Super Mario Bros. 2 - Underworld Remix

Tab Newflax

======== UPDATE (2022-08-13) ===================================================================

Hello again! I submitted this remix, unfortunately, it didn't pass. However, the judges enjoyed the idea for the track. Their main critique was that most of the time it was hard to distinguish the source material, and also that there was a lot of competition and muddiness.

So with that in mind, I revisited the track and did a lot of changes:

• Made the bassline in the intro a lot simpler.
  • Added "fillers" with the source material’s lead at several sections of the song.
  • At 1:40, changed the "tropical" lead to having mostly the same notes as the source lead (in the previous version it played at double speed and had a lot of variation)
  • Removed a lot of backing instruments / percussion that only took up space and wasn't barely audible anyway.
  • Overal, went through all leads and stuff and made them more similar to the original.
  • Removed the extended outro and replaced it with the "lost life" tune, very short.

Please let me know what you think about this new version, looking forward to hearing your feedback!!

======== UPDATE (2021-11-21) ===================================================================
Hello! The remix is almost finished I think!

I would appreciate to get some feedback before I submit it.

Looking forward to hearing your feedback! :)

======== UPDATE (2021-05-07) ===================================================================

It’s been a while. I’ve been working a lot on polishing the remix since the last version. I’ve addded sound effects from the original Super Mario Bros. 2, as well as some more Toad voice sound effects. I’ve added more impacts, uplifters, downlifters, etc. Made lots of automations. And also added som new instruments.

I changed the transition at 0:46 so that the lead continues to play for a full bar before the break starts, also the same at 4:25 before the outro.

I tried making the first break starting at 0:46 longer but I didn’t like the result so I kept it short.

Next I will continue the mixing phase focusing more on EQ, compression, effects, etc.

Looking forward to hearing your feedback!

======== ORIGINAL POST ===================================================================

Hello, following my Heat Man remix I got inspired to try again to extend a short theme for several minutes. This time it’s a remix of the “Underworld” theme from Super Mario Bros. 2 which loop is only roughly 10 seconds! Some tiny parts of the song are also from the “Bonus Start”, “Success” and “Failure” theme.

The composition is finished and most of the instrumentation is done as well. The percussion isn’t finished, there may be places where it is missing or where it feels off. Also, I’ve been working with some voice SFX in this track, they are far from finished and are scattered a little here and there.

I haven’t done any balancing, EQ, compression, effects, etc. yet.

Mainly I want to get some feedback on the composition, structure, and instrumentation at first.

Please let me know what you think about it, looking forward to hearing your feedback!

Edited by Tab Newflax

Chiming in to let you know the idea is awesome and I love the style. Really well done piece. I am fan of Infected Mushroom and this kinda remind me of them a bit. (Replaying the same part again and again but changing synths glitch etc and you keep it fresh all the way)

And I don't want you to get mad at me. I want to hear this again once you are done.

All I have for you are those: At 0:46 the transition is abrupt. Like it misses 1/8 or 1/16 of a bar? And I would keep the area from 0:47 to 0:53 a bit longer around to make people linger. Maybe not as long as the 1:26 break because this part section in itself is AWEsome. 

I like the juggling of the song all around. You did very well. I dig it seriously.

Edited by Rockos

15 hours ago, Rockos said:

Really well done piece. I am fan of Infected Mushroom and this kinda remind me of them a bit.

Thanks! I'm also a fan of Infected Mushroom. Cool that you mention them because they are the main inspiration for the style of this remix. I started by analyzing some of their songs before making this remix.

At 0:46 the transition is abrupt. Like it misses 1/8 or 1/16 of a bar?

That is correct, the last bar before the break at 0:47 is missing the last 1/8, i.e. the lead doesn't play there. It was made on purpose, initially because I wanted a tiny silence before the next section, but then I thought it sounded cool to start the "impact" there instead at the beginning of the next bar. So the "impact" starts a bit before the sweeping lead. But do you think it sounds too off and distracting?

And I would keep the area from 0:47 to 0:53 a bit longer around to make people linger. Maybe not as long as the 1:26 break because this part section in itself is AWEsome. 

