MnP Round 128 - Spooktober Special!

TheVideoGamer

It's October time, and for most peeps, it's HALOWEEEN OOOOOOOOOOO. Yeah i can't do a good ghost impression on a generic font, lol.

As a result i decided to plan something special, and for those who were with me, got the chance to really go all out into a world of spooky sources.

Participants active from the last 5 rounds, got a chance to pick a word usually associated with Halloween, and then a VGM source that closely matches that word (Which is both a load of fun, but also a bit of a interesting challenge). As a result we ended up with 10 VGM sources!

Now that they've all been picked, they are all on display right here, for you to pick and choose. No source is off limits, go for the one that inspires you the most. To those who selected the sources, and to those who have just arrived, i want you to pick any of the 10 sources, whip up your DAW, and produce me a Spooktacular remix! You are not required to follow any set source. You can go for ones you like the sound of the most. I mean 10 sources is a huge selection.

All the standard MnP rules in regards to submission and remixing applies. For this round 2 of the rules have been relaxed, but only for this round, and it only applied to those who were selecting the sources. This being the 6th gen and earlier rule, and the big name franchise rule. THIS ROUND ONLY THOUGH, NEXT WEEK WILL BE REINFORCED AGAIN.

I would encourage you to submit for the 31st of October to co-inside with Halloween, however i don't know if this will be physically possible for some, since it's not so far away, so the 7th of November will be the real deadline. 

For this round you can remix more than one source from the list, and to the source selectors, you can remix your own pick. DO LET US KNOW WHAT SOURCE(S) YOU'VE PICKED IN THE SUBMISSION NOTES OF THASAUCE, IT HELPS A LOT, THANKS.

Anyways i've rambled on, let's present the sources! 

NOTE: All MIDI SOURCES WILL BE PRESENTED HERE, FOR EASE OF USE.

Option 1:

Word: Ghost

Game: Ghosts 'n Goblins

Source - Stage 1

Option 2:

Word: Vampire

Game: Suikoden 2

Source - Gothic Neclord

Option 3:

Word: Supernatural

Game: Secret of Mana

Source - Ceremony

Option 4:

Word: Phantom

Game: Vagrant Story

Source - Undercity

Option 5:

Word: Zombie

Game: Call of Duty Black Ops

Source - Dammed

Option 6:

Word: Skull

Game: Killer Instinct Gold

Source - Spinal's Theme

Option 7:

Word: Grimoire

Game: Super Mario 64

Source - Haunted House

Option 8:

Word: Forest

Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse

Source - Mad Forest

Option 9:

Word: Macabre

Game: Chrono Chross

Source - Dead Sea/Tower of Destruction

Option 10:

Word: Werewolf

Game: Darkstalkers 3

Source - Concrete Cave (Jon Tailban's Theme)

Deadline: 7th November @ 1PM

Closing Date: 9th November @ 1PM

Vote Ends: 16th November @ 1PM

MnP ARCHIVE  made by Trism ;)

submit: http://compo.thasauce.net/rounds/view/MnP128

MISSION STATEMENT
The goal of Compo:MnP is to promote that "meat and potatoes" conservative approach to remixing: this includes the mood and composition of source tunes. It is up to the remixer to create their own personalization, or to simply give it a sound upgrade. Moreover, the compo is a great opportunity to hone your remixing skills and give video game music the respect that is due. SOME reinterpretation is recommended, but not required.

MnP Instructions/Guidelines

Guidelines:

1. Modifying the Source is fine, so long as it doesn't sound completely separate from its original intent. 
  2. If you're gonna do a genre change, at least make sure the original aspect of the source is not lost.
  3. Tempo changes are fine, as long as it's not a big change. I'm talking like, going from 80bpm to 140bpm. 
  4. Submissions must be at a maximum of 20mb (keeping in step with ThaSauce's file size max), and submitted as a MP3 file.
  5. Only 1 entry per participant. Previous winner cannot participate but can submit a BONUS entry. 
  6. Try to avoid making quality-based comments on submissions until after the Round is concluded.  It is to avoid a Bias in Votes.
  7. For this round you can remix more than one source. Do make sure you let me know which source(s) you've picked in the submission notes.

