PRC432 - Back to the Rock Ages (Golden Sun The Lost Age)

Bundeslang

The People's Remix Competition 432
PRCv18-12

Hello everyone and Welcome to the People's Remix Competition!

In PRC430 it was Souperion who was the winner. TheVideoGamer and TheVodouQueen also particpated and Wassup Thunder contributed with a bonus song. 

On 8/2/2021 at 11:29 PM, Souperion said:

"Gaia's Rock" From Golden Sun: The Lost Age. Lots can be said for the game's soundtrack, and this is a personal favorite, ripe for some creativity.

Gaia rock_Golden Sun The Lost Age.mid 29.74 kB · 1 download

Source: Golden Sun The Lost Age (GBA) - Gaia's Rock

https://compo.thasauce.net/files/materials/PRC432_Gaia rock_Golden Sun The Lost Age.mid

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Sun:_The_Lost_Age

https://compo.thasauce.net/rounds/view/PRC432

The deadline is Wednesday September 8th 2021 at 10:59 am ThaSauce time (18:00 UTC, 19:00 GMT), check the link https://compo.thasauce.net/rounds/view/PRC432 for the exact time left. Make sure that the song is uploaded to ThaSauce or that there’s a download link posted in this thread. 

You may enter as many mixes as you like and work with as many people as you like on each mix. You are free to create a second ThaSauce account for that if you use ThaSauce, it's needed to be able to upload a second remix if you use ThaSauce. Of course you can also upload it somewhere else and put a download link in this thread.

Do not make qualitative comments on an entry until the results of the vote have been posted in this thread.

Mixers cannot vote for themselves but if they vote they receive a free first place vote added onto their score.

The winner of this round may select the source for PRC434.

Souperion can enter with a bonus song and has a double vote.

You can find the full rules list at this page as well.

GOOD LUCK!

PRC Home Page

• 2 weeks later...
23 hours ago, The Vodoú Queen said:

C minor for Gaia Rock, right?

Sorry it was in case you meant Cut Your Way.

*EDIT: Nvm, I figured it out. XD

Listening to the tune, it sounds like E minor to me. I hear an E Minor and F Major chord progression throughout. The main melody starts with a B as the tonic note, which is the 2nd note in the E minor chord. Just my 2 cents.

Edited by TheVideoGamer

24 minutes ago, The Vodoú Queen said:

BTW,

@Wassup Thunder, you uploaded the wrong song, it seems. Sounds like a remix of Sonic to me. XD More aptly, Flying Battery Zone from S&K.

I know 😂. Souperion pointed it out to me a bit ago and I lost my wits. Somehow I set up the wrong file. But now I got it fixed. Did NOT need you guys to hear my discarded Flying Battery Zone project from like a year ago  😅.

Welcome to the voting stage

The mixing stage is over. This round has 4 songs and 1 bonus mix by SouperionThe following people compete against each other:

TheVideoGamer

APZX

Wassup Thunder

TheVodouQueen

To vote, do the following:

Visit https://compo.thasauce.net/rounds/view/PRC432 and listen to all the entries

Scroll to the form at the bottom of the screen or click PM.

Fill in the entries from first to third in the ThaSauce form or fill in your top 3.

State a reasoning for it.

Participants are encouraged to vote and leave feedback. They get a 3 point bonus, but they are not allowed to vote for their own track. 

Always look in this thread to find out who's the winner of the round after the voting stage instead of only looking at ThaSauce for the results.

You have until Monday September 13th 2021 6:59 AM ThaSauce time (11:00 UTC, 12:00 GMT) to vote.

If you vote by PM make sure that your top 3 is clear. I prefer something like this:

(To)

(Subject)

PRC ### Vote

(Message):

1: (remixer A )

2: (remixer B )

3: (remixer C )

(reasoning)

Right...

I think (sadly) I'm just going to have to be frank and honest with myself and drop out of MnP & PRC for a bit...

I'll continue to check in on occasion and maybe still use the sources to make remixes on the side with, but insofar as putting stuff out into the compos themselves--clearly whatever I am doing isn't cutting it, or cohesive enough to be viable for it.

And FWIW--it's not really the points or the constant losing that bothers me--it's the fact it's the same issues over and over again--no matter how I try to rectify them currently, with each new song I compose, and it doesn't seem to be getting any better... And some of the critique I get I don't understand what is meant by it, musically wise, or I don't hear what's wrong--so it's doing me no good unless I get a breakdown of what exactly is dissonant, how and why, but that's a level of handholding no one would feasibly have time for, nor would I ask it of them. I don't put out material I don't think sounds good or right...but clearly my ears are shot to hell, lol.

