MnP 122: Kirby and the Amazing Mirror - Candy Constellation

TheVideoGamer

Compo: MnP (Meat 'n Potatoes)

Congratulations to Souperion for winning the last round. As a result, he get's to pick the source for round 122. Here's what he had to say:

"Feel a bit odd having won a round that featured a spirited, upbeat song by making a slower remix, so let's do some Kirby music! Kirby and the Amazing Mirror: Candy Constellation, specifically. It's a real fun piece, one of my favorites from that little gem." - Souperion

GAME: Kirby and the Amazing Mirror (GBA)

SOURCE: Candy Constellation

VIDEO:

Deadline: 3rd March @ 1PM

Vote Ends: 12th March @ 1 PM

MnP ARCHIVE  made by Trism ;)

submit: http://compo.thasauce.net/rounds/view/MnP122

MISSION STATEMENT
The goal of Compo:MnP is to promote that "meat and potatoes" conservative approach to remixing: this includes the mood and composition of source tunes. It is up to the remixer to create their own personalization, or to simply give it a sound upgrade. Moreover, the compo is a great opportunity to hone your remixing skills and give video game music the respect that is due. SOME reinterpretation is recommended, but not required.

MnP Instructions/Guidelines

1. Source-Picks are limited to the era of gaming 1984-2006.  In other words, Nes/Sega Master to PS2/GC/XBox 1. I might starting looking at relaxing this rule, to give more leeway in freedom of choice. We'll see how it goes in the upcoming rounds.
  2. Modifying the Source is fine, so long as it doesn't sound completely separate from its original intent. 
  3. If you're gonna do a genre change, at least make sure the original aspect of the source is not lost.
  4. Tempo changes are fine, as long as it's not a big change. I'm talking like,  going from 80bpm to 140bpm. 
  5. Submissions must be at a maximum of 20mb (keeping in step with ThaSauce's file size max), and submitted as a MP3 file.
  6. Only 1 entry per participant. Previous winner cannot participate but can submit a BONUS entry. 
  7. Try to avoid making quality-based comments on submissions until after the Round is concluded.  It is to avoid a Bias in Votes.

MISC/TIPS
- When picking a source tune, make sure it has a MIDI to make people's lives easier.
- In-game sound FX are permitted, so long as they don't comprise the whole track (i.e. replacing entire MIDI tracks with just sfx)

Edited by TheVideoGamer

• 3 weeks later...

Mine's in.

I really like Kirby stuff.

Didn't want to miss this opportunity. ♡

BTW it said there was like 9 hrs left to submit a song. I think the deadline was accidentally set to 10 or 11pm instead of 1pm today (unless 10pm was the intended due time). XD

Edited by The Vodoú Queen

8 hours ago, The Vodoú Queen said:

Mine's in.

I really like Kirby stuff.

Didn't want to miss this opportunity. ♡

BTW it said there was like 9 hrs left to submit a song. I think the deadline was accidentally set to 10 or 11pm instead of 1pm today (unless 10pm was the intended due time). XD

If i'm not mistake your British right? Because the time zone is adjusted based on where your from.

So if your from the UK you would use BST, or Greenwich Mean Time.

If your American you would use EST time.

If your from Russia it would be MST

And so on. Always check your time zone to see it matches.

I believe 1pm is for American peeps.

Edited by TheVideoGamer

Also i'm giving 2 days extra, since there is only 2 entrants (Actually 1 entrant, and 1 bonus entrant.)

I know it said it ended 8 minutes ago, but that's because i added a sort of late arrivals kind of extension.

My entrant is out by the ways. (I didn't open it up for this reason. I'm literally giving 2 days for anyone to enter. After that, we vote.)

Edited by TheVideoGamer

In fact what i'm gonna do, is from now on, the round will be as normal, but there will be an additional 2 day gap for later comers. So it might say closed, but you can still submit (It's sorta like a, late arrivals type of extension, than a normal one.). This gives people who arrived late a chance to still enter. Also i've added an additional 2 days to voting, because of the extension. 

Edited by TheVideoGamer

Welcome to the Voting Stage!

• There are 3 entries this round.
  • There is 1 Bonus entry(s) this round
  • There IS a voter bonus this round!
  • Souperion have a vote worth 2x. 
  • When Voting, if possible, avoid granting 1:1 covers top spot.  MnP requires a bit of remixage after all.  
  • Don't vote for Bonus entries please. 
  • Do let me know if you have problems voting, and we can sort something out.
  • Try and not make any comments about each entrant until after voting has concluded. Thanks!
  • Participants may not vote for themselves.  

Vote ends March 12th 1Pm.  

Vote here: http://compo.thasauce.net/rounds/view/MnP122 

Results

• In Joint 1st place with 12 points each: TheVideoGamer and TheVodouQueen
  • The only entrant left is Souperion's bonus, which makes the 2nd, 3rd and 4th inapplicable...

TheVodouQueen please PM me with your source pick for Round 123. Ideally for next week. (Roughly the 20th of March)

I will also be including a source pick too. Double Dose in the next one!

Congrats to everyone who participated, you peeps did great!

Comments:

I didn't bother voting, since i only have the option of one entrant, but i did like both of them a lot. Here's a few things i had to say.

I loved the Hi-NRG house vibes of TheVodouQueen, what a great take on the source! The synths were amazing, and actually suited the feel of Kirby. I love the way it develops too, it keeps the interest going for it's run-time. If i have to critique it, i didn't like the abrupt cuts. I know it's like a pause into the main beat (Heard especially in the intro), but it felt too hard for me. Also i detected timing issues in the hats. It felt way out of sync with the rest of the drums, but it could be the nature of the loop. The vocal samples were good, but i would have worked them more into the track. The synths though are awesome, and fit the track to the T. Well done!

Souperion's was really good also, definitely love how period appropriate it feels. Like it sounds perfect for the N64. I don't have any issues, arrangement wise, it sounds great, however i do feel it's very focused on 1-1 accuracy, than transcribing the feeling of the original into something unique, but i will say i dig the original melody writing at the end. The tempo change is a great idea. All in all, great job on this!

Edited by TheVideoGamer