MnP Round 128 - Spooktober Special!

TheVideoGamer

Welcome to the Voting Stage!

• There are 8 entries this round.
  • There is 0 Bonus entry(s) this round
  • There IS no voter bonus this round!
  • Nobody has a vote worth 2x. 
  • When Voting, if possible, avoid granting 1:1 covers top spot.  MnP requires a bit of remixage after all.  
  • Don't vote for Bonus entries please. 
  • Do let me know if you have problems voting, and we can sort something out.
  • Try and not make any comments about each entrant until after voting has concluded. Thanks!
  • Participants may not vote for themselves. 
  • The winner of this round, will join the winner of the last round, in a Double Dose source off, for MnP129

Vote ends 16th November 1PM.  

Vote here: http://compo.thasauce.net/rounds/view/MnP128

Nooo I forgot about the time difference. Uhh is there any way to get my vote in still? 

Edit: if not, I can just post my feedback here and disqualify myself this round. I think you were pretty generous with the deadlines and it's my fault for waiting to the last minute. It's all for fun and feedback anyway! 

Edited by HarlemHeat360

I feel that I need to provide a bit more explanation to my submission. At least some of the backstory. See, originally I had done some work with my chosen theme, and because I was a bit bored I threw up Ghosts n' Goblins and just tried to be silly with it. And at this point I was basically done with my take on Spinal's Theme. At this point I just decided to give a more thorough listen to the sources and listened to the Castlevania pick. Again purely for the funzies I opted to do a bit of a minor remix. Really, just a cover that I decided to make a bit silly.

It was at this point, I thought that it would be fun to add some spoken word elements to these three to try and sort of thematically link them together. At least in a really loose sense. So, I went to the interwebs looking for Halloween appropriate poems or short stories. Then I remembered about creepypastas, and then went down that rabbit hole. At this point in time I ran into Candle Cove, and I thought to myself, "You know? This could actually be a lot of fun!". So, the next morning I sat down with my mic and recorded the entirety of my Candle Cove take. I tried to just take bits & pieces that initially worked, but it always felt like it was just missing something. It was at this point I made the terrible mistake to try and fit every source together in a loose framework based around creepypasta. To me there are a few outliers that I just could not make work, but without all the sources there was really no way to make to creepypasta work in a reasonably flowing manner. So, I do agree with you @The Vodoú Queen that Concrete Canyon is way out of place, but I really could not think of a decent place to put it nor could I think of a way to do a remix that would have really placed it well either. The best way I could think to do it was to try and loosely link it to the bit about the main villain and the skin. So, that is the reason for the sore thumb, but at the end of the day I like to think of that track as more of the calm before the storm as it were thematically. In the sense that you've got some werewolves going around having fun before things start getting too real.

And really, I did this mainly, purely, and just because I can. It was meant to be something different. Something that you just put on and think to yourself, "What did I just listen to?"

I have to go to work and I don't want to delay things any further. I also want to look at my results and feedback so I need to post this now haha. Just consider me disqualified! Good job to everyone this round. You guys really put something special up

1st. Waiting for the Pounce - The Voudou Queen

Haha, what a start to the track! I am always enamored by those who can sample quotes and lines from things and add them into music. It's not a skill I have or something currently used in my minds eye. I'm honestly not personally keen on the musicality of the opening part but that's really 100% a personal preference thing. I appreciate the heck out of it

But once it gets into the groove of things. Yo... This is an actual Halloween party vibe. Like there is some real good melodic stuff going on and the chords are really effective. I think sometimes I want more. Like right before the last section there is some real fun and groovy chord progressions. Id love if it was expanded, had some like keyboard solos (like just runs and such) and maybe with some vibrato added in there just for funs sake. Like it's a whole groove and I think if it was dug into, I could dance all night long! The last section is very effective at what it does, like the first I think I am not one to comment too deeply because it's not my vibe but I do appreciate it and think it works. 

