PRC430 - The First Stage (Rush 'n Attack)

Bundeslang

The People's Remix Competition 430
PRCv18-10

Hello everyone and Welcome to the People's Remix Competition!

In PRC428 it was Wassup Thunder who got the win. The source has been selected for PRC430 which already started two days ago, directly after the end of the mixing stage from last round.

On 6/25/2021 at 10:31 PM, Wassup Thunder said:

My source is Rush'n Attack Stage 1 (gotta love NES/Arcade era soundtrack naming conventions!)
I searched among old NES and SNES tunes for the next tune, and came across an old childhood memory: Rush'n Attack, an old konami military-vibe side-scroller arcade of jumping, knifing and shooting bazookas. I found out the game was really well received and acclaimed in its time. Anyhoo, It's first stage theme has some nice melodies, with a kind of militaristic vibe. I really appreciate good old fashion NES era melodies. It's short, but has like 4 small sections that I think will be great to mess around with. Have fun with this one!

rush n' attack Stage 1.mid 17.35 kB · 1 download

Source: Rush 'n Attack (NES) - Stage 1

https://compo.thasauce.net/files/materials/PRC430_rush n' attack Stage 1.mid

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rush'n_Attack

https://compo.thasauce.net/rounds/view/PRC430

The deadline is Wednesday July 28th 2021 at 10:59 am ThaSauce time (18:00 UTC, 19:00 GMT), check the link https://compo.thasauce.net/rounds/view/PRC430 for the exact time left. Make sure that the song is uploaded to ThaSauce or that there’s a download link posted in this thread. 

You may enter as many mixes as you like and work with as many people as you like on each mix. You are free to create a second ThaSauce account for that if you use ThaSauce, it's needed to be able to upload a second remix if you use ThaSauce. Of course you can also upload it somewhere else and put a download link in this thread.

Do not make qualitative comments on an entry until the results of the vote have been posted in this thread.

Mixers cannot vote for themselves but if they vote they receive a free first place vote added onto their score.

The winner of this round may select the source for PRC432.

The winner of PRC428, Wassup Thunder, who picked this source, has a double vote but can only participate by submitting a Bonus Mix 

You can find the full rules list at this page as well.

GOOD LUCK!

PRC Home Page

Have you tried: https://freesound.org/ ?

It's where I get a lot of my SFX now for my songs, (like the phone sounds from the previous round's work.)

Dunno if it'd help. If not, this might do as well: https://www.myinstants.com/index/ca/

If nothing else, maybe find a siren sound on YouTube and convert it to a .mp3

Welcome to the voting stage

The mixing stage is over. This round has songs and 1 bonus mix by Wassup ThunderThe following people compete against each other:

Souperion

TheVideoGamer

TheVodouQueen

To vote, do the following:

Visit https://compo.thasauce.net/rounds/view/PRC430 and listen to all the entries

Scroll to the form at the bottom of the screen or click PM.

Fill in the entries from first to third in the ThaSauce form or fill in your top 3.

State a reasoning for it.

Participants are encouraged to vote and leave feedback. They get a 3 point bonus, but they are not allowed to vote for their own track. They only have to fill in their top 2, leave the third box empty.

Always look in this thread to find out who's the winner of the round after the voting stage instead of only looking at ThaSauce for the results.

You have until Monday August 2nd 2021 6:59 AM ThaSauce time (11:00 UTC, 12:00 GMT) to vote.

If you vote by PM make sure that your top 3 is clear. I prefer something like this:

(To)

(Subject)

PRC ### Vote

(Message):

1: (remixer A )

2: (remixer B )

3: (remixer C )

(reasoning)

@MarcusgI didn't receive the source for PRC431 yet. Can you send it to me?

Edited by Bundeslang

It's results time.

Wassup Thunder did a bonus mix.

TheVideoGamer got 10 points and the last place wooden spoon.

TheVodouQueen received 15 points and second place.

And the winner of PRC430 is Souperion with 17 points.

Souperion you are the winner. You may pick a source for PRC432. Again I didn't have time to vote this time and didn't listen to the songs yet, I'll do that later (also for PRC428 and PRC429).

Send the source to me (with a MID/MP3 file, otherwise send a second source with a MID file) by PM, other options are PM me @ ThaSauce or by e-mailing to bambombim@gmail.com (I prefer a PM @Ocremix). Send your source as fast as you can, but before next Wednesday (11 August 2021), 11:00 AM ThaSauce time (18:00 UTC, 19:00 GMT).

