PRC428 - Battle Till The End (Battle Garegga)

Bundeslang

The People's Remix Competition 428
PRCv18-08

Hello everyone and Welcome to the People's Remix Competition!

In PRC426 it was TheVideoGamer who claimed the round. He picked the source for PRC428.

On 5/11/2021 at 4:51 AM, TheVideoGamer said:

I feel like a Shmup is in order. Shmup meaning "Shoot-em-Up". This one in particular is from Battle Garegga, which like with a lot of Japanese shoot-em-up's were insanely difficult, and insanely fast. They are often referred to as "Bullet Hell" games, because of this reason. I've played this game (Albeit, with a few modifications to make it easier lol) and it's still difficult haha. Battle Garegga was released in 1996, by the company known as Raizing, (which shortly after became Eighting), and it's known for a forward approach, meaning you just go straight into the game-play, no holds back. Anyways, i shouldn't ramble about the game, it's the awesome soundtrack i need to talk about.

The music was composed by Manabu Naimiki, and primarily follows an electronica score, but in a way, where it feels very melodic, and in parts, jazzy. As you progress, the music get's faster, to where the last few stages, are pretty intense and full-on. The track i'm presenting to you, is called "Underwater Rampart", which is the 2nd stage theme. You'll notice the interesting name there, as this is a slight nod to Underground Resistance (The 90's techno outfit). In fact you might as well call it a cover of Jupiter Jazz (Performed under their alias, Galaxy 2 Galaxy),from the chords to it's beat. The difference being, that Underwater Rampart has more atmosphere, and less jazz. Also the arrangement is ever so slightly different. Those who are familiar with Cowboy Bebop might recognise the song i'm talking about.

It also happens to have a shit-tonne of remixes, with 80-percent coming from the original composer, and those who worked on the Saturn port of the game (Shinji Hosoe, Ayako Saso, Hitoshi Sakimoto and a whole lot more remixed the Arcade soundtrack, Just google in the game, to find out the rest of the composers.) Even with it's sheer abundance of remixes (There's also a 2016 remake, which features another remixed soundtrack, as well as a commercial album of remixed material lol), from different people, it's still not even recognised on OCRemix, so no actual remixes exist of this, outside the composer and arrangers themselves. Hopefully you guys can fill the void. 

The tune is amazing, the chords are really interesting, and there are changes to make this an absolutely ripe song to remix! I hope you have fun with this!  

Game: Battle Garegga (Arcade)

Source: Underwater Rampart

And my own custom made MIDI:

https://vgmusic.com/file/a5df1960757ae52d1a24a8ebce464382.html#disqus_thread

Source: Battle Garegga (Arcade) - Underwater Rampart

http://compo.thasauce.net/files/materials/PRC428_Battle_Garegga_-_Underwater_Rampart.mid

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_Garegga

http://compo.thasauce.net/rounds/view/PRC428

The deadline is Wednesday June 16th 2021 at 10:59 am ThaSauce time (18:00 UTC, 19:00 GMT), check the link http://compo.thasauce.net/rounds/view/PRC428 for the exact time left. Make sure that the song is uploaded to ThaSauce or that there’s a download link posted in this thread. 

You may enter as many mixes as you like and work with as many people as you like on each mix. You are free to create a second ThaSauce account for that if you use ThaSauce, it's needed to be able to upload a second remix if you use ThaSauce. Of course you can also upload it somewhere else and put a download link in this thread.

Do not make qualitative comments on an entry until the results of the vote have been posted in this thread.

Mixers cannot vote for themselves but if they vote they receive a free first place vote added onto their score.

The winner of this round may select the source for PRC430.

The winner of PRC426, TheVideoGamer, who picked this source, has a double vote but can only participate by submitting a Bonus Mix 

You can find the full rules list at this page as well.

GOOD LUCK!

PRC Home Page

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but was this song (well it's alter-ego, "Jupiter Jazz") used in the show Cowboy Bebop? It feels like it was at some point for one of the chase scenes, and not just happenstance be the title of episodes 12 and 13, also called 'Jupiter Jazz'. ...I swear when I YT'd it and listened to the Underground Resistance / Galaxy 2 Galaxy version, I had heard it in the show before, but I am unsure. It's been literal years since I've seen it, TBF.

And to clarify--whether it is or not--what I mean in my song blurb is that I incorporated some Bebop fun stuff into it. ^^ Unsure if the song was actually used in the show, but based on its namesake, thought I'd do a couple of nods to the show and episodes themselves, based from the same name of the alternate track.