All and all, I really really think this was a great effort. You should be proud of what came out of it. I only wish the middle was expanded on, there were some more fun chord progressions, and maybe some more playful dynamics as well. Great job! 

2nd. Aeterni Inferni - Wassup Thunder

Oooh that low synth hits really well. I'm enjoying it. The effects are really interesting as well. There was a modulation in the middle of the song and I'm not familiar with the source so I'm unsure if you added it or not (edit: seems like it's there in the original too) but I actually dig it. Personally I think I would have gone for a major modulation or at least something brighter like a minor 7th but that's my taste. 

I enjoy the building of this overall. It's like I get to enjoy something new every few bars or so. It's always adding something. I think I wished for some more impact here and there but I think that's okay. Really I think what it needs was some shift in dynamics here and there. Something I struggle with when making music. The ending climax was very welcome though. That ending little effect there too! This really captured Halloween for me. I only wish that it had some more play with the sound field to really give the ears a treat (or a trick!)

3rd. Rites of Autumn - Colorado Weeks

Oh what is this? Now that's some spooky crap. There is like some kind of odd polyphony going on here. Almost like two different keys are being played it. Like it seems consonant but there is also something highly dissonant about this. I cannot put my finger on it. 

I think it's a bit too short or not expansive enough but I do think it was effective at being both spooky but somehow... Celebratory? It is the rites of autumn I suppose so it should have that celebratory feel. However whatever they are celebrating is spooky as all hell! I'm creeped out and I think that's a good thing. Good job here haha. I only wish that there was some more variety or another section to explore these rites! Very curious indeed

4th. That Desolate Field - Souperion

o___o;;; lord you guys are creeping me out haha. This is really reflective of something you'd hear in one of the Ghost in the Shell movies. Have you ever heard of any of them? I think you'd find some interesting inspiration there. The middle was a bit surprising with the shakuhachi. Like I knew there would be one but it caught me off guard. 

Here I think the problem for me is the song from a listening standpoint is a bit long. If this was for a scene for a movie I think this would fit but somehow for me it goes on a bit too long without offering much new as it continues to go. Overall though it is certainly interesting. You can send your sister this message from me! 

俳句を読んでくれて、ありがとうございます!お兄さんの作曲に不思議な雰囲気を加えました!

5th. What Lurks Below - Kat

I really wish I got to hear a more complete version of this.. It has a lot of interesting things that I'd like to get to know how to do personally or at the very least to identify the sound. I think it has this sort of clown or carnival kind of feel without being silly. Like it's not exactly scary but a bit unnerving. I'm unsure how to put it exactly. I think the guitars are really good here. The mixing seems to be a bit uhh chunky but I think it's because of how I'm listening to it and less so the mix itself. Still I think it could use some breath. 

Overall, this is good but I wish there was more! 

6th. Austrian Spinal - General Grunt

Oh lord. A polka? Hahaha, I can't say... It's my thing. But I think it does the polka well. It's a bit too little in terms of expansion is concerned and doesn't have enough to really keep my head in it, but I think what you went for you were successful in getting. Again, uhh, not a polka fan but it did right by the polka lol. I think though if it had more layers and some polyphony it could go beyond even polka lovers and into something even the polka haters would love. Darn those polka haters! 

7th. The Mandela Effect - APZX

Hm.. I think it's just too much here. I believe in your story and your vision. I think what you wanted to do was accomplished but it's a lot to ask for the listener and a lot to take in. That's not always a big deal to me. One of my favorite songs is a 50 minute mix of different tracks and vibes of 80s Japan. I think here however from a listening perspective it really wasn't effective for enjoying.

However, I think as a piece of art, I'd disagree with myself. You really set it apart by not only length but the depth and effort for you to put in. For that, I have to applaud you. Still, I don't think it was... A great choice for the competition given the meat n potatoes aspect and from a personal listening perspective it isn't my thing. But, props to you for creating something special. Take a bow! 

