Hope's Theme (Classic Video Game Rock Version)

Ci-a

A friend of mine asked me to make an arrangement of Hope's theme from Final Fantasy XIII. It's not really my usual style of arrangement, but I gave it a go. And then I got curious about what would happen if I actually applied my usual touch to it. I did not expect it to turn into a classic video game rock song, but here we are. Fair warning: it's one hell of an earworm. 

Hope's Theme (Classic Video Game Rock Version)

Hey, that is a pretty catchy tune! Also, welcome to the OCR forums :)

Really nice [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNtglfbpRXE]source tune[/url] and I like the idea to take it into the rock genre. Sounds like your samples are holding it back somewhat at the moment - any chance you could get a live guitar on it? If not, try changing up the effects when the percussion kicks in to add some distortion on the lead and make it sound a bit more natural.

I like what you've got here so far - are you planning on working on it some more? Which DAW are you using?

5 hours ago, DarkSim said:

Hey, that is a pretty catchy tune! Also, welcome to the OCR forums :)

Really nice [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNtglfbpRXE]source tune[/url] and I like the idea to take it into the rock genre. Sounds like your samples are holding it back somewhat at the moment - any chance you could get a live guitar on it? If not, try changing up the effects when the percussion kicks in to add some distortion on the lead and make it sound a bit more natural.

I like what you've got here so far - are you planning on working on it some more? Which DAW are you using?

Thank you! Well, I guess this shows just how much of a beginner I am, because it's an mp3 taken straight from musescore. I totally agree with the guitar comment. I would have liked to get a more dynamic and less repetetive drum section too, but this was literally the first time I wrote drums for anything at all. I'm a classical pianist who usually makes piano covers. A friend of mine requested a cover of this song, and I got curious what would happen if I took the 3/4 to a 4/4 - and then I got even more curious what would happen if I kept the guitar instead of going down my usual piano route. 

Do you have any advice for where to go from here? I'm probably going to consider this finished since I've got other requests that I'm working on, but I'd still love to know more. 

My advice would be to keep experimenting and trying new things - it's the best way to learn. If you're already a pianist, try building a track around the piano with other elements added in electronically. I'd suggest getting a proper DAW (digital audio workstation) to do your production on as well. A lot of people here use Fruity Loops which has a free trial, I myself use Ableton Live, also available to try for free. Have fun with it :)

Edited by DarkSim