PRC422 - Ruining This Game (Undertale)

Bundeslang

It's results time.

Wassup Thunder did a bonus mix

HarlemHeat360 collected 7 points and gets the last place wooden spoon.

TheVideoGamer has 9 points and gets fourth place.

TheVodouQueen gathered 14 points and gets third place.

Souperion has 17 points, worth a second place.

And the winner of PRC422 is Anachromium with 22 points.

Anachromium you are the winner. You may pick a source for PRC424. Send the source to me (with a MID/MP3 file, otherwise send a second source with a MID file) by PM, other options are PM me @ ThaSauce or by e-mailing to bambombim@gmail.com (I prefer a PM @Ocremix). Send your source as fast as you can, but before next Wednesday (10 March 2021), 11:00 AM ThaSauce time (18:00 UTC, 19:00 GMT).

You may select any source from any game, but not a source with an OverClocked remix or a source which has been used in PRC before. An overview of the past PRC's can be found in the following links (I recently updated this site):

http://sites.google.com/site/bambombim/prc

http://bambombim.googlepages.com/PRCRemixList.doc (also downloadable via the link above).

Hopefully I didn't make any miscalculation because I was in a rush. The winner is correct for sure, hopefully the votes are readable because I see a lot of <p> and stuff like that.

http://compo.thasauce.net/votes/index/PRC422 for the votes and comments.

PRC423 already started: http://compo.thasauce.net/rounds/view/PRC423

Edited by Bundeslang

Wow, thank you so much everyone! This one makes me really happy and I'm glad you all could enjoy the track! :)

(And as more people asked in the comments: no french horn, everything you hear from brass is trombone. Alto trombone for the recitative in the beginning and + first quiet organ-verse and tenor trombone for the accompaniment and the solo at the ending.)

On 2/27/2021 at 8:45 PM, Bundeslang said:

Good idea, I'll send a PM to Bundeslang. :)

EDIT: Bug seems to be fixed, I was able to vote.

I had no problems voting. 

Well...apart from the fact i last minute'd, so i could only get quick thoughts in.

If i have to be honest, i was terrible at giving feedback, i needed to really gather my thoughts.

So I'll do it here, hold on.

Edited by TheVideoGamer

On 3/1/2021 at 9:25 PM, anachromium said:

Wow, thank you so much everyone! This one makes me really happy and I'm glad you all could enjoy the track! :)

(And as more people asked in the comments: no french horn, everything you hear from brass is trombone. Alto trombone for the recitative in the beginning and + first quiet organ-verse and tenor trombone for the accompaniment and the solo at the ending.)

Congrats dude, well deserved win!

2 hours ago, TheVideoGamer said:

Congrats dude, well deserved win!

Thank you so much! :)

2 hours ago, TheVideoGamer said:

Well...apart from the fact i last minute'd, so i could only get quick thoughts in.

If i have to be honest, i was terrible at giving feedback, i needed to really gather my thoughts.

Don't worry too much! There is some truth in early impression feedback that gets lost, when listening twice or thinking more analytically about a track. But that's so important too, because after all that's how people decide whether they like our music or not - on first glance and very often without a second listen. ;)

52 minutes ago, anachromium said:

Thank you so much! :)

Don't worry too much! There is some truth in early impression feedback that gets lost, when listening twice or thinking more analytically about a track. But that's so important too, because after all that's how people decide whether they like our music or not - on first glance and very often without a second listen. ;)

I rushed it that's why. I was out at the time, and i wanted people to be at least aware of my basic thoughts.

Sorry I didn't give feedback! I saw a section for comments but I was worried the comments would somehow show up in public if I made any in the box when I voted. But now I see they only show after the voting period is ended. I'll give my comments here soon and in the future I'll do them where they are supposed to be!

Ok so here's my detailed feedback, to make up for my rushed mess earlier. It also gives me a chance to properly reflect on what i think on each track.

Anachronium - I really like this arrangement. The originality shines here. The vocals were a lovely touch, especially in the beginning. I still think you are amazing at brass, i always dig your swells. Now what i said originally was that it takes a while to get going, and to a degree i still stand by that statement. It's very slow in developments, which to me sounds a bit boring. However unlike last time, i've altered some of my meanings behind it, as i do think the way you incorporate simplicity into the melodic touches is amazing. The main focus into why i said that, largely stemmed from a dynamic issue. For me, when listening, the lack of build-up and tension made it a little boring as a result. I didn't hate it or anything, it was mostly i needed excitement. However on a good note your melodic writing is amazing, and i love the way you've taken a simple melody and made it your own, that's my highlight for sure. Well done on this!

Souperion - Listening to yours, i did not find the arrangement sloppy, a point that has stayed with me when revisiting this. The reason i don't find it sloppy, largely stems from how it transitions from a orchestral feel into a rock feel, lovely touch there. The whole sound is also amazing too, that synth bass is super satisfying and fitting to the music. This is also a good example of electronics blending well with the orchestra. If i had to point out a few improvements which i did not write down, is that the drums/synths to me were getting pushed down by the orchestra. Makes sense to me, since that is the style, however i felt the rock could have been amplified if the drums and synths were taken up a notch. Or maybe tone down the strings. I love your style and arrangement though. Definitely enjoyed this one a lot though. Well done!

TheVodouQueen - What i dig about this one, as i do with all your compositions, is the sheer level of originality. I love it. Never expect this into a jazz arrangement (Even if mine leans towards that), and that to me is what i love about it. I also like how well all the melodies translate well. Personally for me, and i picked upon this when listening, but some of the sounds felt...soundfont'y to me. Not necessarily low-quality, far from it, yet at the same time it doesn't feel high-quality. What could work as well, and what i noticed, is that i got the impression at the start you were trying to amplify the lo-fi early jazz aesthetic. Again, shows how creative you are. Now i love that, but it slides off around a minute in. It's as if you've forgotten about it. I felt you could have continued it, to really hit it home (Particularly with the use of the Vinyl Crackle). It's only me though, taste is personal. The last part was amazing, i love how you stripped it down into something minimal before brining it back up, really nice touch. Overall i just love the creativity, i think you've done an awesome job on this. Well done!

Wassup Thunder - I dig that electric bass, very fitting to the track. Feels like it shares similarities with Souperion's track, but more laid back, and not as intense with synths or guitars. I do love the drums in this one. Incredible beats, such a great arrangement, with the beats. The main issue i have with this, and it might be my ears, but the brass doesn't seem to fit right. It could be the attack, but it gives me the impression it's not timed right to the metronome, or grid. I know with classical music and stuff like that, it's supposed to be human, but even humans keep tempo. However again, it's not frequent, so it might be me. Also though, on a good note, that piano is incredible. The chords and harmony used in the piano, just works sooo well. I love how it blends with the rest. Overall this is beautifully done. Well done! 

HarlemHeart360 - I didn't manage to finish my comment here lol. But nothing's changed here. I loved how you kept it very simple. Nothing too fancy, really amplifies how good the source is. Now listening now, i do think it's extremely bass heavy, and very loud. However at the time, i was out, and didn't have time to properly gather my thoughts, so i rushed it. But i do love the unique ideas here, the vocals were a really good touch. The simplicity is really why i like your arrangement a lot The others did great arrangements, with amazing ideas, but with tracks like this, great ideas start small. Like i said though, sadly it's very bass heavy, and to a definitely short. It feels like it could be expanded on. But it is a great start, with a lot of amazing potential. Really nice job on this though. Well done!

That's all of them, that felt good, lol.