OCR04343 - *YES* Pac-Man "You Had Me at Yellow"

Emunator

ReMixer name : Bortcle
userid :  37429
link to MP3 : 
Name of game : Arcade Pac-Man
Name of Arrangement : You had me at yellow
original songs : Pac-Man Arcade start-up and intermissions themes

explanation : Actually, I am also inspired by the Pac-Man world 2&3 games' gameplay sound effects for making this remix, however the original start-up and intermission themes are what those are derived from anyway, so they still remain the clearly thematic arps featured in this remix.
Thanks.

• 2 months later...

Haven't heard any good glitch in a while.  Fun stuff.  This takes a 5-second loop to a whole lot of different places, and I enjoyed it a lot.

It does open with a grungy bass synth with a super slow attack that's jarring to listen to. Or maybe it's sidechained to something muted?  It works better after the percussion comes in, because it sounds like it's just sidechained to duck the kick.  Initially it's really unpleasant.

The entire middle section is clearly inspired by your starting point, but it's not Pac-Man at all from 2:17-4:10 and 4:36-4:52.  It's only 36% of the entire arrangement, but it's a huge block of time.

Even though the weakest part of this is the opening, everything else is pretty great.  Also the title is delightful.  I approve.

YES

Edited by MindWanderer

• Liontamer changed the title to 2021/06/01 - (1Y) Pac-Man "You Had Me at Yellow"
  • 3 weeks later...

oh, this is really fun. tons of source right off the bat, big fat soundscape. love the super fat sidechaining. i appreciate that there's a lot of changing textures and creative synth work to keep it moving. there's so many crazy shifts everywhere that it's hard to point one that i really like the most, but i think my favorite part is the clicky kick that's throughout. arrangement is great - usually five seconds of melodic content and a five-minute mix is a recipe for copypasta, but this is fresh and creative to the last few seconds.

in answer to MW's comments - there's source to 2:25, and then the bassline is the one that was defined earlier by the chords. the detuned bells and hornet synth after that - around 2:50 for example - are playing the melodic content in a different rhythm. the following filtered stuff is the original melodic content's chords arpeggiated differently. 3:16's still got the bass pattern, and the lower saw is again playing the melodic content's arp part with a few extra notes in between. 3:49's link is rhythmic - it's roughly the same rhythm and shape as the melodic content, although a bit different execution. 4:36's is the melodic content stretched out - not sure where the issue was there.

it's mastered extremely loud, which is fine, but the constant pressure is admittedly tiring. even the 'breaks' are super loud. in general i look for more dynamic contrast in breaks, but there's nothing technically wrong with how this is handled.

what a great track.

YES

• prophetik music changed the title to 2021/06/01 - (2Y) Pac-Man "You Had Me at Yellow"

I'm definitely a dad actually laughing out loud at that arrangement title, shame on me. :'-)

Something to be said when the crappy opening & closing piano sample is the worst thing about this track, then nearly everything else is awesome. The levels were definitely too hot, but I won't be voting this down on those grounds, no sir. Can't complain about it being too hot when the shit's fire. (SEE? Dad-level joke! Not even!) :-)

A lot of mileage out of a classic jingle, and the extended original section at 2:17 prevented this from descending into any sort of monotony. I actually would have liked to have heard more with the Intermission jingle, not that that's a complaint; this was just such a creative arrangement that I thought there'd be a few more bars of that too. Wild ride, Bortcle, welcome aboard!

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to 2021/06/01 - (3Y) Pac-Man "You Had Me at Yellow"
  • 2 weeks later...

What a joy! Everything about this had me smiling, from the title, through the saccharine intro, the psytrance middle section, and out the other side again.

No problems with the intro synth - it reminds me of Benny Benassi's 'Satisfaction'. Proper twisted saws there. The compression is almost comically high, although definitely intentional, and just serves to highlight what an absolutely in-your-face track this is. It's a bold move, as pushing the limits so hard means your sound design and production has nowhere to hide, but fortunately everything is on point here. The drop at 2:26 is pure filth. The beat switch at 3:17 is madness. It's hard to pick a favourite part of this - there are so many cherries on the top of this ReMix, you'll be chasing them around for many listens to come.

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR04343 - *YES* Pac-Man "You Had Me at Yellow"
  • Liontamer locked this topic