Which should I get, the Boss GT-8 or Pod XT Live?

xaph

Hi guys! I'm new here, but I've always lurked around. I'm hoping to be a frequent member of the forums. My main instrument is the guitar, and I'm pretty good at it, so I'm looking forward to start contributing a proper electric guitar/acoustic guitar based remix soon. (And to the other guitarists, hi!)

Thing is, I've always been dependent on single pedals for effects. Lately I've been saving up a bit to get a multieffects pedal, and now I'm torn in between getting either one of these two creatures: the Boss GT-8, or the Pod XT Live. I've personally tested out the GT-8, and I'm in love with it. The amp model varieties, dynamic picking sensitivity feature, the multitude of effects, the patches, the ability to reroute the order of the effects, the two-amps engine (forgot what it was called), and other features are awesome. The attendant technician also explained that the GT-8's pre-amp is so good it beats the lower-range and some mid-range amps' (which is great, since I only have a basic practice amp, a Marshall B25 MK II).

The GT-8 would be great for live playing sessions. Unfortunately, I'm not that acquainted with the features of the Pod XT Live, but I've heard good stuff about it. So could anyone detail to me the capabilities of the Pod XT, and also compare the two?

My needs aren't that extensive; I just want to have a good gear to be with me when I'm playing live, and if possible it would also be a great recording equipment. I think the Pod XT is more geared towards being a recording instrument by itself; with the software given and the USB output and all; the Boss GT-8 however requires further purchase of other recording equipments, and it doesn't seem to have the ease of software. But of course I could be sadly mistaken due to my lack of knowledge, so I'd appreciate it if anyone could give me a firm grounding in this matter. I've read this post on the forum, it helped, but it hasn't fully answered my question.

I'm not that advanced in my knowledge of audio-tech wizardry, so while it's okay to go in-depth I'd appreciate some clarifications of the more technical jargons. I'll post further questions as I get to them. And it would be seriously, seriously, seriously appreciated if someone could be an experienced 'mentor' of sorts before I make my purchase (and subsequent purchases after that too.) Thanks in advance!

(P/S: I'm currently in love with Sonic 3 'Walk on Water'. It's groovy, the Latin-based syncopated interlude in the middle is a nice touch, plus that ending with the more treblish and palm-muted crunchy guitar solo is just great!)

Hard decision to make. Bottom line, the PODxt has better sounding amp models and cab/mic emualation, but the GT8 is superior in effects and routing. And yeah, the cool thing with the PODxt is that it also works as a sound card. Just connect to your PC via USB and you're ready to go. I guess in the end I'd recommend the PODxt Live. Works great for live use, too.

Hard decision to make. Bottom line, the PODxt has better sounding amp models and cab/mic emualation, but the GT8 is superior in effects and routing. And yeah, the cool thing with the PODxt is that it also works as a sound card. Just connect to your PC via USB and you're ready to go. I guess in the end I'd recommend the PODxt Live. Works great for live use, too.

Just wondering, what do you mean by better sounding amp models? Aren't they the same for both the GT-8 and the PODxt?

And if the PODxt includes a sound card, does that mean when I plug it into my computer using my USB I can automatically start recording whatever comes out of it? Or does the PODxt still have to go through my amp, and from the amp to the computer?

Just wondering, what do you mean by better sounding amp models? Aren't they the same for both the GT-8 and the PODxt?

And if the PODxt includes a sound card, does that mean when I plug it into my computer using my USB I can automatically start recording whatever comes out of it? Or does the PODxt still have to go through my amp, and from the amp to the computer?

The modeling in the GT-8 and the PODxt is most definitely not the same. Amp models in the PODxt sound alot more realistic while the stomp and effects models in the GT-8 trump Line6.

And yes, you can record direct from the PODxt. No amp needed.

I second that. I have a PODxt, and it's great. If you have any specific questions about it, fire away!

EDIT: Speaking of the modeling, making the amp models is a very complicated process involving a lot of signal analysis and number crunching to get, basically, a mathematical model of how a given amp responds when it's sent a certain type of signal. Line 6 have their own method of doing this, and BOSS have their own method and each company makes their own models. So they're not the same. Comparing the amp models from a technical point of view is a case of apples and oranges to an extent.. both aim for the same end, but the means are different.

From a playing point of view, due to the underlying technology, the models in the PODxt are regarded to be subjectively better. This is because the process that Line 6 use results in a more accurate, life-like model. Your mileage may vary.

I had a Pod Pro (older version of the XT) until I just recently sold it due to lack of use. It definitely had some nice sounds by itself, but I liked to put it in front of my Marshall JMP and combine the tones.

I'd have to suggest the Line 6 just based on the Pod I owned.. the newer models could only get better, right?

It can, but basically you'd need to be either:

1. Using the modelling amp as a power amp & cab, ie. bypass the modelling in that. If the modelling amp does not have a full range speaker, you'd need to either turn off the cab modelling in the PODxt or then use an output compensation setting built into it.

2. Turn off the amp (and cab) modelling in the PODxt and use it for the (pre-amp) effects, and use the modelling amp for the amp modelling.

3. Make patches on the PODxt that sound good in combination with the modelling amp. This would probably involve cranking the highs and tweaking like mad. It'd probably be fairly difficult to actually get a good sound, or a sound that's better than the 2 pieces in gear on their own.

So, basically, you're going to have to compromise something. Either use the amp modelling on only one of the two, or then make special patches for the combination.

I second that. I have a PODxt, and it's great. If you have any specific questions about it, fire away!

