Final Fantasy VIII: SeeDs of Pandora - History

Darkflamewolf

Final Fantasy VIII: SeeDs of Pandora - A Final Fantasy Album

Project Director: @Darkflamewolf (Director of Arcadia Legends and Mizar Attacks!)

Co-Director: @Jorito (Director of Resonance of the Pure Lands, Paths Less Traveled and Sonic 25th anniversary: Speeding towards Adventures)

Art Director: R. Hoffmann

Sound Designer/Masterer:

Performers available:

- John Stacy: French horn, trumpet, flugelhorn, trombone (3 varieties), bass trombone, euphonium, tuba
- GameroftheWinds: alto flute, flute, piccolo, clarinet, bass clarinet, recorder (soprano, alto, tenor), tin whistle, soprano sax, oboe (if simple parts), shakuhachi (and maybe some more woodwinds), garklein
- Earth Kid: vocals, harp, piano, recorders (all except bass), accordion, Irish bouzouki, hammered dulcimer, mandolin, ocarina, kalimba, percussion such as djembe, tambourine, shakers, otamatone
- Siolfor the Jackal: chunky bass and guitars
- Jorito: synths, e-piano, organ, bass, guitar and a mish mash of other instruments
- Tsori: Trumpet and Flugelhorn
- Audio Mocha: Electric guitar, rock n roll, slide guitar and chonk
- Manji: Heavy metal guitar and bass guitar
- SableProvidence: dizi, xiao, piccolo, flute, bass flute + possibly access to other chinese instruments
- Donut: clarinet, flute, bass clarinet, recorders (Sopranino -> Bass)
- Cecil: erhu, guzheng
- MooglePower: Irish bouzouki, Irish tenor banjo, Irish whistle (and low whistle), mandolin, seljefløyte, anglo concertina, bodhrán, kantele, ukulele, Scottish smallpipes, synth, guitar (DADGAD and standard tuning), and bass

PROJECT HISTORY:
Hello, everyone! This is Darkflamewolf - Director of albums: Arcadia Legends and Mizar Attacks! for the games: Skies of Arcadia and Jet Force Gemini respectively. There was once a Final Fantasy VIII album launched and attempted back in 2016 that has since fallen off the map and never touched again. I was recently approached by @djpretzeland @Liontamer to head up and direct this album and hopefully get it completed at long last. After much research, delving into past threads and posts, I figured the best way to do this is to relaunch it anew under a new brand and theming. Trying to build something from the ashes of a previous attempt would be a struggle and I feel providing something new and fresh for remixers to sink their teeth into would be best. Final Fantasy VIII was always the dark horse of the PS era of Final Fantasy games - it being the last of the bunch to get a proper remake for current consoles. Also makes sense that it also be the last to get a proper OCRemix treatment! So let's make it happen and bring something fresh and original to the table. Which leads us into...

PROJECT CONCEPT :

Part of my research led me to Pixel Mixer's full album take on the soundtrack as well as the Materia Collective and their album release around the time the OCRemix album was trying to take off. Listening to all their interpretations of the source material, I knew that for this album to sit apart from previous releases of the soundtrack, we needed to bring something new to the table. Something fresh and exciting - and that's where this concept comes into play. I am splitting up the soundtrack into 3 different genre styles: CALM - CRAZY - OFFBEAT/GOOFY. Let me explain each one:
CALM - These are what you'd expect. This CD concept will have tracks that can typically be expected to be more soothing and calming. However, I wanted to add a neat addition to the theme: Since the entire game revolves around exploring the world and exploring different cultures (and there are a fair bit in Final Fantasy VIII), I wanted each song on this CD to have a cultural flair added to it. It can be either an instrument or two from a culture or just the way the song is structured. I don't care if it is Japanese, African, Norwegian, Russian, Indian, Arabic, Turkish, Korean, Australian - it just needs to be audibly recognizable as having that cultural vibe throughout the song. How you do that is up to you. Complete freedom beyond this theming.