Good luck guys. I'll catch ya'll on the flip and either peek in to evaluate on occasion or to listen to the great stuff ya'll generally put out...way more so than my own. o/

**EDIT: (Also, FWIW, I appreciate people like my drumwork and percussion, but sadly most compositions need decent melody and harmony work, and clearly I just need to get better at doing it, and hearing it, period. But I am aware and do appreciate when people say the drums, mixing/mastering or composition framework is strong... I just also know that those alone don't make for a strong song, so I need to go off and work on the other things so it can stop sounding atonal and disproportionate.)

Edited by The Vodoú Queen
Edit

1 hour ago, The Vodoú Queen said:

Right...

I think (sadly) I'm just going to have to be frank and honest with myself and drop out of MnP & PRC for a bit...

I'll continue to check in on occasion and maybe still use the sources to make remixes on the side with, but insofar as putting stuff out into the compos themselves--clearly whatever I am doing isn't cutting it, or cohesive enough to be viable for it.

And FWIW--it's not really the points or the constant losing that bothers me--it's the fact it's the same issues over and over again--no matter how I try to rectify them currently, with each new song I compose, and it doesn't seem to be getting any better... And some of the critique I get I don't understand what is meant by it, musically wise, or I don't hear what's wrong--so it's doing me no good unless I get a breakdown of what exactly is dissonant, how and why, but that's a level of handholding no one would feasibly have time for, nor would I ask it of them. I don't put out material I don't think sounds good or right...but clearly my ears are shot to hell, lol.

Good luck guys. I'll catch ya'll on the flip and either peek in to evaluate on occasion or to listen to the great stuff ya'll generally put out...way more so than my own. o/

**EDIT: (Also, FWIW, I appreciate people like my drumwork and percussion, but sadly most compositions need decent melody and harmony work, and clearly I just need to get better at doing it, and hearing it, period. But I am aware and do appreciate when people say the drums, mixing/mastering or composition framework is strong... I just also know that those alone don't make for a strong song, so I need to go off and work on the other things so it can stop sounding atonal and disproportionate.)

Honestly though, you are far from a bad remixer, you've made some really amazing stuff, so much so, it was enough for you to win the round. And honestly, i don't consider any of your melodies/harmonies to sound bad or poor (I've made compliments to your melodic work, in a lot of other remixes). If anything, i sometimes do things that not many people might be into, but i take everything (Comments wise) with a grain of salt, and everyone should remember/consider that.

None of the critiques people give, is meant to be taken seriously. It's mostly guidelines/guidance to improve, based on our own observations, and i've always done that. I learn a lot, but i also try and balance that out, with what i could try, new ideas, risks, experiments etc. And really that's the foundation of everything. I'm no expert, but i at least try to be honest.

Still though, it's not up to me, it's up to you, and If you feel this is the best option, then i wish you the best of luck, and i welcome your return.

Edited by TheVideoGamer

24 minutes ago, TheVideoGamer said:

Honestly though, you are far from a bad remixer, you've made some really amazing stuff, so much so, it was enough for you to win the round. And honestly, i don't consider any of your melodies/harmonies to sound bad or poor (I've made compliments to your melodic work, in a lot of other remixes). If anything, i sometimes do things that not many people might be into, but i take everything (Comments wise) with a grain of salt, and everyone should remember/consider that.

None of the critiques people give, is meant to be taken seriously. It's mostly guidelines/guidance to improve, based on our own observations, and i've always done that. I learn a lot, but i also try and balance that out, with what i could try, new ideas, risks, experiments etc. And really that's the foundation of everything. I'm no expert, but i at least try to be honest.

Still though, it's not up to me, it's up to you, and If you feel this is the best option, then i wish you the best of luck, and i welcome your return.

Trust me, it's not a forever goodbye, I just feel like I need to strengthen the things that are lacking and are pretty consistently said across the board. Some of the sentiments are critique I've gotten in the NG competitions as well.  Can't BS oneself if there's common problems. ♡ I'm just taking time to dedicate to more learning and skill development, (cause for God's sake do I need to be able to hear tone and key differences better.)

I'll be back. :) Matter of fact, I'm still doing Granstream and got something for Tactics Advance in my head. I just know if I'm doing all this musical self e-learning (and learning Reaper,) I won't be able to make the deadlines for the compos. Plus, I want to come at these things with a stronger game, so people can enjoy them even more. ^_^

That's all I want, is for whatever I put out there to be super enjoyable and not a mess-fest to the ears. XD Doesn't matter win or lose, I just want to get better.