OCR00149 - Street Fighter II "Hey, Mr. Honda"

Street Fighter II 'Hey, Mr. Honda'

Yo, HOI!! Somehow I just can't see Honda fighting to this music, but it sounds pretty cool nonetheless. Minimal Japanese stuff here combined with minor synth beeps and leads. You'll notice as you listen to it that it's pretty clever - a lot of different changes are here which occur over the main melody. Very different McVaffe stuff. Actually, I picture this as more of a Gemini track. Can get a little boring during the second listen.

• 3 months later...

An interesting take on E Honda's theme. The resemblance to Hey Mr. DJ is actually evident if you listen closely. The song is made up of a slow, electronic/ethnic (electhnic? ... whoa, big tongue twister there...) melody.

Somehow it just feels like McVaffe is holding back, though.. there are no solos of note, nor any instruments that really catch your ear. Worth an occasional listen, but not the kind of tune you can play nonstop for hours.

• 1 year later...

You can call me crazy, but this song somewhat reminded me of Madonna's song "Music" (is that the name) mainly due to the similarities of its electric beats and synth. This is a good remix of the E Honda theme, though a remix of this theme with less funk could be better.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Stepping out in style, this mix successfully marries traditional Japanese instruments to a club track, giving this track a confident swagger that's both unexpected and refreshing. The drums are perfect; especially the snare slaps, and actually mesh very well with both the meandering synth arpeggios that seem to pan all over the place, and the buzzy lead line.

Normally im not a huge fan of street fighter tracks, but this one really won me over.

• 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Review 6/1522: Street Fighter 2 "hey Mr Honda"

Hello ladies and gentlemen and welcome to the first eddition of RE-VIEW-KEN

This track starts off thin and a bit too long on the non-electronica beats however the volume softens (or my ears get used to it) and the mix picks up a steady pace. Still a bit slow and thin for some but over all I'm loving it.

Score 9/10 "Excellent"

• 7 months later...

I can see where people are coming from when they say that this mix is "thin".

But I do think it's fairly appropriate and should be filed under life's little ironies.

Whenever I hear this I see E. Honda wearing headphones in front of a turntable and being the mix-master.

The mix though is minimalist, but it works.

Definitely worth checking out.

• 4 months later...

Despite the fact that this music sounds like it belongs on a Pause screen or something, I find myself really getting into it. It's got a lot of style, a lot of substance, maybe not enough Street Fighter but that doesn't have to be a bad thing.

I disagree with the people saying this is difficult to relisten to extensively. It's consistent enough to be something to tune out to and acknowledge at the same time. The interesting approach to instrumentation must be noted. Everything sounds and gels very successfully for my tastes. The mix is basic, yes. Reserved, possibly. And that fade-out at the end is horrible to my pretty, little, fade-out sensitive ears. But overall I think this is yet another stellar work from McVaffe and his continued infatuation with the cast of Street Fighter.

• 6 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 3 years later...

Actually kinda like the toned-down and straight to the point style of this mix. It may not take the source too far out in open water, and comes off thin, but for my taste I still like the minimal input here. E. Honda's theme is kinda made for less is more, and even though a little more here would have been great, there isn't really much here that turns me off of the ReMix that much. My only really gripe is the ending that seemed to come up too quick, but eh, oh well.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00149 - Street Fighter II "Hey, Mr. Honda"