CRAZY - These are what you'd expect. This CD concept will have tracks that can typically be expected to be more upbeat, pulse-pounding, high octane affairs. It can be metal, rock, shred, EDM, you name it. I don't care which of these toe-tapping genres you put it in, I just want to feel it. Make it hard, fast, loud, crazy - go wild. These are the tracks I want to really turn up my speakers and just rage out to. Let the walls pound with the beat! Complete freedom beyond this theming.

OFFBEAT/GOOFY - This is where things get interesting. Complete freedom of genre and style. The weirder and more off-the-wall interpretations you have of these tracks, the better. I want to be surprised and expectations of what the song could be blown away. I want to hear something nobody would expect going into a remix of these songs. Go wild, have fun, sky's the limit. Complete freedom in every sense of the word. Don't repeat what has been done before - do something fresh and new with these tracks!

ALBUM UPDATE!!!!!!:
So, Jorito and I do feel a bit bad about numerous folks being super excited, eager and motivated to claim multiple tracks - however, previous claimants from the first time this album was launched do have priority over those tracks up until Sept 12, 2021 since they claimed it first. It's the right thing to do to reach out to these remixers and see if they wish to still participate in something they were so passionate about joining back in 2016.

When discussing the theming of the album and how the three main CDs were to reflect the nature of each of the Gardens: Balamb = CALM, Galbadia = CRAZY and Trabia = GOOFY/OFFBEAT (because Selphie!) - we came up with a question: What will happen to the Lunatic Pandora disc? Because Jorito and a few others liked that idea and theming as well.

So an idea struck me: WHY NOT BOTH?!

Why not have 3 primary GARDEN discs and then a fourth LUNATIC PANDORA disc where any genre from the first three discs can go (so no limits to interpretation there!) AND the 4th disc can be where any duplicate tracks can go!

Now, for those who still are hyped to remix a track that a former claimant has reclaimed but instead have it be on the PANDORA disc, the three GARDEN discs take priority. I really want each remixer to pick songs not claimed to fill out the first three GARDEN discs. That's priority. Once that is finished, you can then go back and remix the track you also wanted to do that'd be a duplicate. Make sense?

TRACK LIST

As of 9/21/2022, we are finished with taking remixers and applications to claim tracks.
Listed before is the current track line-up of completed tracks.

TRACK STATUS
Finished Unmastered Arrangement submitted - 69
Finished and Mastered Track - 0

BALAMB GARDEN DISC
1 - The Jellyfish (Fisherman's Horizon) - DJPretzel
2 - Aroma of Sugary Warmth (Balamb Garden) - Clement Panchout feat. Facemeltingsolo, GameroftheWinds & SableProvidence
3 - Moonlit Night on a Calm Lake (Waltz for the Moon) - ChriskAudio
4 - Where is My Fault (Tell Me) - BlueLighter feat. Anna Hanabi, SableProvidence, Khoo Sze Ning, Guitarsvd, Ian Martyn, & dpMusician
5 - Garden's Destiny (The Oath) - Deedubs
6 - I Belong (Where I Belong) - Cyril the Wolf feat. Jordi
7 - Roses, Wine and Gentle Smiles (Roses and Wine) - CarlosEdge
8 - Gaofar (Breezy) - Ian Martyn
9 - The Annals of Truth (Junction) - RebeccaETripp feat. GameroftheWinds & Ian Martyn
10 - Find Your Way to the East (Find Your Way) - Sorven
11 - Take My Squall Away (Love Grows) - Hemophiliac
12 - Tears in Rain (Silence and Motion) - Zack Parrish
13 - The Infested Arena (Fear) - BlueLighter
14 - Long for the Horizon (Blue Fields) - Zack Parrish feat. Ian Martyn, Kestrel Girl & Jesus Chic Acevedo
15 - Moments (Fragments of Memories) - Jorito feat. JoyDreamer & Christ~Amaterasu
16 - Your Smile (Julia) - FeralDreams feat. Juan Medrano
17 - Friends Under Different Stars (Ami) - Cecil feat. James Perretta
18 - Lost in Time (The Successor) - Meldecision feat. Metamoogle & Cyril the Wolf

