MnP 123: Double Dose: Shinobii III - Inner Darkside & Rise of the Robots - BHFO3 Builder

TheVideoGamer

Compo: MnP (Meat 'n Potatoes)

The last round ended at a tie between me, TheVideoGamer and TheVodouQueen. Congratulations to both!  As a result, we both get participate in a double dose round! Here's what TheVodouQueen had to say during her pick:

"Right, so... Most people thought (especially back in the '90s) that girls weren't into video games--and if they were, they'd be playing something related to Barbie, or as later in the 2000s, the Bratz doll games, or something along those lines. But for me, as a girl, I was playing stuff like Shinobi 3. Not only was it one of my first games for the Genesis, (besides Sonic 1 & 2), it was one of my favorite of the action-platformer genre to play, (the next being Gunstar Heroes for the same system). It was also the first game with a ninja protagonist and theme I got to play, even before Ninja Gaiden or Strider. I used to play the ever-loving shit out of this, and the soundtrack is not only awesome and high-octane, but shows off a lot of what the Genesis had to offer for its 16-bit soundscape. Sad to see, again, it be one of those games on OCR grossly under-represented, with only--as far as I can see--the song 'Whirlwind' being remixed.

So, I really want to pick a source from one of the classics and my personal faves. :D And I hope everyone else gets to enjoy too, if they hadn't heard this one before. ^^ Going for something a lil' bit...darker, this time. ;) Let's see what ya'll can do with it. <3 " - TheVodouQueen

GAME: Shinobi III (Sega Genesis/Mega Drive)

SOURCE: Inner Darkside

VIDEO:

And here is what i had to say about my pick:

"I went for a game with arguably a simple soundtrack, but a damn near effective one. As you can tell, i'm a huge electronica nerd, so soundtracks like this to me, are just awesome. The game was supposed to be revolutionary, advertised as the next evolution in gaming, however it turned out to be complete garbage. Development hell, clunky controls, a soundtrack that was supposed to be by Brian May (Of Queen Fame), full motion video for all scenes, and of course 32mb of power. It never came close sadly. The robot designs were modified at the last minute, so the graphics didn't use it's full potential. The FMV scenes were scrapped, meaning only the intro is full motion video. Mirage could only license one Brain May song, already released under the name "The Dark" as an opener to his debut solo record "Back to the Light", the rest of the score was done by Richard Joseph and Jason Page (Also noted for it's rave score, than Brain's rock styled affair), and the controls were reported to be really clunky and stiff. Oh well, if you ignore the controls, the game actually looks great, especially one of the higher end, in terms of graphics.

Anyways enough about history, this track is awesome (As is, the whole soundtrack). It balances out a perfect blend of simplicity, combing Breakbeats, Bass Stabs, Cyberpunk like synth chords, and a military marching rhythm. I think this can work for a great range of styles. Hell it might even work great with dark strings for a classical music setting! All in all, this one can be integrated into some many ideas, i hope you have a lot of fun with this!" - TheVideoGamer 

GAME: Rise of the Robots (SNES)

SOURCE: BHF03 Builder

VIDEO:

Deadline: 16th April @ 1PM

Closing Date: 18th April @ 1PM

Vote Ends: 25th April @ 1PM

MnP ARCHIVE  made by Trism ;)

submit: http://compo.thasauce.net/rounds/view/MnP123

MISSION STATEMENT
The goal of Compo:MnP is to promote that "meat and potatoes" conservative approach to remixing: this includes the mood and composition of source tunes. It is up to the remixer to create their own personalization, or to simply give it a sound upgrade. Moreover, the compo is a great opportunity to hone your remixing skills and give video game music the respect that is due. SOME reinterpretation is recommended, but not required.

MnP Instructions/Guidelines

1. Source-Picks are limited to the era of gaming 1984-2006.  In other words, Nes/Sega Master to PS2/GC/XBox 1. So far i'm still undecisive about this, but keep an eye out, things might change.
  2. Modifying the Source is fine, so long as it doesn't sound completely separate from its original intent. 
  3. If you're gonna do a genre change, at least make sure the original aspect of the source is not lost.
  4. Tempo changes are fine, as long as it's not a big change. I'm talking like, going from 80bpm to 140bpm. 
  5. Submissions must be at a maximum of 20mb (keeping in step with ThaSauce's file size max), and submitted as a MP3 file.
  6. Only 1 entry per participant. Previous winner cannot participate but can submit a BONUS entry. 
  7. Try to avoid making quality-based comments on submissions until after the Round is concluded.  It is to avoid a Bias in Votes.