Results

• In 1st place with 14 points: HarlemHeat360
  • In joint 2nd place with 11 points: Wassup Thunder & The Vodou Queen
  • In 3rd place with points: Coloradoweeks
  • In joint 4th place with points: Souperion and Kat
  • In 5th place with points: General Grunt
  • And the last place hero with 3 points: APZX
  • Nobody created a bonus mix.

HarlemHeat360 please PM me with your source pick for Round 129. You are going to share a slot with Wassup Thunder in MnP129's Double Dose round. Ideally for next week (Roughly the 24th November)

Next round will be a Double Dose round. 2 sources for the price of one! 

Congrats to everyone who participated, you peeps did great! Awesome turnout this round, 8 entries! That's a huge number.

Comments:

APZX - Ok i'm using this section to finally muster up and review this monster entrant of yours. Although MnP doesn't really have rules in regards to track length as such, this one to me personally did come out as excessive. I'm all for 15-20 minute entries, especially if needed (And done well), but 30 minutes is way too much for me (And personally, after being here for quite some time, and looking at a lot of past rounds on all the compo's, you are quite possibly a record setter for the longest submission on ThaSauce period). This isn't a dig at your entry, it's a bit of...say concern for how long it is. But hopefully that shouldn't be a dampener on my comments.

Anyways time for me to take a look at this, and properly articulate my thoughts.

Since you've pretty much remixed every source, while telling a story, i feel it's appropriate to break it down source by source:

Ok first off, the dialogue are spot on. The effects on your voice is amazing, and the way you paced the story is fantastic. Now i have heard of the story, but i haven't invested the time into reading it, because i'm not a big Creepypasta nerd. But i did look into it, and the ending got me, not so much it was scary, i don't often get scared, but it was a seriously good twist. The story plays out like an internet forum conversation so it's kind of easy and effective to have the replies come in varying degrees. I like that it's not all sudden. but rather the reply comes maybe after a source remix. The big criticism however of the dialogue, is that the music doesn't give the voice chance to breath. When i hear one of the source remixes (As kind of background music), in contrast to your voice, i find it hard to make out what you are saying. When i have the text with me, it does sort of make it easier, but i still can't really hear your voice as such. The good news is that when a source remix comes in (At full volume), you don't speak, so it's great to hear each remix clearly. I also love you took each source in a different approach, i wasn't hearing the same style for each, and how you progressed with the story was also really good too. You kept it chilling without any sudden cuts, and i especially like how this wasn't just a remix album, but rather you made each source a part of the story, that was really good. I could go on further, but i feel like i need to discuss each source remix individually as each one was done in a different approach.

Ghosts n' Goblins: Great piano work in this one, really makes it feel like it belongs in Micky Mania or some kids show, it's very light, but very spooky. This is the kind of source that could work with big drums, in a rock kind of remix/or synthpop thing. It's a great opener, but could be developed a bit into like a 2-3 minute part (Which is funny, because the whole thing is long as it is lol). Nice work on that!

Spinal's Theme: This is very electronic, and reminds me of some kind of hip-hop trap song. The original orchestral version is almost given a full 180 in this. Great drum line, and the spooky voices give it a bit nice clarity, although i don't like the excessive delay tails that they come with, it distracts me from the music. I do like the bass in this one a lot, it's very thick and deep and and really makes me groove. I do miss a bit of the melody in this, the basslines get a bit too much attention in contrast to the rest, but i do like this idea a lot. Great job on this source!

Damned: This just suddenly comes in without warning. I feel it needs to be transitioned in. The whole thing could have smooth transitions to really allow the story to come to life. Although i've said it isn't just a remix album, i do feel parts get close to that, because there isn't really any dynamics or fade outs to slowly anticipate the music coming in. The one thing i love in this source rework is the pad and piano combo, it's not only super spooky, but it really adds depth to what is essentially just solo piano. The pad is thick enough to really make it stand out. The voice in this is really hard to decipher, the music is too aggressive for the voice, but as a whole lovely work on this section.