GALBADIA GARDEN DISC
1 - The Galbadian National Anthem (Cactus Jack) - Blake Inc. feat. Cyril the Wolf
2 - Two Scars Matching (Don't Be Afraid) - Tuberz McGee
3 - Dancefloorphans (Truth) - Pixel Pirates
4 - Skadooshin' (Movin') - jdamashii!!
5 - Filthy Lies, Wasted Virtue (Fithos Lusec Wecos Vinosec) - Vodou Queen feat. Rockos
6 - Queen of Cards (Shuffle and Boogie) - GlacialSpoon
7 - Dead End Blitz (Dead End) - bLiNd
8 - Turn Those UP (Starting Up) - Rockos feat. Siolfor the Jackal
9 - Downtown Run (Never Look Back) - Drakeld
10 - Stuck in My Mind (My Mind) - Jorito feat. Sirenstar
11 - Theme of the White Hole Prevention Agency (Ride On) - APZX feat. Jabo & Tsori
12 - The Marshall (Martial Law) - Rockos feat. Zack Parrish & Tsori
13 - Final Force (Force Your Way) - Ivan Hakštok
14 - Witch Hunter (The Man With the Machine Gun) - Gario
15 - Warheads (Retaliation) - Drakeld
16 - Only A Hot Dog Between One and the Sickness (Only a Plank Between One and Perdition) - Siolfor the Jackal feat. Jabo & Serrin's Toes
17 - You Got Me Dancing (Dance With the Balamb Fish) - Treyt

TRABIA GARDEN DISC
1 - Even Ill-Omens Need a Break (Premonition) - Vodou Queen feat. dpMusician, SirCorn, Shea's Violin, GameroftheWinds & Tsori
2 - Swagger de Chocobo (Mods de Chocobo) - GlacialSpoon
3 - La Victoria de los Bùhos (Timber Owls) - Deedubs feat. Sean Hardin, Wurtzel, Tsori, CNDRSamus & Travis Kindred
4 - Proposition and Clamor (Overture) - APZX
5 - Willingly Sacrificed (A Sacrifice) - MkVaff
6 - El Gran Salar (The Salt Flats) - CNDRSamus feat. GameroftheWinds
7 - A Scar to Match (Rivals) - colorado weeks feat. Chromatic Apparatus, Flake & Shea's Violin
8 - The Oscar Goes to Laguna Loire (Slideshow Parts 1 & 2) - BlueLighter
9 - Night Shift (Jailed) - DJ Orange
10 - OH!! DEKA-DE-JAZZ-DE-CHOCOBO ~ Dirty Contacts Mix (Odeka de Chocobo) - HeavyViper
11 - For a Few Draws More (The Mission) - Flake feat. Sorven, Audio Mocha, Cyril the Wolf, dpMusician, Zack Parrish, Ian Martyn & Calem Destiny
12 - Still Under Her Control, But With New Management (Under Her Control) - Jean Of mArc
13 - Impressions From Unrest (Unrest) - SirCorn
14 - Into the Singularity (Compression of Time) - Sirenstar feat. Jorito
15 - Concédeme Un Momento (Eyes on Me) - CNDRSamus feat. Earth Kid & Chris Kohler
16 - Deling City Nights (Galbadia Garden) - Lucas Guimaraes feat. Dionte George, dpMusician, theBitterRoost & MegadudeXD
17 - A Wounded Spy (The Spy) - Vylent
18 - Succession of Magical Girls (Succession of Witches) - donut feat. John Bishop
19 - Smooth Heretic (Heresy) - KalS
20 - We Are the Winners (The Winner) - Jorito feat. Numoon, Sirenstar, Cyril the Wolf, Tsori & Dewey Newt

