"The Last Days of Darkness" Shevannai and Symphobia 3: Lumina

Robert_G

This is the second song I've written with Symphobia 3: Lumina and Shevannai.

This is the second song for an album that I'm slowly working on. I shared the first song "Dreaming the Kingdom" over a year ago.

This also is a completely original composition and I put a lot of thought into it. Same influences as the first song.....by LOTR, Narnia, Harry Potter, and others, but the composition is my own from scratch. The idea was to keep some similarities and familiars but to also be an original track to go along with the first.

I would love to get some feedback.

Thanks for listening.

Extensive use of Symphobia 3: Lumina, and Shevannai.

Other libs:

L&S Chamber Strings
8Dio Silka/Insolidus
Genesis Choir
Rhapsody Orchestral Percussion
VSL Flute
VSL Steinway Concert D-274

The first song that I did over a year ago can be found here:

Edited by Robert_G

• Robert_G changed the title to "The Last Days of Darkness" Shevannai and Symphobia 3: Lumina
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/22/2021 at 10:50 AM, HarlemHeat360 said:

Definitely will give some feedback sooner or later when I have time to listen at my PC.  Especially since I also use Shevannai. 

Edit: I also have Insolidus but I rarely use it these days because I often find it cumbersome to get what I want from it 

Sounds good. It would be interesting to hear what you think of my earlier one compared to the latest one as they are supposed to be 'as one album'. 

Finally got a chance to sit down and listen on my computer.

There is definitely a lot of different influences coming from different places I can see. Not in a bad way though, you make it your own and I never get the feeling that this is derivative. The children's choir you use is extremely pretty and I feel like you did a wonderful job with the balancing here. Never did I feel like any section overwhelmed any other section. I could finally hear Shevannai on my PC and I like how layered in it is. Never sounds like it stands out very much. It's like she was standing with the rest of the choir and she had a solo part! Very realistic sounding in that regard. Man you really have the balance between these instruments down quite well. I personally feel it is a skill that I'm lacking. I have a lot of libraries but finding their balance is a chore haha.

Speaking more musically, I wouldn't personally find this as something I'd just tune in and listen to on the fly but I would really feel the atmosphere if it was in a film or tv series. Definitely would be a song that I could see in a score. I think the only like...critique I would have is that, as someone who enjoys music with strong melodies, I find the song a bit...like a wave? Always pulsing and waxing but never quite going to somewhere specific. Then again, it might kind of be the point. You are sort of wading in this darkness right? So maybe from a composition standpoint this works quite well. From a listening standpoint again, maybe it isn't something I'd go out of my way to put on, but I think it works well in the context of say a score or a scene from some form of media.

Anyway, great stuff and good to see you put so much effort into your music. Once more, wonderful balancing with the choirs and I feel inspired to try and do better in that regard. Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/3/2021 at 1:44 PM, HarlemHeat360 said:

Finally got a chance to sit down and listen on my computer.

There is definitely a lot of different influences coming from different places I can see. Not in a bad way though, you make it your own and I never get the feeling that this is derivative. The children's choir you use is extremely pretty and I feel like you did a wonderful job with the balancing here. Never did I feel like any section overwhelmed any other section. I could finally hear Shevannai on my PC and I like how layered in it is. Never sounds like it stands out very much. It's like she was standing with the rest of the choir and she had a solo part! Very realistic sounding in that regard. Man you really have the balance between these instruments down quite well. I personally feel it is a skill that I'm lacking. I have a lot of libraries but finding their balance is a chore haha.

Speaking more musically, I wouldn't personally find this as something I'd just tune in and listen to on the fly but I would really feel the atmosphere if it was in a film or tv series. Definitely would be a song that I could see in a score. I think the only like...critique I would have is that, as someone who enjoys music with strong melodies, I find the song a bit...like a wave? Always pulsing and waxing but never quite going to somewhere specific. Then again, it might kind of be the point. You are sort of wading in this darkness right? So maybe from a composition standpoint this works quite well. From a listening standpoint again, maybe it isn't something I'd go out of my way to put on, but I think it works well in the context of say a score or a scene from some form of media.

Anyway, great stuff and good to see you put so much effort into your music. Once more, wonderful balancing with the choirs and I feel inspired to try and do better in that regard. Cheers!

Thanks so much for the thought out review. Your comments and critique pretty much nailed where I was going with this.

The direction was always to compose this for a film score. This track (The Last Days of Darkness) was part of the film score, but the first one I wrote (Dreaming the Kingdom) is more of a main theme song for the whole film. In (The Last Days of Darkness), you kind of hear re-orchestrated bits and pieces from (Dreaming the Kingdom), but it does more of it's own thing. There will be more songs coming for this theme (film)

Unfortunately, there really is no film, as I am a 'nobody'....lol. I just pretend that if there was a fantasy epic type film that I was asked to compose for.....this is the type of music I'd make for it. 

Edited by Robert_G