The reason I made it short was (my hope at least) that it would feel as a tiny tease about what is/might come later in the song, but maybe I should try it twice as long? Like "copy" from the longer build-up from 1:26-1:41 (up to where the tropical sounding synth starts).

I like the juggling of the song all around. You did very well. I dig it seriously.

Thanks for the feedback, this was much needed after this day! :D Will let you know when I have done more!

You could add a tiny silence to the lead but keep the time signature. I think it would be less distracting and you could have that silence. (could also lessen the silence with reverb?) Impact could be double to mark the start of the new bar? Just ideas.

Since you have a good break part, the tiny teaser could be longer. But it's only to my taste. You may wait for more people to comment on that. It's only one opinion right now! Some might have other ideas. 

And I know Infected tend to have very long parts and build up. 8 to 10 minutes songs are common among their albums (I own everyone of them).

Edited by Rockos

I'm back to it. 

It sounds fuller than the last time good job. I can perceive the changes done. It has gone quite far! I like it all the way. I'll have to listen it back on system outside of my headphone.

I think there is an issue with the eq but I want to confirm it. Otherwise everything is so good and well mixed.

Gratz on making a short source that long. And I mean it!

This is definitely an interesting direction to take the track - I like it quite a bit. I wonder if you could provide a timestamp for source usage? If you have it tagged for mod review it sounds like you'll want to submit it to OCR (that's what the tag is for, after all), so I figure I can help you out a little bit while I'm browsing in here (haven't done that in some time!) - if anything, that's the item that'll most likely raise an eyebrow, but it's not too difficult to nip in the bud with some timestamps up front. :)

Whatever the plans for this, I do think it's a really cool track regardless. Sounds like you want to take a second pass on the mixing and EQ, which I can agree with - sounds like you already know how you intend to improve it.

Anyway, enjoyin' the sound on this one!

Hi Gario! Thanks for taking the time to listen to my track, I’m glad you liked it!

Yes, the goal is to submit it to OCR. Thanks for the suggestion, here are the timestamps.

Links to source songs, I will refer to these names in the timestamps:

Underworld Theme Part 1: 0:00-0:04
Underworld Theme Part 2: 0:04-0:10
Success
Bonus Start
Failure

0:00-0:17

Intro

0:00-0:02

Reverse lead and cymbal with sound effect from bonus game slot machine.

0:02-0:17

“Underworld Theme Part 1” both bass and lead.

0:17-0:47

Bass Section 1

0:17-0:32

“Underworld Theme Part 1 Bass”.

0:32-0:47

“Underworld Theme Part 1 Bass”, with some variation.

0:47-0:55

Break 1

0:47-0:55

“Underworld Theme Part 2 Lead”.

0:55-1:26

Bass Section 2

0:55-1:26

Here the bass plays a variation of the “Underworld Theme Part 1 Lead”. Also the drums from the “Underworld Theme” starts here.

1:08-1:10

“Success”

1:23-1:26

“Success”

1:26-1:56

Build Up 1

1:26-1:41

“Underworld Theme Part 2 Lead”.

1:41-1:56

This tropical sounding instrument plays a faster variant of “Underworld Theme Part 2 Lead”.

1:56-2:34

Main Section 1

1:56-2:34

Same as above but with more instruments and percussion.

2:34-3:20

Break 2

2:34-2:49

Original bassline inspired by the source.

2:49-3:04

Strings play chords that I came up with that sounded nice togheter with “Underworld Theme Part 2 Lead”. An Arp plays a variation of these chords.

3:04-3:20

Pad plays a variation of “Underworld Theme Part 2 Lead”. Piano plays a counter-melody.

3:20-3:34

Build Up 2

3:20-3:34

Pad now plays chords that I came up with that sounded nice togheter with “Underworld Theme Part 2 Lead”.

3:34-4:12

Main Section 2

3:34-4:04

Mostly the same as “Main Section 1” except now it uses elements from “Break 2” and “Build Up 2”.

4:04-4:12

Here I added some new chords, I thought they sounded familiar… turns out they sounds like the "Course Clear Fanfare" from Super Mario Bros. 1.