MISC/TIPS
- When picking a source tune, make sure it has a MIDI to make people's lives easier.
- In-game sound FX are permitted, so long as they don't comprise the whole track (i.e. replacing entire MIDI tracks with just sfx)

CODBO - Damned.mid Darkstalkers 3 -Subway.mid Ghost n Goblins - Stage 1.mid Killer Instinct Gold - Spinal's Theme.mid Secret of Mana - Ceremony.mid Suikoden 2 - Gothic Neclord.mid Super Mario 64 - Big Boo's Haunt.mid Vagrant Story - Undercity.mid Castlevania 3 - Mad Forest.mid Chrono Cross - Dead Sea.mid

Edited by TheVideoGamer

Woah, kudos to you @Katfor picking a Vagrant Story theme.  That game is very under-appreciated.  (edit) FF12 (ok, so that is a stretch...), Parasite Eve and Koudelka have similar playstyles and it is incredibly rare to find real-time tactical RGPs. Incidentally, it also has some of the best music on the PS1 ever.  I've only remixed 'Reminiscence' so far and I was blown away by how complex it was.  Looking forward to that Undercity remix ;) 

Edit 2

I wonder what other games are similar to Vagrant Story, Koudelka and Parasite Eve...Anyone know? 

Edited by HoboKa
adhd

9 hours ago, Wassup Thunder said:

That is how masterpieces are made!

If I'm being honest I'm already hating myself for trying it, but I will admit that I'm actually having a lot of fun with it lol

Edit - This will simultaneously be one of the most MnP things I have ever done, but at the same time not.

Edited by APZX
Clarification

18 hours ago, HoboKa said:

Woah, kudos to you @Katfor picking a Vagrant Story theme.  That game is very under-appreciated.  (edit) FF12 (ok, so that is a stretch...), Parasite Eve and Koudelka have similar playstyles and it is incredibly rare to find real-time tactical RGPs. Incidentally, it also has some of the best music on the PS1 ever.  I've only remixed 'Reminiscence' so far and I was blown away by how complex it was.  Looking forward to that Undercity remix ;) 

Edit 2

I wonder what other games are similar to Vagrant Story, Koudelka and Parasite Eve...Anyone know? 

Front Mission is a rare choice. Threads of Fate / Dewprism and Sword / Legend of Mana are quite rare as well.

So is Illusion of Gaia, the red-headed true sequel step-child to SoulBlazer no one seems to talk about... :(

Edited by The Vodoú Queen
Phone going mad shit crazy...

I look forward to the spooky song goodness too. I better make this one count too, cause it's probably going to be my turn-in for NGs Spooktober Competition if they accept game remixes...

Going to be real hard tho; I barely fiddled with Reaper since downloading it...

6 hours ago, The Vodoú Queen said:

Front Mission is a rare choice. Threads of Fate / Dewprism and Sword / Legend of Mana are quite rare as well.

So is Illusion of Gaia, the red-headed true sequel step-child to SoulBlazer no one seems to talk about... :(

Woah, those are obscure games.  I only recognize Legend of Mana and IoG...I used to rent the latter quite often, never beat it as a kid though.  Good ole savestates saved my ass later on.  And online guides.  Soulblazer is an amazing game!

Threads of Fate is related to Dewprism eh?  I might check em out.  Not familiar with either but the cover-image rings some distant bells in my head.

2 hours ago, HoboKa said:

Woah, those are obscure games.  I only recognize Legend of Mana and IoG...I used to rent the latter quite often, never beat it as a kid though.  Good ole savestates saved my ass later on.  And online guides.  Soulblazer is an amazing game!

