OCR00607 - Guardian Legend "Rosenthorne"

orkybash

Guardian Legend 'Rosenthorne'

This is a great mix from Wingless. High points are when the drums come in at a little after the 2:00 mark, which was completely unexpected but a nice touch nonetheless, and the well-executed key change. The guitar sample is my only complaint - it could have used more reverb, and it could have been played in such a way that the chords sounded strummed. Other than that, though, I would really recommend this.

"This is a great mix from Wingless."

That should be enough of an endorsement!

Anyway, Wingless again manipulates his instruments into a greater-than-the-sum-of-it's-parts remix. At times thoughtful and serene, at others purposeful and with calculated intent, this song is a great reputation-establisher for Wingless.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Wow! This remix reminds me of when i had this game to the original NES.

Nice solo guitar throu the half remix and then some nice drum path.

This theme was the best song on the game at that time, and this remix is as good as the original.

Like a little boy on a summerday, when the wind blew into my room. Well... it took me like 3 years to complete the games, like a 8year old.

When I downloaded this, I didn't know which great song was remixed. The Wingless did a very nice job on this! Made it very epic sounding! Even though it's too quiet, it's very professionally done! Although my style is Trance or Hardcore, I love this track! Keep it up The Wingless!

It's greatness comes from it's peaceful feel :P.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 11 months later...

Very nice mix, this'd be amazing with a real guitar, but as is, a very strong entry. I am a big fan of the subtleties in the guitar rhythm, and the backing synths. There's a lot of texture hidden under the surface, and after repeated listens, it comes out beautifully.

Minor nitpicking would be the drums could use a little bit more reverb, and overall it's too quiet.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Simply put, this is:

- a crafty/deceptive take on the Forest Area

- a fade-into-thin-air take on the Ending Theme à la pizzicato

- fun to tap/drum my fingers alongside the warm guitar strings, especially the "1-2-3-4, 1234-5" quadruplets (not triplets!)

- the ReMix equivalent of a massage: soft, soothing, and hits just the right spots

- one of my all-time favorite ReMixes

• 6 months later...
- the ReMix equivalent of a massage: soft, soothing, and hits just the right spots

I really like how you described it that way. :-)

I can almost imagine this being played at a Spa or something like that.

This really does have not just a tranquil effect on the mind, but a re-energizing effect too.

It has its own way of saying "Don't worry; all is well. Life hasn't ended yet." It reminds me of sayings like "Hakuna Matata" and "Ob-la-di Ob-la-da" all distilled into a song and really mellowed out.

• 3 years later...

At first I saw that JB's last mix was more than 6 years ago, and I was like D:

then I saw that he moved onto iD Software, and now's at Glu Mobile (Freemium 3D gaming) and I was hey, good for him! :]

but then I still couldn't find any new vgmixes from the man, so I was still like D:

(The mix was so good it prompted me to look that stuff up :P)

His website's really cool btw. http://www.thewingless.com

Edited by WesternZypher

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00607 - Guardian Legend "Rosenthorne"
  • 2 years later...

This is a timeless song for me. I remember hearing it when I was first being introduced to the wonderful world of video game remixes and being quietly awed. Years later, I still feel that splendor when I hear Rosenthorne, whether it be on a rando or on purpose. It's a beautiful and inspiring arrangement of a beloved tune from an archaic game, and a testament to both The Wingless and video game music as an art.