MISC/TIPS
- When picking a source tune, make sure it has a MIDI to make people's lives easier.
- In-game sound FX are permitted, so long as they don't comprise the whole track (i.e. replacing entire MIDI tracks with just sfx)

Edited by TheVideoGamer

Oooo, Rise of the Robots! I had recently watched a "Wha' Happun'?" episode on it by Matt McMuscles on his YT channel. So the wonky history about the game I actually know about!

The song is pretty cool! :0 ...Would need a big think how to squish both together somehow... :3

BTW @TheVideoGamer, you got a bit of a typo on mine. It's from Shinobi III, you're missing an I. XD

On 3/20/2021 at 4:52 AM, The Vodoú Queen said:

Oooo, Rise of the Robots! I had recently watched a "Wha' Happun'?" episode on it by Matt McMuscles on his YT channel. So the wonky history about the game I actually know about!

The song is pretty cool! :0 ...Would need a big think how to squish both together somehow... :3

BTW @TheVideoGamer, you got a bit of a typo on mine. It's from Shinobi III, you're missing an I. XD

Ah lol thanks for the heads up! 

22 hours ago, anachromium said:

Nice source picks!

I assume it's fine to only remix one of the sources?

The previous winners can only submit a bonus of their own source, but they can remix the other tune or mix them both as an official entry.

As for the non winners, they can do whatever they like, whether it’s Source A, or Source B, or both. Usual, MnP rules would still apply of course.

So yeah, one source is fine.

Edited by TheVideoGamer

• 2 weeks later...

It really does. :D

I had a real hard time choosing a song from the OST for this, it was either Inner Darkside, Iyazoi, My Dear D and one other...but I hedged my bets on Inner cause TBH it was the song that really got me going and bobbing my head while slashing enemies apart.

The stage the song's in is pretty spooky and cool / interesting graphically as well! Look it up on YouTube sometime! I think it's Stage 3 or so, (after the horse ride and fighting your way past the guards and stuff to get deep into the facility they're in)... :3

If you guys are interested, one of the composers who also assisted with the score, did a re-arrange for the Phillips CDI. You might be interested.

They basically took this source, but replaced the stabs with dark strings, and enhanced more of the cyberpunk flavour. The breakbeat also becomes a background element, than a main feature, because Jason Page added more techno-industrial beats to the beat.

Link:

Edited by TheVideoGamer

17 minutes ago, Souperion said:

Yeah, that CDi remake is solid. Kinda glad I finished mine before you posted it, TVG, or I woulda stolen more ideas from it XD

Haha the main difference is the stabs are string chords, and the drums are techno-like. 

What's good about this version, is that it highlights how good the chord progression is. Again it's a simple track, your creativity is encouraged, but the strings do make a big difference.

Edited by TheVideoGamer

Also, in case people don't know or understand what I meant by the vague inspiration from my genre choice for the song:

The Glitch Mob is a trio electronica group. Song is slightly influenced from their earlier work like this album. Quite good stuff if you're interested. 

Also sorry for the extremely short blurb for my song. Was pretty angry and slightly frustrated with it. Really love both songs but IDK. I found the process of splicing them together incredibly hard by comparison to other people's experience (as well as trying a new genre-blend, while trying to keep in the MnP spirit) and felt like autistic screeching was going on in my brain by the end of it.

Seems to be the case I struggle with fusing songs together. Probably just something I need to work on. Hope people enjoy it nonetheless. o/ See y'all after the voting polls.

Edited by The Vodoú Queen

Welcome to the Voting Stage!

• There are 4 entries this round.
  • There is 0 Bonus entry(s) this round
  • There IS a voter bonus this round!
  • TheVodouQueen and TheVideoGamer both have a vote worth 2x. 
  • When Voting, if possible, avoid granting 1:1 covers top spot.  MnP requires a bit of remixage after all.  
  • Don't vote for Bonus entries please. 
  • Do let me know if you have problems voting, and we can sort something out.
  • Try and not make any comments about each entrant until after voting has concluded. Thanks!
  • Participants may not vote for themselves.  

Vote ends April 25th 1Pm.  

Vote here: http://compo.thasauce.net/rounds/view/MnP123