Threads of Fate is related to Dewprism eh?  I might check em out.  Not familiar with either but the cover-image rings some distant bells in my head.

Dewprism is what ToF is called in Japan. It's a very, very obscure Squaresoft game from back when PSOne was first released...

I regret to this day never buying the game when I had the chance to... It was super fun and had a great storyline. Check out the song from it called "Through the Forest"... It brings back so much nostalgia for me. I'll probably do a remix of it someday TBH. 

Some more really obscure games I own are Eternal Eyes (PS1), Mischief Makers (N64), Quest 64, 8 Eyes (NES), Grandia (PS1), Lunar (PS1), Legend of Dragoon (PS1), Battle Hunter (PS1) and Kartia (PS1)...and they all have great music to them, if it inspires ppl to check them out. :)

1 hour ago, APZX said:

I really need to find a reason to get outside more. That and sleep more...

Same boat.  It's been rough.  To cap it off, I got hospitalized for a panic attack that I thought was a heart attack few days ago.  But not sleeping for 72 hours brings out a whole bevy of problems... And I thought 2020 was bad.  :D

[edit]

Dewprism is what ToF is called in Japan. It's a very, very obscure Squaresoft game from back when PSOne was first released...

I regret to this day never buying the game when I had the chance to... It was super fun and had a great storyline. Check out the song from it called "Through the Forest"... It brings back so much nostalgia for me. I'll probably do a remix of it someday TBH. 

Some more really obscure games I own are Eternal Eyes (PS1), Mischief Makers (N64), Quest 64, 8 Eyes (NES), Grandia (PS1), Lunar (PS1), Legend of Dragoon (PS1), Battle Hunter (PS1) and Kartia (PS1)...and they all have great music to them, if it inspires ppl to check them out. :)

"Through the Forest eh?" I'll do that RN.  I've beaten LoD and played Lunar and Grandia.  Got very far in both.  Watched a full LP of Lunar Silver Story Complete with HCBailly (I couldn't get disc 2 to work on Retroarch arg!).  I'll look into the other ones.

Edited by HoboKa

19 hours ago, HoboKa said:

Same boat.  It's been rough.  To cap it off, I got hospitalized for a panic attack that I thought was a heart attack few days ago.  But not sleeping for 72 hours brings out a whole bevy of problems... And I thought 2020 was bad.  :D

Well you're still kicking it so there is that! Seriously, take care of yourself :)

For the rest of you guys. My submission is up.

23 minutes ago, General Grunt said:

Well golly, I just finished a draft of mine...What's the deal with sharing the entry? Can we share them here or do we upload and share privately?

The preferred location to place your entry is http://compo.thasauce.net/rounds/view/MnP128

However, that is not a requirement. You can post it directly here on this thread as well. Essentially, however you can get a submission in. For the ThaSuace you do need to make an account, but it isn't all bad. Generally speaking, it is pretty solid.

Outside of that you should refrain from talking about the submissions until after the vote has gone through so as to not inadvertently or directly influence the results.

16 hours ago, APZX said:

The preferred location to place your entry is http://compo.thasauce.net/rounds/view/MnP128

However, that is not a requirement. You can post it directly here on this thread as well. Essentially, however you can get a submission in. For the ThaSuace you do need to make an account, but it isn't all bad. Generally speaking, it is pretty solid.

Outside of that you should refrain from talking about the submissions until after the vote has gone through so as to not inadvertently or directly influence the results.

I mean people usually post here as a result of being unable to upload to ThaSauce, and that's fine, even websites have to go down at some point right?

ThaSauce a great way to collect all the entries, in one spot, and that's the beauty of it.

16 hours ago, General Grunt said:

Well golly, I just finished a draft of mine...What's the deal with sharing the entry? Can we share them here or do we upload and share privately?

It's rare to have problems with uploading on ThaSauce, and if that's the case, people usually upload here. Or you can get me to upload it on your behalf.

That's on the basis you cannot submit though, which i'm sure you can.