Vote

(Message):

1: (remixer A )

2: (remixer B )

3: (remixer C )

(reasoning)

I will post the feedback given in the PM’s and the votes in this thread. The winner may choose the source tune for PRC423. PRC422 is the Ruins theme from Undertale and starts when the thread is there (in a couple of minutes).

Edited by Bundeslang

On 2/6/2021 at 1:52 AM, The Vodoú Queen said:

UPDATE:

So, apparently, Compoverse does not agree with the length of my song.

I tested this out by uploading a different song, that's about 4-5 mins long, and it worked just fine.

So anything over ~8 mins and Compoverse says no to it.

So what I am going to do is upload a shorter version of the song, but follow it with the longer SoundCloud version, which I'll re-post up here.

It doesn't object to anything over 8 minutes. it objects to anything over 20mb.

What i usually do if i have a track over the desired length, is re-export it but with less kbps, which immediately brings the MB down. You might be sacrificing some quality, but usually for me, it doesn't make a major change, to where the quality is completely bad.

You don't mind me asking what DAW you use right?

Edited by TheVideoGamer

@TheVideoGamer

Bandlab Online -- sadly I don't have the money to get FL Studio and the like.

I do have Cakewalk downloaded, but standard DAWs for me, ATM, is very intimidating to look at. BLO kind of has a bit of the training wheels look with simplified DAW, but the sacrifice is no good instrument VSTs and you're using their loops and stuff unless you find you own .wavs online. It's all royalty free so no laws broken, but my hands are tied to limited things using it, I know.

Also yeah I think I saved my song for the highest, best MP3 it could do. I thought it was less than 20 mb, but I'll have to re-check.

Why do you ask?

Yes the song was 20.7 MB. Roflmao... Compoverse freaked out over 00.7 more MB. xD But that's probably also due to the length and max quality.

It's results time.

TheVideoGamer and Brainstar both did a two bonus mix.

Wassup Thunder got 10 points and gets the last place wooden spoon

And the winner of PRC421 by unanimous decision is with TheVodouQueen with 15 points.

TheVodouQueen may pick a source for PRC423. Send the source to me (with a MID/MP3 file, otherwise send a second source with a MID file) by PM, other options are PM me @ ThaSauce or by e-mailing to bambombim@gmail.com (I prefer a PM @Ocremix). Send your source as fast as you can, but before next Wednesday (17 February 2021), 11:00 AM ThaSauce time (18:00 UTC, 19:00 GMT).

You may select any source from any game, but not a source with an OverClocked remix or a source which has been used in PRC before. An overview of the past PRC's can be found in the following links (I recently updated this site):

http://sites.google.com/site/bambombim/prc

http://bambombim.googlepages.com/PRCRemixList.doc (also downloadable via the link above).

Next double source round I probably change the bonus rule for mixing both sources because the advantage is too big when only two people compete. This round, it didn't affect the result.

http://compo.thasauce.net/rounds/view/PRC421 for the votes and comments.

PRC422 already started: http://compo.thasauce.net/rounds/view/PRC422

Congratulations TVQ and thank you all for your kind words! :) (I hope my own criticism isn't too harsh or detailed at parts, but I try to be very detailed and verbose about what I hear. Just give me a quick PM if one of you feels like it's too much!)

@The Vodoú Queen: Without any doubt you ARE good at making music and you seem to always have a couple of good ideas for all sources, which is a talent in itself. Therefore I would be happy to do a collaboration! Only thing is: I am really bad at composition - which is the reason why I'll try to stick to this competitions longer this time - and I'll probably stay with my acoustic approach and aim to develop my remixes/arrangements around the trombone and the other stuff I have direct access to, which is a little collab-unfriendly in my opinion. So there's probably no offer to be expected from my side anytime soon. BUT: If you ever want some trombones in a mix of yours - even if it's only chords, or to be precise, especially if its only chords: just message me and I'll give it a shot! (Time is one of the things I have plenty of these days.) ;-)