Can I transfer VST's to a USB? Or do I need an external hardrive specfically?

Are you running Windows?

When you installed some of your VST's, they wrote to the Windows registry. Moving them now may corrupt those installations and you will likely find your self without those VST's unless you re-install.
It will be best that you uninstall, re-install, for best results. However, you're not going to save much space except for any that included sound libraries that can be installed to the external disk. .dll's and .fxb's, etc take up little room, so you will do a lot of work for basically no gain.

Yeah, the VSTs themselves aren't all that big, but any sample libraries they use often are. These you might want to have on a separate drive, be this internal or external, USB or something else. Depending on their size and number, you might not need to, especially if you're just starting out. The kind of drive and connector doesn't really matter, so long as it's fast enough, and USB drives are more than enough for most cases.

Reinstalling is the safer option compared to just copying things, though I haven't had much trouble (on mac) copying libraries and setting a new library directory. The few VSTs (well, AUs in my case, because mac) that wouldn't let me do that I could just trick with symlinks. Symlinks, or symbolic links, are a special kind of alias on unix systems like mac, not sure if there's an equivalent option on windows. Moving the actual AU components (the VSTs, basically) would probably also work using symlinks, but I don't think it's worth the trouble.