*NO* Muppet RaceMania "Free Ride"

Rexy

Remixer name:   Bluelighter (ID 21840)     
Mail:    
Game & Songs: Muppets RaceMania & Funfair and Museum   
Composer: Andy BLYTHE and Marten JOUSTRA 
https://www.blythe-joustra.com 

Hi OCR,    

Here is an electro arrangement of two themes of Muppets RaceMania. This game contributed a lot to my interest in video game music. Played by a real jazz band, this OST is funny and well represents Muppets' universe!   

Original pieces were yet well produced (with a real band player). An arrangement in orchestral style or piano would not have been adapted IMO. So I've tried another way, occasion to make sthg different from my usual works on OCR.  

More than electro sonorities, I've used some orchestral elements (brass and timpani). But it's in background, I didn't want to split me in too much styles. 

A soft intro announces the main melody and the rhythm in progression. After a transition at pt2, the main melody of funfair is played from part 3 to part 5, with a more marked rhythm.  

At part 6, I introduced museum theme. The original tempo was quicker than Funfair. So I've rethought the rhythm of the melody.   
At part 8 and 9, return to the funfair theme (with introducing of the chromatic scale that makes the identity of the original track IMO).  

Part 10 is the natural following of the funfair theme with ML3 (cf. breackdown). But I realized it well married with ML7 of Museum theme, with similar harmonies. So, I've used these two melodic lines.  

After, there is a repetition of funfair theme more developed. The mix concludes by the outro, similar to the intro.  

Enjoy :)

Guillaume    

Originals 

Funfair 

• 0'00 intro - Melodic Line 0 
  • 0'04 ML1 
  • 0'18 ML2 
  • 0'33 ML3 
  • 0'48 ML4 
  • 1'01 ML1 
  • 1'40 ML1 + ML4 

Gallery 

• 0'00 ML5 
  • 0'25 ML6 
  • 0'48 ML7 
  • 1'10 variations 

Breakdown   

1. 0'00 Intro 
  2. 0'25 Melodic line 0 
  3. 0'30 ML1 
  4. 0'44 ML2 + synthe impro 
  5. 0'59 ML3 
  6. 1'16 ML5 
  7. 1'30 ML5 + ML6 (ML1 in background) 
  8. 1'45 ML0
  9. 1'51 ML2 + ML4
  10. 2'06 ML3 + ML7
  11. 2'22 ML1 + ML2 + ML4
  12. 2'37 outro
Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

• 5 months later...

ost sounds great! what a fun set of tracks.

intro has some fun electronic and brass stuff going on. the initial presentation of everything at 0:30 has a great feel and is easily recognizable. this continues for a bit, and then there's some really weird stuff going on at 1:16 for a while. several synth runs that just feel like they go in really weird directions, and lots of non chord tones that aren't supported enough to sound like they fit. i can't tell if it's echo from verb or if it's actually just odd notes. this goes through about 1:50. the sections after that continue with the initial vibe of pretty fun stuff, and it's got a fade-out ending that is pretty straightforward.

from the mastering side, it sounds pretty solid for the first and last third, and in the middle it becomes obvious that there's two bass instruments that were playing unison and stop during that period. since those two instruments aren't playing the same stuff (in fact they play a bunch of discordant stuff) it sounds really muddy for that middle 35 seconds or so.

the middle section i've talked about is enough for me to say "huh, this is weird" and not pass it. it's both muddy and i felt like the way the parts play together there's a lot of messy notes. the rest of it is great though! i really liked the energy and feel outside of that part.

NO

• prophetik music changed the title to 2020/12/17 - (1N) Muppet RaceMania "Free Ride"
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks for sharing this source!  I've heard the name but had no idea it had an actual jazz band behind it.  It's really good.

This is a very creative take, and I love the interplay between the two themes.  I do feel like there's something off with the mixing, though.  A lot of the important accompaniment is carried by the marimba, and it's frequently buried in the mix.  It's also consistently a hair slow on the beat.

I'm actually less happy with the mixing from 0:58-1:15 than 1:15-1:50; there's a lot going on in the bass range that's getting muddy there.  I do hear some long tails on the delay/reverb in 1:15-1:50, but I can pick it out of the mix, and it doesn't bother me at all.

2:06-2:21 also has some problematic mixing.  The bass is loud, and here the long reverb on the glockenspiel does result in some muddiness in the mid-highs.

Speaking of the mid-highs, that's almost where the soundscape peaks.  There's very little presence in the highs throughout.  The cymbals in particular are strangely smushed.  As a result, the soundscape is thinner than it really ought to be.

This is a really good arrangement overall, just needs some cleanup.  I hope we'll see it back soon!

NO (resubmit)

• MindWanderer changed the title to 2020/12/17 - (2N) Muppet RaceMania "Free Ride"
  • 4 months later...

What a great couple of source tunes! Thanks for bringing them to my attention! They do work well together, and the direction you've chosen to take them is perfect as well - transitioning to an EDM take is a great way to keep the energy levels high. At times, I was reminded of the Diddy Kong Racing soundtrack, so good job getting the feel right for the genre.

For the most part, I liked your sound design and synth choices, however the left-panned background bell sound at the beginning has too much detune on it for my taste. It's playing 3 notes, and the first of those (e.g. 0:00, 0:04, 0:08, 0:12 etc.) seems to clash with the other instruments.

I also have a big issue with the drums, the main offender being the almost inaudible snare. There's a very thin clap sound, with not much else to it. I think I can hear some filter automation on it during the build at 1:45, but it's too quiet to hear easily. The hi-hats are also super thin, which might not be a problem if the snare had more body to it. I like the looseness to the swing of them, and you might want to consider adding some open hat hits to spice up the groove in places as well. The kick hits hard, and I'm not hearing much sidechaining (if any), so I'd suggest experimenting with some sidechaining - certainly on the low frequencies. You could probably dial back the kick a few dB with the addition of a sidechain, and free up some more headroom.

Finally, you've got a fadeout ending! Not necessarily a problem, but BOTH sources have nice, resolved endings, and I was disappointed to hear a fadeout at the end of this ReMix - especially as it's just under 3 minutes long. I reckon you could do better with that, and give this track a proper finale!

As it stands though, it's a really fun and enjoyable ReMix. I'd love to hear this one given some improvements and sent back.

NO (resubmit)

• DarkSim changed the title to 2020/12/17 - (3N) Muppet RaceMania "Free Ride"
  • Liontamer changed the title to *NO* Muppet RaceMania "Free Ride"