Your real name: Ernesto Bernal
        Your email address: 
        Your website: https://astraltales.bandcamp.com/

Your userid: 36495

Submission Information

Name of game(s) arranged: Flashback: The Quest for Identity
        Name of arrangement: A Quest For Identity
        Name of individual song(s) arranged: Main Title
        Additional information: Already on the site :)
        Link to the original soundtrack:

Your own comments: Flashback is one of my favourite games from the 16-bit era, and I wanted to pay tribute to it in some way. I chose to work on the Main Title theme. The original
is pretty minimalistic but the Sega CD version has a more elaborated version of the song, which helped me to develop it further. My approach was to give it an atmospheric vibe with a few
modern touches and some Synthwave/Spacesynth elements. I hope you enjoy it. :)

Cheers!
Ernesto

• Liontamer changed the title to 2020/11/11 - Flashback "A Quest for Identity"
  • Liontamer changed the title to 2020/11/11 - (1Y) Flashback (SCD & GEN) "A Quest for Identity"

It's worth noting that the droning background notes are more directly inspired from the classic Genesis version of the theme (rather than the Sega CD version) and provide a lot of the glue making the arrangement constantly reference at least some aspects of the source, so I'd consider this an arrangement of both versions together.

That said, this is an excellent expansive take of the Flashback theme, and I enjoyed the ride. The arrangement's an extensive gradual build at a slow tempo, and nothing but ear candy with space for the listener to breathe and appreciate the details. Nice work, Ernesto!

YES

what an interesting original. i haven't heard of this one.

there's some really great stuff going on here. the original's very atmospheric, and the way that you approached this aspect and made it your own is really fun. there's some fun fm-ish bells in here, lots of swelling synths, some heavily filtered percussion in the intro, and then it fleshes out into a really fun half-synthwave feel. the concatenation of a half-time beat and 16th notes in the synths is really interesting.

the piano that comes in at 2:17 is also great, it's very metallic and feels like it fits this future-retro spacey feel really well. the track develops really slowly but it doesn't feel like it's dragging.

there's a break at 3:12, and the synth work here continues to be pretty nuanced and interesting. this feeds up into a heavily sfx'd version of the texture of the first section. the electro synth-guitar does a nice job singing out over the top of all of the chaos under it. the ending is sudden but not problematic.

this sounds great and brings to light a great original. excellent work.

YES

• prophetik music changed the title to 2020/11/11 - (2Y) Flashback (SCD & GEN) "A Quest for Identity"
  • 1 month later...

This is immediately serving up Deus Ex vibes. Those detuned FM bells that enter at 1:22 are juicy. The production here is immaculate across the board, full of texture and richness. The pacing of the arrangement is exceptional as well, absolutely nailing the slow build without ever lingering on one idea too long before introducing something new for the listener to enjoy. The fakeout ending at 3:40 was such a treat too, and the glitchy percussion that enters is tasteful and impactful. 

I can see myself coming back to this a lot - great work!

YES

• Emunator changed the title to 2020/11/11 - (3Y) Flashback (SCD & GEN) "A Quest for Identity"
  • 1 month later...

Can't argue with any of that.  It's almost like an HD remaster, but that doesn't do it justice, as it goes well above and beyond.  It's clearly a loving homage, retaining the character of the original but making it deep and rich, with lots of additional elements added and remove at different points to retain interest.  Lush Tron-like synths, mutated instrument samples, just good stuff all around.

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR04273 - *YES* Flashback (SCD & GEN) "A Quest for Identity"