PRC425 - The Great Track 8 (Zork 1)

Bundeslang

It's results time.

TheVideoGamer did a bonus mix.

TheVodouQueen and Wassup Thunder tie with 9 points, second place and the last place wooden spoon.

And the winner of PRC425 is Souperion by unanimous decision with 12 points.

Souperion you are the winner. You may pick a source for PRC427. Send the source to me (with a MID/MP3 file, otherwise send a second source with a MID file) by PM, other options are PM me @ ThaSauce or by e-mailing to bambombim@gmail.com (I prefer a PM @Ocremix). Send your source as fast as you can, but before next Wednesday (5 May 2021), 11:00 AM ThaSauce time (18:00 UTC, 19:00 GMT).

You may select any source from any game, but not a source with an OverClocked remix or a source which has been used in PRC before. An overview of the past PRC's can be found in the following links (I recently updated this site):

http://sites.google.com/site/bambombim/prc

http://bambombim.googlepages.com/PRCRemixList.doc (also downloadable via the link above).

http://compo.thasauce.net/rounds/view/PRC425 for the votes and comments.

PRC426 already started:

Meh, no chance of getting the vote in this time, got held up. :/ But as a good side note, I didn't had to choose for a winner this way. Loved all four tracks, great work everyone!

Congratulation @Souperion on taking the win! Well earned!

I might try and post a little bit of feedback tomorrow in this thread, if you want. :)

Looks like i missed out. I was busy, so i forgot about it lol.

Give me a second, gonna listen and post some comments here....

Souperion - Very nice take on this source. The original did give off a medieval kind of vibe, but done with a synthesizer. So the feeling is there, but not the sound. In this case, i really like how you've made it more cinematic and fitting to some kind of war/battle thing from the old period. I don't know what movie matches, but the one closest to me, would be 300 or LOTR. I really love the strings, and the drums work super well. It does fit perfectly in orchestral music. Now the one problem i have, and it doesn't make it bad in anyways, but it's a bit off, and that's the drums. The drums seem to be a little artificial, in the way you've programmed the rhythms. It doesn't feel like a real orchestral percussionist would accurate play that. Sometimes in FL Studio, when i try and change the length, through dragging, it can overlap, and miss a few notes out, or i didn't move it far enough to fit the bar, so the result feels a little off in the timing, a part of me notices this when i listen. Getting side-tracked here lol. I do dig the rest though, the strings are lovely, and so is the brass. Not sure about the tempo changes for me, but they weren't that noticeable, so it was all good. All in all, i loved the work here, well done!

Wassup Thunder - Interesting how the drums seem to go against the source, since you've used 4/4 drums in a 3/4 melody. This doesn't change anything thankfully, and the result still sounds lovely. I dig that melody though, the strings work super well here! The synths almost play off the original vibe, since Yuzo made this with a synthesizer. The arrangement is very solid as well, keeps me engaged throughout, loved it. The only flaw i have, is because you are working with a 4/4 beat, parts of the source get cut off, and that feels too jarring to me. Maybe i'm more used to the original, who knows. Musically it's very consistent, and although it's probably part of the style, i still feel a break is needed, maybe even a breakdown. Something to make me hyped for the build-up, or anything like that, maybe even emphasis the atmosphere. Still though, i love the melody arranging, and the way you've played that with the source, definitely high-regards there. As a whole, lovely work, well done!

TheVodouQueen - This is probably the first time i've heard you make orchestral music on PRC. Really like the work here, your arrangement skills are top notch as always, love your creativity. You translate all the melodies and harmonies very well in this remix. I could never do effective orchestral music, in the same way others can. Now i have to be honest, i can sense this is not the kind of music you usually make, because most of the dynamics were very static. And the sounds felt more synthetic than authentic. The harpsichord feels more like a synth, and some of the strings sustain for way too long. Some parts also feel out of key, but it could be way you've arranged it. Now to bring this into a more positive light, the arrangement needs to be complimented, i really love how you made a full blown second part, with new melodies and chords, and it works amazingly well. It's almost like a lovely continuation of the original. The chords in this part, were incredible. All in all, definitely strong work in the melody parts here. Maybe a little too off course, if i have to critique it as a remix, it nearly went into a separate track altogether, however i cannot deny it's a lovely addition. As a whole, this is super unique, and a joy to listen to. Well done!

3 hours ago, Bundeslang said:

It's results time.

TheVideoGamer did a bonus mix.

TheVodouQueen and Wassup Thunder tie with 9 points, second place and the last place wooden spoon.

And the winner of PRC425 is Souperion by unanimous decision with 12 points.

Souperion you are the winner. You may pick a source for PRC427. Send the source to me (with a MID/MP3 file, otherwise send a second source with a MID file) by PM, other options are PM me @ ThaSauce or by e-mailing to bambombim@gmail.com (I prefer a PM @Ocremix). Send your source as fast as you can, but before next Wednesday (5 May 2021), 11:00 AM ThaSauce time (18:00 UTC, 19:00 GMT).

You may select any source from any game, but not a source with an OverClocked remix or a source which has been used in PRC before. An overview of the past PRC's can be found in the following links (I recently updated this site):

http://sites.google.com/site/bambombim/prc

http://bambombim.googlepages.com/PRCRemixList.doc (also downloadable via the link above).

http://compo.thasauce.net/rounds/view/PRC425 for the votes and comments.

PRC426 already started:

Congrats Souperion! You all did great work!