4:12-4:26

Slowdown

4:12-4:26

Mostly the same as “Bass Section 1”.

4:26-5:16

Outro

4:26-5:04

Piano and Flute plays variations of “Underworld Theme Part 2 Lead”.

5:04-5:16

“Bonus Start” and “Failure” theme morphing into a part of the “Overworld Theme” from Super Mario Bros. 1.

Edited by Tab Newflax

I'm digging this way more since it's finished. You made a good job at refining it. Sounds effect well used and I spotted a couple difference from the v1 to v5. Well Done Mate!

I don't know if it is only me or my habits on bass heavy material, the low end got buried under all the stuff happening. Not that this is bad. A moderator maybe able to clafiry the case. I might be wrong.

EVAL

Mmm, glad I've been following this gem - it's matured into something really cool, not gonna lie. I think the arrangement is pretty clear, though I still recommend sending timestamps with any submission e-mail; makes the judgment process much faster. Actually, that's really advice that any submission could follow: timestamps make judges happy and less likely to miss any references in the track, if they're subtle.

Anyhoo, the production is quite good, and for the most part the mix is clear. The supersaw at 1:56 could come out more to the front of the mix, as it carries the most recognizable part of the source. 4:04 could use less going on there, too, since the mix get crowded for a short time there, which I'm not sure a mixdown could fix. The overall EQ balance sounds heavy in the upper range, to my ears, though I'd probably need to put it through a spectral analyzer to be sure. Could use some high pass on a few of the noisier instruments to give that space some breathing room.

To be frank, though, these are nit picks; if you submit this as is I'd be very surprised if it got anything less than a YES. You've been working on this for some time, so I recommend sending it out there so you can explore new territory. Great work!

On 11/21/2021 at 11:22 PM, Rockos said:

I'm digging this way more since it's finished. You made a good job at refining it. Sounds effect well used and I spotted a couple difference from the v1 to v5. Well Done Mate!

Thanks Rockos! :D

On 11/26/2021 at 8:56 AM, Gario said:

To be frank, though, these are nit picks; if you submit this as is I'd be very surprised if it got anything less than a YES. You've been working on this for some time, so I recommend sending it out there so you can explore new territory. Great work!

Thanks for the feedback Gario! :D 
I will take the nitpicks into consideration if I need to revisit the track later. I will submit it as it is now, and include the timestamps.

• 2 weeks later...

Evaluation:
Well well well, this is a rad track.  I did go back and find the judge's decision to see more about what they were saying despite not have hearing the previous version.

Here is my breakdown on source usage:

0:01-0:46 source
0:47-0:54 source
0:55-1:25 multiple sources
1:26-2:33 multiple sources with variation and additions on each repeat

2:38-2:41 source interpretation

**2:42-3:19 original material inspired by sources**

3:20-4:03 interpreted source
4:04-4:11 original build
4:12-4:26 source
4:27-4:36 source

276 seconds total
183 seconds of source without interpretation
229 seconds with interpretation

This should be enough usage to get you over that hump that was mentioned previously.  I do notice that things return or loop a few times, but you do vary up each return so that it's not the exact same thing playing again (which is good).  I.e. Adding a different instrument, rhythm, or melodic variation.  You manage to keep the arrangement fresh and it changes right when it needs to, especially with a 10 second source to utilize.  Production is solid throughout.  My only nitpick is 2:27-2:33 gets a bit too busy to really be clear with all of the parts going on at the same time.  Considering it was just a quick spot of that it's not a deal breaker for me, just would like to point it out as it could lead to issues if there was more.

Overall, very nice track.  I dug this quite a bit, and would love to see this passing.  Good luck on your resub!

[This is an automatically generated message]

I've reviewed your remix and have set it to Completed status, indicating that I think your remix is ready to be submitted to the Judges Panel. Congratulations!

If you feel like you still need to work on your track and want more feedback, you can change the prefix back to Work-in-Progress and we'll go through the review process again.

If you decide to submit your track, please change the prefix to Submitted after sending your email. Thank you!