Mad Forest: Lots of similarities in instrument usage, however not everyone has the tools to make rock music or orchestral (Like me), so i understand. Great drums in this, almost like a balance of synthpop and electronica. In this one, you repeat the main melody a bit, which is fine, but i do feel that it doesn't feel like a smooth way of building you up into the source. While i do like the drums, i feel bigger beats are needed to match the intensity of the synths. The basslines and melodies are lovely here, great choice of sounds. It's still got a lovely spooky atmosphere that fits the source perfectly, which a lot of these remixes do very well. Great work on this!

Dead Sea: The music immediately starts when the voice cuts off. Well ok, it starts a little earlier, but it's still there. Personally i would fade in the music to account for a smoother transition, but that's just me. Great ambience here, very haunting, and the plucks resonate well in this one. The spooky stabs also seem to add a layer of darkness, cementing this as a mix of electronic Castlevania and orchestral horror music. This one so far is my personal favourite, because it's the best mixed, and the most fitting in the horror music line-up. It does need a bit of polish, as do all of the parts, but the idea was great, and it was again my personal favourite of the bunch so far (I'm reviewing this as i go along) Great work on this!

Ceremony: The story sounds awesome when there is no music, and just silence. Not only is the tension heightened, but your voice is very clear, and it works almost like a narration. This should be a staple throughout the whole piece. I like how you managed to transform a lot of the electronic elements into almost expressive orchestral sounds. This one feels almost sparkly, while still retaining a dark undercurrent. It's like something happy is trying to get in, but yet can't i love it. The impact of the drum is a nice touch, keeps it from being a single pad line, but a full almost ritual in a sense. The melody sounds like gamelan's in the original, and was created in a way to be almost like a clear chant/ostinato. In this remix, it gets blurred as a series of long reverbs and decay's, which is great for originality sense, but for me i like the original idea in a sense better. It fits that spiritual feel more, and is just more clearer in a sense. I guess taste is personal. Great work on this though!

Concrete Cave: This is what we call the Jazz piece, and already i can sense you opted to go for that 80's FM bass and drum-machine. A wise choice, it feels like your amplifying the jazz, but also the electronic parts. I am feeling at this point, that i could do with maybe some acoustic instruments, in the sense that nearly every track feels like an electronic arrangement. Now i do feel a bit hypocritical to say that, because nearly every remix i do, primarily features electronic instruments, and i do know how difficult it is, to gain access to acoustic instruments. I don't hate the all electronic approach, i just feel it might maybe give it a bit of contrast who knows. The main melody in particular could work on a Saxophone or a reed instrument. As of now it doesn't feel as expressive as it could be, but again that might be me. All in all though, great work on this!

Gothic Neclord: Another case of where the voice stops, and the music comes in. This kind of goes into my critique of the whole thing not being as smooth as it could be. Although i love all tracks and approaches here, if i've got to be honest, this is the weakest so far. There is a weird bit of distortion going on that i don't feel is intentional, specifically when the bass comes in, and the organ doesn't feel like it belongs there, even though it's necessary. I like when the drums come in, although i do find it interesting to use rock drums, maybe i'm used to a more dance beat for this. The drums sound great when you reboot the tune, but then the bass reduces it to background noise. The whole thing still sounds really good, and like i said, some people might think differently. All in all, great work on this!

Haunted House: Didn't even get a chance to let the last source fade out lol. Already into spooky choir territories, alongside some really cool piano work. Apart from the Damned remix, this might be my favourite use of the piano in your composition/journey so far. It keeps the momentum going, while still keeping the whole thing creepy. I also like the background FX, it's very atmospheric and haunting. I do notice, and again this isn't a hate towards the whole thing, when i listened to it, i thought the idea was super cool, and unique and that really left a mark on me, but i do notice these tracks were probably made in a short period of time, largely because a lot of them feel like repetitive loops, especially in this one, there isn't really any major dynamic changes or sound experiments going on, you've just really added synths to the source. My theory is that the story is the selling point, and the remixes to the source kind work as an extra thing. Still though everything i say is to be taken with a grain of salt, not everyone might feel the same way, and again the idea is super cool on the whole thing, really lovely idea. Great work on this!