EDIT: Speaking of the modeling, making the amp models is a very complicated process involving a lot of signal analysis and number crunching to get, basically, a mathematical model of how a given amp responds when it's sent a certain type of signal. Line 6 have their own method of doing this, and BOSS have their own method and each company makes their own models. So they're not the same. Comparing the amp models from a technical point of view is a case of apples and oranges to an extent.. both aim for the same end, but the means are different.

From a playing point of view, due to the underlying technology, the models in the PODxt are regarded to be subjectively better. This is because the process that Line 6 use results in a more accurate, life-like model. Your mileage may vary.

Just to note, I've never played any of the amps (in real life) that the virtual model amps in the Boss GT-8 or Pod XT are modelled after. I wouldn't know how they sound. In that case, does it really matter whether the modelled amps sound like their true selves or not? And in a live setting, can people actually distinguish what kind of amps they are, and is that really important?

I was just wondering, that with everyone saying the Pod XT sounds more real than the Boss GT-8, whether, on a comparative basis of the other features offered by the two-multieffects, which of the two would make a better purchase.

I've read up a bit on the GT-8's recording capabilities though, and spoken with some people. I've heard that its recording quality sucks in comparison to the Pod XT's though. Hmm.

Just to note, I've never played any of the amps (in real life) that the virtual model amps in the Boss GT-8 or Pod XT are modelled after. I wouldn't know how they sound. In that case, does it really matter whether the modelled amps sound like their true selves or not? And in a live setting, can people actually distinguish what kind of amps they are, and is that really important?

It's not just a case of them sounding like the real thing, it's also a case of them sounding real. The models in the GT-8, from what I've read and heard, don't sound as dynamic and live as the ones in the Pod XT.

So it's kind of like playing the same song on a good keyboard piano patch, and a real grand piano. The first might come close, but the second is going to be more expressive. The keyboard has more "features" (GT-8 = more, better effects + better effects routing), but the grand piano does the piano sound REALLY well in comparison (Pod XT = better amp models).

Mind you, the effects in the Pod XT are still good, the ones in the GT-8 are just better. Boss makes basically the best effects in the business.. there are several effects in the Pod that are actually based on Boss products.

However, if you're going to be recording music with your computer, you can basically achieve the same flexibility of effects routing in your recording software, if it supports VST effects, for example. The Pod XT is capable of reamping over it's digital USB connection. What that means, is that you can record your part so that you hear your guitar tone going through the amp model and any effects you have enabled in the Pod XT, but it's actually recording the clean, unprocessed guitar sound. Then, after you're done recording, if you want effects pre-amp, put any effects in any configuration you want that your recording software supports, and them reamp the signal through the Pod XT, which basically means playing the track back, and recording what the Pod outputs to a different track.

If you want effects post-amp, just record your part and add them in the software to the recording.

Obviously, you're going to need to get the effects from somewhere (there's loads of great free stuff on the net), and it probably won't be as easy as dialing up the effect you want on the GT-8's panel. But good amp models, or even decent ones, are something that you can't get for free as VST's.

The recording quality in the Pod XT is basically perfect, if you use the USB connection to record to software (thus bypassing your soundcard). The analog outputs are also pristine, but I've never used them to record, just to output to my stereo system. I'd imagine the outputs on the GT-8 are good as well, but remember that if you're recording analog, the quality of the inputs on your soundcard (or other recording device) are just as important.

Ok, I ended up typing way more than I intended to, but I just love my Pod! :D Sorry if I sound like an ad.

IMO, the Pod XT is a better purchase, but I own one, and have never actually played through a GT-8.. ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Hands down the Boss GT-8. This effects processor blows the Pod out of the water. The reviews here are probably based off the factory settings, and obviously no tweaking was made. It takes a while to get the hang of, but when you do, you'll be in tonal nirvana.

Don't be biased by the fact that you can record directly from the pod. I'm pretty sure there will be latency issues, and you could just hook up a 1/4'' cable with 1/4'' to 1/8'' adapter (that you can find for 50cents) and put it in the line in of your sound card with the GT-8.

I've played gigs with both processors, and the tone of the pod was nowhere near as good as the gt-8. Trust me, get the GT-8.

How much time did you use to tweak the Pod and was it the XT or some previous incarnation? Also, how did you have it set up at the gigs? Going straight to PA? You wouldn't happen to have the patches you used still at your disposal?

I'm just wondering, because I'll be the first to admit that the Pod takes a fair bit of tweaking to get to sound as good as it can sound, and to hear you say it was nowhere as good makes me believe that a better tone could have been had. Different strokes for different folks and all that, but still.

Speaking of latency issues, if you have a budget / gaming oriented soundcard that doesn't support ASIO drivers, you're likely to get significantly less latency recording direct from the Pod into the computer, like 5 ms. This latency is not dependant on your computer either, as all the processing is happening in the Pod, your sequencing software is only reading a stream of data from the USB input. So basically, unless you can go below 5 ms with your soundcard, you're going to get less / better latency from the Pod.

Boss has obvously are larger palette of effects and is pretty good for ethereal clean or weird tones. So if you want to play clean rhythm guitars or screaming leads, I'd say go for the GT-8.

The POD has great high gain tones and is good for hard rock/metal rhythms and leads. Generally, low gains and bluesy leads always sound like shit without a very expensive cranked up tube amp.

While I don't use much low gain tones or bluesy stuff, one thing that helps to get a good tone like that with the Pod is to put something before the amp model, like an external distortion or compressor stomp set up to boost the signal somewhat. Or putting in a similarly configured stomp model in the stomp effects slot in the Pod, if nothing else is being used there.