LUNATIC PANDORA DISC
1 - Voces Maledictionis et Spei: Children Fated to Lead (Liberi Fatali) - Heavenwraith feat. JoyDreamer, Bonnie Bogovich, Vodou Queen, Ian Martyn & colorado weeks
2 - If Time Stood Still (Eyes on Me) - Earth Kid feat. Erika Richards
3 - Set the Stage on Fire (The Stage is Set) - Zack Parrish
4 - The Sorceress' Knight (Force Your Way) - Deedubs
5 - Heavy Residents (Residents) - Rockos feat. Zack Parrish & Cyril the Wolf
6 - The Tolls of Stringent Obligation (The Landing) - Zack Parrish feat. Chromatic Apparatus, Alex Parrish, Cyril the Wolf & Angel Hernandez
7 - High Tides and Lunar Cries (Lunatic Pandora) - Audio Mocha
8 - In Horto Dormit Nuntius (The Castle) - Fishy
9 - SeeDs of Pandora (SeeD) - Jorito feat. Sirenstar, Chromatic Apparatus & Juan Medrano
10 - Make Them Bleed (The Legendary Beast) - Zack Parrish feat. Earth Kid & Viking Guitar
11 - Maybe I'm a Lion or Maybe I'm Not (Maybe I'm a Lion) - Ian Martyn feat. Darby Cupit, Ian Cowell, Leo Martyn, Carrie Wood & MegadudeXD
12 - All Existence Denied (The Extreme) - Vodou Queen feat. Cap'n Shred
13 - Succession of Power (The Successor) - ChriskAudio feat. GameroftheWinds
14 - And That's the End (Ending Theme) - Rockos feat. ChriskAudio

QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS:

QUESTION: There are 74 tracks - are all going to be needing to remixed?
ANSWER: No. I do not expect to have a full complement of 74 tracks that comprise the entire soundtrack to Final Fantasy VIII - however, I would like a minimum of 12 tracks for each CD theme - making a total of 36 tracks. I know it isn't a high bar to strive for, but trying to start up an album that has been languishing for years is a tall order, so I'm setting my sights on a more attainable goal. It would be nice to get them all, but I'm only asking for 12 per disc theme.

QUESTION: I would like to remix a track, but not sure if I can meet the theme of the disc on my own. Can I collab with another remixer?
ANSWER: Of course! In fact, I encourage many collaborations with this album! If you're awesome at piano, but need someone to give your track that cultural flair that I am hoping for in the CALM disc, then seek out someone willing to provide that for you! I'm excited to hear many collabs on this album. Likewise for the other two discs, if you feel you need to seek out other musicians for their talents to complete it, by all means, go collaborate!

QUESTION: Some of the tracks don't seem to be in the right genre - like Eyes on Me is in the CRAZY theme?
ANSWER: You're right! I deliberately put some tracks where they were for a reason. For example, I feel Eyes on Me has seen so many slow or smooth remixes and for once, I'd like to see us bring something new to the table with this OCRemix album by spicing it up in a way people didn't expect!

QUESTION: What if I have a great idea for a GOOFY/OFFBEAT style, but the track is in the CALM theming. What do I do?
ANSWER: Pitch the idea and more than likely, we can swap that track over to the disc of your choice and theming! Just because the tracks are in that theming doesn't mean they have to stay there! My only requirement was AT LEAST 12 tracks per theme. As long as I meet that bare minimum to make a full disc for each theme, I don't really care what tracks comprise what theme. So we can mix and match and this track line-up doesn't need to stay static! You wanna do Silence and Motion as a CALM waltz with sitar? Go for it! All I'm really asking for is to keep the themes so we, as a collective group for OCRemix, can bring something new to the Final Fantasy VIII remixing spectrum.

QUESTION: What if I was a part of the previous attempt at this album? Does my claim and/or my track count?
ANSWER: It sure can! Get with me ASAP and let's figure out together where we can fit in your track and if it is possible to update it to match the themes proposed above. You are more than welcome to submit the track to see if it fits in. Who knows? It might fit already in the three existing themes without much editing needed! But unless you tell me you want your old track claim back, I won't know if you're still on board. So let me know ASAP if you still want to do it and if you still like the theming your track is under or if you wish to change it to one of the other two. I'm willing to work with you!
NOTE: I will be referencing the old forum post about who claimed what and will be giving those remixers priority over the next 3-4 weeks. After that time has past, I'll just assume you do not wish to participate anymore and will give the tracks to interested parties to remix. But I'd love if those who claimed before would want to come back to finish.

QUESTION: Is there going to be a place to collaborate all the details of the project while in production?
ANSWER: Yes! There is a discord server specifically set up for this album! So expect to get an invite when you join to come to the server on Discord!

