Tips for EQing loud/epic tracks?

H36T

Hi there! I'm not big into the super loud epic stuff but I wanted to try some stuff for a request I got on my channel. One problem I'm always running into is getting things as loud sounding as I want or present as I want without clipping hard or just jacking up the sound stage. In the track in question I think I've come a long way from where I was at. Mostly doing easy automated eq panning with the solo instruments and lowering/raising the volume on certain instruments when I need them to back off or come forward. Still, I know if I wasn't an absolute EQ noob I'd be able to free up some of the soundstage here and there. Any tips for EQ settings or even just simple panning that may help?

Listen to Suikoden 2 - Neclord Battle Remaster (Preview) by 先輩王子 on #SoundCloud
https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/zoGFb

I'm still learning principles for good EQ and the like. One tip I've studied is to consider starting with subtractive EQ, lowering the volume and levels of instruments to help the ones you're after to stand out without increasing their volume at first. This can help your composition have more "room" in its sound levels. I balance this by increasing the limiter's ceiling on my track and increasing the over all gain some to compensate for the decreased volume.

Hope more skilled artists respond here, I could use more pointers myself.

• 1 month later...

I'm surprised there are this few replies to this. It's important to know how to mix loudly, but well.

What I do is mark down what frequency ranges are strongest in each instrument (depending on the number of instruments, it may be more or less manageable), and if they overlap, decide what you want to come through and scoop the EQ for the instrument you want to bring down. I always recommend that you EQ in the context of instruments playing together, and in that case, even if you scoop a frequency range, the net result may sound similar, although a single scooped instrument may be noticeably more hollow by itself.

Also keep in mind that if you overlay 2 instruments, the overall amplitude will be additive to some extent, so two instruments peaking at about -3 dB won't necessarily stack to become exactly -3 dB again because not all of the overlap cancels out perfectly. Try adjusting instrument loudness in pairs, or in combinations of 3, like this. You can do this more easily with a spectroscope like the free s(M)exoscope.

So basically, keep these things in mind:

- Scoop out frequencies in an instrument that is mid-heavy, and do so in context with other instruments so that you don't drastically alter the overall heaviness of the collection of sound.

- Look in a spectroscope that displays your waveform to see how your instruments' amplitudes stack together, and try adjusting instrument loudness in pairs.

Edited by timaeus222

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...