*NO* Dragon Warrior 2 "Three Is a Crowd"

Rexy

Original

Website

My remixer name is audiomancer, and the name of this remix is Three is a Crowd. It's a remix of the second walkabout theme from Dragon Warrior 2.

I made this on my phone using an app called Caustic 3. I really like how it turned out; it makes me think of Amiga MOD tracker music, so I went with it.

Thanks for your consideration.

Respectfully,
Audiomancer.
Edited by DragonAvenger

• Liontamer changed the title to 2021/01/26 - Dragon Warrior 2 "Three Is a Crowd"

high rms and pretty loud mastering overall right off the bat.

melody is apparent right from the beginning. there's some playiing with the B theme to mix it up (and some interesting chord choices to make it work). the A theme comes back pretty quickly and we get a little expansion with new instrumentation. there's a switch to triple meter right where it was starting to get a little static at 1:06, and some FF7 battle theme-esque riffs with a distorted synth. there's a bit of a break at about 1:48 and it comes back to duple for a recap that's very similar in instrumentation to the opening A/B section. 

this is honestly a pretty decent attempt using a not-DAW to make music. the mastering is pretty blown out, there's some funky notes in a few places (you settle on some non-chord tones around 0:26-0:30, and there's a reliance on a b7 between 2:06-2:14 that sounds odd), and the static nature of the synths throughout starts to get repetitive pretty quickly. i don't know what kind of flexibility you have in the app you're using, but if you're able to make it sound not so over-compressed and mix up your synth usage a bit more so it doesn't feel copy/paste from section to section, you'd have a pretty fun little track on your hands i think. right now i think there's too much repetitive texture usage and it's too blown out to consider.

NO

• prophetik music changed the title to 2021/01/26 - (1N) Dragon Warrior 2 "Three Is a Crowd"
  • 1 month later...

Caustic3 actually is a DAW, and it's not a horrible one, for fighting with the touchscreen interface.  I haven't tried to do anything really powerful with it, but calling it a not-DAW isn't really fair.  Still, it might be better to export each track individually and import them into a desktop DAW, or even Audacity, for mastering.

That wouldn't really help with the synth selection, though.  The bass in particular doesn't really change, or let up for more than a few seconds.  The ending loop, with its sort of call-and-response flair, might also work better with additional instrumentation instead of the same track responding to itself.

I'm basically in agreement with proph on both points.  It does need cleaner production, and it could really use some more instrumental variety.

NO

• MindWanderer changed the title to 2021/01/26 - (2N) Dragon Warrior 2 "Three Is a Crowd"
  • 2 weeks later...
  • DragonAvenger changed the title to *NO* Dragon Warrior 2 "Three Is a Crowd"