Afro Samurai Coming On Spiketv @ 11pm Eastern Time

Coldnova

I saw the trailer for this a while ago

It looked promising but the last 7 seconds ruined it with some guy spouting nonsensical ebonics. And you know, I HATE that stuff. Because I am RACIST!!!!

Seriously though, the animation is sharp, the action looks cool, and they somehow got Samuel L Jackson and Ron Perlman. But for all the fuss over the RZA doing the music, the trailer music seemed mediocre at best.

The review has the link to the first episode...

First episode is pretty good. I like it. It isn't bad and the trailer led me to believe that Afro was going to spew nothing but ebonics, but it was nothing like that, cept for maybe his follower.

The gore factor was too high to be enjoyable IMO, and the dialog got lame in some parts.

On a side note, it doesn't help with the fact that I think most of Spike TV rivals on retardation. "Hey, let's advertise our new show once every five minutes!" Not to mention all their past animated shows bombed. New Ren and Stimpy, anyone? "Hey, let's make them FLAMING HOMOSEXUALS! That's funny, right???"

To be fair for the afro, I loved the concept and the art was pretty cool, though. Meh, hopefully it'll get better.

An' I be down wit dat Ebonics. :)

1. Samuel L. Jackson is not Afro Samurai. Samuel L. Jackson does he voice for another character completely. Download the show, and then go to ten minutes in. That annoying guy that shows up? That's Jackson. The main selling point for this show is misleading. Intsa-Fail for that right there. (And yes, I know the IMDB page lists him as the title character, but we all know that no user-generated content can ever be wrong:rolleyes: )

If Jackson does do the voice for Afro, then he's not doing much for it. I think he grunted a few times, and that was it. I had to turn the volume up just to make out most of what he was saying.

2. There's "all flash and no substance", and then there's this. It's over-flashed, stylized to the point where it's actually sort of ugly. For a show that wants so desperately wants to be anime, it sure fucked it up. They even threw in random Japanese in the bar scene for no reason. It's there, you just have to turn the volume up to hear him mumble it.

3. The violence was terrible. Nothing warranted it. I think fans of Ninja Scroll got together and wrote this. In fact, that fight with the group of guys looks sort of familiar. I'm not about to go rent Ninja Scroll and skip through it to find the exact scene, but I'd bet it's in there. And don't say it's an homage. That's bullshit.

4. Technology is more random than the action. One guy has an old 15th century style rifle, while another has revolvers, while another has a cell phone and high-tech binoculars. And there are androids or cyborgs or something at one point.

I guess I can't really expect much from Spike and the people they're aiming for, but come on...

I really don't know what my thoughts on it were. I swear, the technology was really random. Cell phones, RPGs, and samurai swords. It didn't make any sense. The violence was way over the top. It just screams "look at me! look at me!" I'd say the action was pretty good though. Lots of focus on finishing off the enemies, seeing them get split in half with blood going everywhere. Kinda cool, but not for everyone. The weak part of the action is that it didn't build any tension. It was flashy as hell, but didn't invoke any emotion.

The story however, was pretty lame. "Number one and number two" and the whole revenge story. That crap made me laugh. If all he's gonna do is make his way to "number one" while killing everyone that wants to be number two, the show will definitely not be worth watching; and I don't see where they can go with the plot to make it any more interesting. Also, even though they got osme big names on the voicing cast, a lot of the lines were delivered poorly.

The first episode was an interesting watch. The animation was gorgeous, the art style is interesting, but overall I felt that it was a crappy anime with a fine gloss coating. Hopefully the next few episodes will prove me wrong, but I don't think this will turn out to be anything worthwhile.

1. Samuel L. Jackson is not Afro Samurai. Samuel L. Jackson does he voice for another character completely. Download the show, and then go to ten minutes in. That annoying guy that shows up? That's Jackson. The main selling point for this show is misleading. Intsa-Fail for that right there. (And yes, I know the IMDB page lists him as the title character, but we all know that no user-generated content can ever be wrong:rolleyes: )

If Jackson does do the voice for Afro, then he's not doing much for it. I think he grunted a few times, and that was it. I had to turn the volume up just to make out most of what he was saying.

2. There's "all flash and no substance", and then there's this. It's over-flashed, stylized to the point where it's actually sort of ugly. For a show that wants so desperately wants to be anime, it sure fucked it up. They even threw in random Japanese in the bar scene for no reason. It's there, you just have to turn the volume up to hear him mumble it.

3. The violence was terrible. Nothing warranted it. I think fans of Ninja Scroll got together and wrote this. In fact, that fight with the group of guys looks sort of familiar. I'm not about to go rent Ninja Scroll and skip through it to find the exact scene, but I'd bet it's in there. And don't say it's an homage. That's bullshit.

4. Technology is more random than the action. One guy has an old 15th century style rifle, while another has revolvers, while another has a cell phone and high-tech binoculars. And there are androids or cyborgs or something at one point.

I guess I can't really expect much from Spike and the people they're aiming for, but come on...

My thoughts exactly. My gf and I started laughing at some of the dialog while it was going on. And it wasn't the Ebonics talk. It was the OTHER scenes.

Stop talking about this show seriously. I mean really. Samuel L Jackson is all blaxploitation and that's all he does. This is basically a combination of that and Samurai Jack. I'm pretty sure they intentionally made just about everything laughably over the top.

BTW, the animation was just incredible. And considering there's only about five episodes of the whole thing, it's basically an OVA. Meaning the story won't be the biggest draw. It reminds me of that new Hellsing Ultimate OVA. Except that one had cooler aesthetic with the vampires instead of the weird wiry, black characters.

Looks like it could be fun. I like some of the character design and camera angles. I'm into that Peter Chung / Takeshi Koike type stuff. And only 5 eps? Great, that means I can actually afford to pick it up on DVD (no Spike here).