24 minutes ago, The Vodoú Queen said:

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but was this song (well it's alter-ego, "Jupiter Jazz") used in the show Cowboy Bebop? It feels like it was at some point for one of the chase scenes, and not just happenstance be the title of episodes 12 and 13, also called 'Jupiter Jazz'. ...I swear when I YT'd it and listened to the Underground Resistance / Galaxy 2 Galaxy version, I had heard it in the show before, but I am unsure. It's been literal years since I've seen it, TBF.

And to clarify--whether it is or not--what I mean in my song blurb is that I incorporated some Bebop fun stuff into it. ^^ Unsure if the song was actually used in the show, but based on its namesake, thought I'd do a couple of nods to the show and episodes themselves, based from the same name of the alternate track.

Basically Underground Resistance recorded a track called Jupiter Jazz in 1992. There are 2 versions of the song, one released under the alias Galaxy 2 Galaxy (Named Hi-Tech Jazz), which was intended for live performances and of course Jupiter Jazz. Both made by the same members of Underground Resistance.

Manabu Naimiki created a homage, in a form of a cover for the second stage of the Battle Garegga game. This is featured in the soundtrack as Underwater Rampart.

Cowboy Bebop also pays homage to Jupiter Jazz, the very song Manabu Naimiki was inspired by for Underwater Rampart. Baring in mind the second version, is also pretty much similar, but none of the composers/artists here used that version.

As far as i'm aware Jupiter Jazz is not in the OST of Cowboy Bebop, but did serve as the basis for 2 episodes, aptly titled Jupiter Jazz (Each part 1 and part 2).

Now i mention Galaxy 2 Galaxy, because the song is very much in line with Jupiter Jazz. Almost close to a remix. However as i reiterate, neither the composer or show creator used this version.

Jupiter Jazz:

Hi-Tech Jazz:

Also here's a clip of performing Hi-Tech Jazz live. Pretty neat if you ask me.

Hope that clears some confusion for you!

Edited by TheVideoGamer

11 minutes ago, The Vodoú Queen said:

Yeah I get it now.

Feels like a song they'd definitely use in the show, but hey, at least I understood the homage to episodes 12 and 13. XD

Nonetheless, hope I made my remix a little bit interesting with connecting the songs and episodes together. :D

I was definitely under the impression, the way they set up the show, that they would use the song. Hell in Hi-Tech Jazz, (The G2G Song) there is a saxophone solo present throughout! But alas they didn't, which they could have, since it felt like a good opportunity. Oh well.

Looking forward to listening to yours when i vote!

Edited by TheVideoGamer

Oh no, I thought it was due on the 26th. I don't have time. I guess, I'll just do my best, if I can finish it.

I found interest chord and scale on this song

http://nb-96-126-99-33.fremont.nodebalancer.linode.com/theorytab/view/manabu-namiki/battle-garegga---underwater-rampart

Edited by Marcusg

Welcome to the voting stage

The mixing stage is over. This round has songs and 1 bonus mix by TheVideoGamerThe following people compete against each other:

Wassup Thunder

Souperion

TheVodouQueen

Marcusg

To vote, do the following:

Visit http://compo.thasauce.net/rounds/view/PRC428 and listen to all the entries

Scroll to the form at the bottom of the screen or click PM.

Fill in the entries from first to third in the ThaSauce form or fill in your top 3.

State a reasoning for it.

Participants are encouraged to vote and leave feedback. They get a 3 point bonus, but they are not allowed to vote for their own track. They only have to fill in their top 2, leave the third box empty.

Always look in this thread to find out who's the winner of the round after the voting stage instead of only looking at ThaSauce for the results.

You have until Monday June 21st 2021 6:59 AM ThaSauce time (11:00 UTC, 12:00 GMT) to vote.

If you vote by PM make sure that your top 3 is clear. I prefer something like this:

(To)

(Subject)

PRC ### Vote

(Message):

1: (remixer A )

2: (remixer B )

3: (remixer C )

(reasoning)

It's results time.

TheVideoGamer did a bonus mix.

Marcusg got 6 points and the last place wooden spoon.

Souperion and TheVodouQueen tie with 9 points and second place.

And the winner of PRC428 is Wassup Thunder with 11 points.

Wassup Thunder you are the winner. You may pick a source for PRC430. I didn't have time to vote this time and didn't listen to the songs yet, I'll do that later.