You may select any source from any game, but not a source with an OverClocked remix or a source which has been used in PRC before. An overview of the past PRC's can be found in the following links (I recently updated this site):

http://sites.google.com/site/bambombim/prc

http://bambombim.googlepages.com/PRCRemixList.doc (also downloadable via the link above).

https://compo.thasauce.net/rounds/view/PRC430 for the votes and comments.

PRC431 starts in a couple of minutes (didn't receive a source so I pick one myself).

• 5 weeks later...

Ok guys since i missed it, i've finally sat down and gave some feedback. Let's see how this goes yes?

Souperion - Really nice choir and strings here, really brings out the darkness of the source. Like with a lot of NES tunes, they can be very short, so creativity is needed here, and you did that perfectly. Love the rock vibes, the guitar and drums are really nicely done! Lovely melody additions here, lots of cool ideas not found in the original. The only critique i have, is that at times it can get very busy, so i have nothing to really latch on to. There is a lot of great call and response between the melodies which is awesome, however i do feel like an instrumental part of just guitars can really make things work. Now i say busy, in the sense that it's quite aggressive, however in this case, everything flows nicely, so it's no tiring. No what i think could work, is just guitar and drums in one sections, as a breakdown. Not only does it propel the hype forward, it also makes the melodies more exciting. The orchestral work is super lovely, and very nicely done. I mean the whole track is very groovy. There are moments where the drums seem a bit too forward, however i would say this is a minor issue, maybe even just nit-picking. All in all you've done an amazing remix of the source, well done!

TheVodouQueen - This one is quite the journey. 8 minutes of full dark orchestral ambience. Interesting for you to approach it in this style to be honest, you don't usually go for orchestral music. Still though, the instruments sound quite high quality, so this composition is really going places. It's also lovely that you've taken into account, where each instrument belongs in the orchestra. For me, i have a habit of just adding layers upon layers, without thinking about dynamics. To be fair i rarely if not, never make orchestral music, because i don't have the capacity to handle it. After 5 instances it crashes. The harpsichord kind of makes it folk/baroque inspired i love it. Great processing on each sound too, the reverb is there. The one thing i have to say that sticks out, and i consider this critique, is that it echoes your comments about mine, in that it's too long. I feel this arrangement could work best at around 4-5 minutes. I know you said, you are new to this kind of music, so i assume 8 minutes is you trying as many techniques as possible. Also a minor one, but i feel the sound effects could be better integrated. The sounds kind of sit there in the background, without much in terms of brining life to the party, however though i'm not focusing on that in the piece, and it is only background elements. Last minor critique, is the crash cymbals. They sound very much like dance cymbals (EDM), however i'm not an expert on cymbals, so i can't really comment on that, these are just my own observations. On a good note though, you really created some seriously good orchestrations. For your first major orchestral work, this sounds awesome. I could never do this on my first try. (And no this is not me being "supportive" or "helpful", i literally would not do this on my first try, full honesty). The sound selection is also very much high quality, i must commend you for that. All in all, well done! 

Wassup Thunder - Very military inspired, that's a great way to approach this, especially since this game is military inspired. Really digging the drums, awesome work! Lovely flute melodies, this really makes it seem action movie appropriate. Loving the drive of the drums, it just keeps on powering through. The sound selection is also very quality here, very convincing mock-up for a moving score. If i had to critique it, only 2 really come to mind, which i have to provide, because this could influence and future tracks. First i feel this is very busy, but unlike Souperion's in which the busy nature of the piece actually helps propel the piece, i feel this needs a break. For practically the whole composition, i'm bombarded with drums, strings and brass. I don't feel they could sustain that long, but that might be me. Interesting how i'm the only person who did an electronica remix. The only other flaw left, is that i feel there is a lack of a strong bass presence. I know there's the drums and the brass, but it seems to be missing something like a tuba or a double bass or something, just so it doesn't feel hollow. Obviously it doesn't need to be powerful, just something light to fill the missing gaps. I still love the sounds here though, and that military inspired march approach was a lovely idea, definately makes it feel like it's ready for an action movie. Well done!

Sorry this took so long, i've been away, as well as being so busy!