QUESTION: With the addition of this new, fourth disc - if a former claimant comes back to reclaim their track, can I still remix their track too?
ANSWER: Of course! But your track won't be on the primary 3 GARDEN discs, instead, it'll be on the fourth 'bonus' disc, if you will, LUNATIC PANDORA. That and the priority requirement is to remix tracks that aren't going to have duplicates first for the 3 GARDEN discs. We need those filled up first before we start discussing claiming additional tracks that'll ultimately be duplicate remixed tracks for the PANDORA disc. Make sense?

----

Last note: I know this is such a huge shake up and everything regarding this album and I know some people won't be happy. I get that. However, I was personally asked to resurrect this project and this was the best way I've decided to breathe new life into this album. I hope you'll agree and be excited to bring something new, fresh and unheard of for Final Fantasy VIII! Let's be the darkhorse album this game deserves!
Edited by Darkflamewolf

• Liontamer changed the title to Final Fantasy VIII - SeeDs of Pandora - OC ReMix Album Thread (take two)

Need more trumpeters? lol.  Like John Stacy and TSori, I also play trumpet and flugelhorn.  I also play piccolo trumpet if you want a trumpet that sounds more like a toy.  Could be useful for some goofy tracks!

Also, I've sent a message to audio fidelity regarding his claim for "The Oath".  I'm hoping to claim that one if he doesn't want it.

9 hours ago, Manji said:

Definitely happy to be involved in this new iteration of the album - have messaged about the track I previously had claimed, and I'll happily tackle another one if there are tracks available :)

Please recap what you claimed please. And would love to see what more you’ll bring to the table!!  💕

EDIT: disregard. I see your private message! You claim SeeD. That’s fine. I listened to it and it sounds good. Unsure which disc it’ll go on right now, but we can accept it! Please send an unmastered wav file over and we can evaluate - well, Jorito will carry the bulk of that and we’ll get back to you! ❤️

Edited by Darkflamewolf

You got it! The Castle it is! Welcome aboard. If you got Discord, get in touch with Jorito and he'll link you into the Discord server we got specifically for this album!

Reach out to @Fishy to see if he still wants The Castle or he'd like to collab or whatever you two decide together! ❤️

Edited by Darkflamewolf

Hi, uhm...since I see it's not taken as of yet, I'd like to try my hand with The Extreme, in the CRAZY category, but unsure how viable it is for me to stake the claim.

I saw on the original posting that these OCR albums required someone who's already been published on here, and IDK how much considerable skill you're looking for. But I'd love to get my hands on a MIDI of the song and go ham on it, as it's my favourite of the series--but again--what's the skill ceiling or the need to know? Is knowing an instrument to actually be played required or can it all be electronic?

Please let me know. I'd love to give it a try... ^_^;

For those interested in the album and want to contribute - here is the Discord server. Please only join if you are interested in participating~
https://discord.gg/CtJ2a8kjRy

Also, All former claims to the tracks have been released as of Sept 12, 2021 - All unclaimed tracks are now free to claim!

As for Vodou Queen's question - if you have not made anything published to OCR - we may need to evaluate your arranging chops and if necessary, pair you up with another (or others) as a collab depending. Sort of like how 'Remixing with the Stars' compo went.

• 2 weeks later...

Is there a way to get myself added to the available performers list?  I play: Irish bouzouki, Irish tenor banjo, Irish whistle (and low whistle), mandolin, seljefløyte, anglo concertina, bodhrán, kantele, ukulele, Scottish smallpipes, synth, guitar (DADGAD and standard tuning), and bass.  I also sing.

Edited by MooglePower

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Despite this forum topic not being very busy (since 99% of the activity is happening on the album Discord), rest assured we’re making good progress on the album and just had our first WIP check-ins. There’s also still a bunch of cool unclaimed tracks, so if you feel you could do something interesting with them and fit the album disc theme, feel free to join the Discord and hit us up!

• Liontamer changed the title to Final Fantasy VIII: SeeDs of Pandora - History
  • Liontamer locked this topic