ReMixer Name: Cory Johnson
Email: 
Forum UserID: 37245

Name of Game: StarCraft
Name of Arrangement: Creep Colony
Name of individual song arranged: Zerg Theme 2
Game Page: 
https://ocremix.org/game/220/starcraft-win

I feel like it's usually Terran music that gets most of the attention when people cover this game, but Zerg and Protoss have some of the best, moody, ambient tracks in the series. That also makes it more of a challenge to cover, so I took that challenge. This was originally recorded for Dwelling of Duels's August 2019 "Free Month" and later released on my Dwelling of Duels entry compilation album called "Duels" in 2020.

• 1 month later...

this soundtrack is so much fun. props for picking a more complex track for the remix.

big hit to start. the tonal shift at 0:15 is just instantly recognizable despite the new instrumentation. the guitars at 0:52 are really aggressive and i love the pitch mod on them. the build towards 1:27 is really solid, and 1:27 is also great. i like the approach of having multiple leads on the melody to simulate the original synth that played the melodic line there.

2:05 drops off in tempo and volume, and there's some fun sfx and a heavily-effected bass noodling. very atmospheric throughout here. the wooblesynth you've got doing the higher pitched parts at 3:00 is fun but it cuts itself so it sounds a little weird considering it has a longer attack. either way the rest of the background here is excellent, lots going on but still identifiable. the drop at 3:38 is very intense - there's a lot of energy there without losing the build you just did.

3:55 brings that back to the forefront. i like the focus switching between guitar and synth in this section. this took a little longer to build up to supermax than i expected, with a little more repetition than i expected, but it kept getting bigger and eventually maxed out for a big wall of sound ending. i like the ending and the repetition used there. normally i'm not for abrupt endings but this was in keeping in the rest of the track's style.

excellent track. very impressive work.

YES

• prophetik music changed the title to 2021/01/13 - (1Y) Starcraft "Creep Colony"

Man, Starcraft has some classic music - it's a shame people don't do more arrangements of it around here. This one shows that the Blizzard soundtracks have a lot of potential for some great ReMixes, to boot. The arrangement is pretty clean cut, but the change from synths to guitars adds a lot of character to the arrangement (especially considering how ambient and alien the source sounds). It is a hair on the conservative side, but I think there's enough personal flair to it to give a pass to it.

Oooh, I am falling in love with these filters applied to the guitars to create those alien sweeps and other effects. It's really a song that benefits from such wild filters and effects, with much of the song being otherwise static and/or repetitive. It's a really great way to keep things interesting and maintain the illusion of movement in the track.

Great production values seal the deal for me. While I could see others perhaps being hesitant on posting this due to it being conservative, I think it meets our bar pretty well.

YES

• Gario changed the title to 2021/01/13 - (2Y) Starcraft "Creep Colony"
  • 3 months later...

Hell yes, we finally get a Cory Johnson submission! I've been a huge fan of your work ever since your post-rock Zelda album ages ago. 

The sound design here is absolutely off the hook, and the way you've integrated it with more traditional rock instrumentation is incredibly seamless and well-produced across the board. A lot has been said about the guitars and the various effect chains you've employed here, but I also want to comment on the drums, which are written with a lot of finesse and nuance as well and always suit the energy level of the track at any given moment. There's a great ebb and flow throughout the entire track while always pushing toward a final climax, which finally comes at 5:22 - while I was expecting something to happen, the absolute ferocity of it caught me totally off guard and REALLY sold me on this arrangement as a whole. Way to bring it all home! 

There's a lot of good to speak about this arrangement, and I'm glad you've chosen to send it our way. I sincerely hope we hear more from you in the future!!

YES

• Emunator changed the title to 2021/01/13 - (3Y) Starcraft "Creep Colony"

Not much to add to the above.  It's indeed tricky to work with less melodic source material and not have it come out similar in mood.  This is still definitely sci-fi, but I could never accuse it of being conservative.  It's a bit more Doom or Mutant Chronicles than Starcraft.  Excellent sound design, production, performance, the works.

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR04269 - *YES* StarCraft "Creep Colony"