Undercity: Again the source didn't have a chance to fade out. Also interesting i didn't hear any voices before the remix, maybe you were on the last paragraph or something. This one doesn't bother me, but it was an interesting revelation. Love the brass in this one. It doesn't sound realistic to me, but it was a joy to really bring out a bit of the natural orchestral sounds to close it off. The background FX were a bit loud for me personally in this one, it feels like you went a little too hard on the wind. The orchestral vibes were really good though, it's more epic than i'd expected. Of course there's still synths in there, to keep with the vibe, but honestly great work with this. The background parts need a lot of work, but the rest was really good, still fits the haunting feel. Great work on this!

And great work on the whole thing, to accomplish such a feat is nothing short of applause. I would never go to this great lengths, or not at least succeed in the way you've set out for it to. Sure it needs a bit of work and polish to really make it awesome, but the whole thing was really fun to listen to, it's a joy to hear you approach each source in your own style. The ending could have been more satisfying than sudden, but really though i still can't commend how impressive the whole thing was, really hats of for going for such a feat. Well done on the whole thing!

I feel like i've gone on a bit too long with this "review", so i'll summarize with pros and cons. It doesn't mean i hate this (Or have problems with it), it's more so what i've written is essentially "What i've liked" vs "What could be improved" kind of thing.

Pros:

• For nearly 30 minutes, i did not feel bored or tired. If anything, it felt shorter than expected.
  • Each source was well produced, even if it could do with polish. I loved each one.
  • The whole thing was a ton of fun, and i loved the idea, and more importantly the impressive feat you took to make this.
  • Your voice and the processing was amazing, really fits the spooky fit.
  • You told the story super well, definately was immersed in the whole thing.
  • Lots of cool unique approaches to how you remixed each source. Great work!
  • It was more than just a remix album, it was a full blown journey.
  • And because it was a journey, i didn't feel like i needed more.

Cons:

• Although i did say it wasn't just a remix album, i do feel each track just comes in without context/warning or any sort of anticipation. It just suddenly arrives.
  • I feel the tracks were made in a short period of time, since a lot of them used very similar sounds, and relied on a fair bit of repetition in some parts. I suppose it's the sources fault for being repetitive in a way, but i still feel more could be expanded upon in these sources to make it very varied and engaging.
  • Some sources come immediately after another. I would let the sound fade out before moving on.
  • When there is music, the voice gets masked, so much so i can't understand what you are saying. It's best to let the music be it's own voice, and the narration be another. That way it really amplifies the spooky nature of the idea.
  • Some of the sound FX like bird calls and laughing can be a little intrusive, especially in the Spinal remix, that one had a little bit too much delay on it.
  • With the exception to the last track, i felt more acoustic instruments could have worked here. I know i shouldn't be saying this, since i too overuse electronic sounds a lot, but in this sense a bit more piano or string, could take it to the next level. Most of what i'm hearing is similar electronic sounds, so it feels more like one piece, than multiple pieces. Again the story is the selling point, and i try to be as open minded as possible, so not everyone will agree with me. It's just me being in the moment.

Again you did a really amazing job on this, it's a lot of work, and the whole thing was a lovely idea. I don't want to keep talking, because i've already taken up so much text with this monster review, but i will say in the simplest of phrases, well done, keep at it!

Edited by TheVideoGamer

22 hours ago, Souperion said:

She says 聞いてくれてありがとうございました!

And I am now a messaging app XD

Haha poor soupy

Thank you everyone! I loved this round so much and I hope you guys join the next one. 

Edited by HarlemHeat360

On 11/21/2021 at 6:34 AM, HoboKa said:

I chose to preclude myself from the voting stage for personal reasons.  But I will download everyone's works and shove em on my USB dongle so I can jam to them in my car.  Congrats @HarlemHeat360!!  Looks like it was a close round ;)

No worries, not everyone can vote it's ok. You are always welcome to share feedback if you want. Take care!