50's Educational Filmstrips (what kind of music?)

supremespleen

Me and my friends make movies for fun, and today we're doing a parody of one of those 50's educational films. The problem is, I don't know what to call the music that is typically in these, so I cannot search for it. I'm sure a lot of this tuneage is public domain.

I need either song titles, the name of this genre, or sound-alikes (maybe some ocremixes?). Any ideas? Here are some examples of the typical music that shows up in these things.

Also also here (nsfw)

Yeah... hard to come by.

Though this week alone I had a good vg remix idea for something that would suit that style...

I recommend either learning how to make it yourself, bugging people who know how to imitate it well enough to make it for you, or finding a way to steal it from filmstrips... it's not like people are really gonna catch the (potential) copyright infringement unless the filmstrip is famous anyway.

Well, there are two games that I know of who have similar soundtracks. The first is the well know original The Sims. The buy and build mode music sometimes resembles this. The other is the Monopoly Tycoon for the PC. At times, the music is somewhat similar, but to a lot lower extent. It's more jazzy and upbeat, characteristic of a certain era, other then this kind of music.

I recommend either learning how to make it yourself, bugging people who know how to imitate it well enough to make it for you, or finding a way to steal it from filmstrips... it's not like people are really gonna catch the (potential) copyright infringement unless the filmstrip is famous anyway.
Pretty much all this stuff is public domain. I've already thought about ripping the music from one of the videos online, but there are voice overs an all of them. And sadly, none of my mates that make music make anything remotely similar to this.

humbug

Hint for making some yourself:

Squidfont Orchestral soundfont (pizzacato strings), Izotope Vinyl Lo Fi VST (if you want it to sound old), and your mixing program of choice set to 200 bpm.

If I'm bored I'll see if I can't make some later.

Don't have the set up to do that.

Anyway, Buy Mode 1 from the Sims worked perfectly. I should have the finished version online tomorrow. Not sure if the final product will appeal to you guys, our stuff is mostly funny to people that know us.

The music you're looking for is often called champagne music. It's kind of a spin-off of big band, from the late 40's and early 50's. Just look for Lawrence Welk on whatever P2P service you prefer and you're bound to find something you can use.

You can also use amazon to preview some tracks and stuff.

Oh, really? I'll have to check that stuff out for future projects.

This is the final version of our video:

Not too bad.