Send the source to me (with a MID/MP3 file, otherwise send a second source with a MID file) by PM, other options are PM me @ ThaSauce or by e-mailing to bambombim@gmail.com (I prefer a PM @Ocremix). Send your source as fast as you can, but before next Wednesday (30 June 2021), 11:00 AM ThaSauce time (18:00 UTC, 19:00 GMT).

You may select any source from any game, but not a source with an OverClocked remix or a source which has been used in PRC before. An overview of the past PRC's can be found in the following links (I recently updated this site):

http://sites.google.com/site/bambombim/prc

http://bambombim.googlepages.com/PRCRemixList.doc (also downloadable via the link above).

http://compo.thasauce.net/rounds/view/PRC428 for the votes and comments.

PRC429 already started:

Ok i am very late to the party, like very late. At the time of the final day of voting i was on vacation. So when i got back i kinda forgot about this, but also i was very busy.

Gonna reply here with some thoughts for each one.

Also congrats to Wassup Thunder! Great work to everyone of you!

Here's my thoughts.

Wassup Thunder - Ooh nice work you did with the chord progression man. Works super well! Also dig your signature electronic style, makes a lovely appearance here, fits super well. Really liking how the instruments blend too, it just works perfectly. The only criticism i have, and honestly for me i'd argue it makes a big difference, is the drums are way too quiet. Maybe it's me, but i would definitely feel big drums would work this track. Especially since you are going for thick textured synths. The rest is lovely though, i really dig the occasional acoustic instrument creeping in, brings a kind of earthiness to the track. The arrangement was also very neat, lots of cool ideas, well done!

TheVodouQueen - This one is a full on ride. I love the Cowboy Bebop references, they were awesome lol. Since this source is a full blown homage/remix of a UR track, it kind of makes sense to take elements from the original. The pad sounds are beautiful, very ethereal. I like the slower direction, it really amplifies the atmospheric part of the track, instead of the rave aspect. The vocals kind of remind me of a trailer for a T.V show maybe even anime lol. The light airy feel of this really works well for the source. Also a good idea, to turn the bassline into a Saxophone Melody, that's a cool touch. The only critique i have, and this is based on what i'm listening too, but i feel this has a similar problem to Wassup's track, in that the drums are rather quiet, and need to be brought up. Maybe it's the powerful beats of the original, that's influenced me i don't know, but i kind of feel a hip-hop groove or a big kick could really make this shine. The ambient parts are beautiful though, and definitely a highlight. I do love the chord progression of the original though, so there's that lol. To be honest, the more i listen, the more i see an argument for the soft beats. It feels less obtrusive, and more like a relaxing groove. All in all, lovely work here, as i said, the pad word is amazing. Well done!

Souperion - More beautiful pad goodness. I think the chords of the original source, just really give me Goosebumps. Then again, this source is all sorts of complex goodness. Really like the 3 over 4 piano line, very fitting. The chords are also beautiful too, i love the variety here. I also like the ambient direction, like the last one, it's very relaxing and chilling. Space Ambient is the right choice, since the chords lend itself to very deep complex ambience. I also love how it isn't focused on just the chords. More notes are added to really enhance the chords, it's very well structured and arranged. I honestly kept listening to give honest critique but i can't seem to find any, i think it's just done in a beautiful way. Maybe it's a bit static, no real dynamic changes, but i also feel it doesn't need it, it's too well balanced, and it would ruin the flow. Honestly i think you've really done this source justice. Well done!

Marcusg - Ooh very swing like. I dig the chords used here, like a homage to the original. Sadly i detect timing issues in the chords. I assume it's intentional, and i try to take that to account, but it's also very off-putting. I also like how you made it more simplistic, by focusing on 4 bars. Your stretching a simple idea into something expansive, rather than focus on the whole source it's very cool. Sure it does make it a little on the loopy side, but it's a unique approach nontheless. The arrangement unfortunately needs work, i feel like it's a bit on the simplistic side, and maybe too short for these kinds of developments. I don't want to discourage you though, i have read you are re-learning FL Studio, which isn't an easy task, and i must commend you on the choice to make it more minimalistic, that to me is a nice approach. Also the sound selection was great too, the whole thing has a lot of great moments and the ideas are cool for sure! If anything i feel this sounds like a lovely demo for a remix. Keep at it! Would love to hear a complete version. Well done!

As always congrats to the winner, and congrats to those who participated! Hopefully i will vote more on time in the next round lol.

Edited by TheVideoGamer