PRC436 - I Am A Remixer (Mystical Ninja Goemon)

Bundeslang

The People's Remix Competition 436
PRCv18-16

Hello everyone and Welcome to the People's Remix Competition!

In PRC434 it was Studionimbus.org who got his second win a a row. The source has been selected..

On 10/31/2021 at 8:08 PM, studionimbus said:

For my next choice, “I Am Impact” from Mystical Ninja Goemon on Nintendo 64. This was one of my favorite video games growing up—you could unlock a menu that allowed you to play all the music from the game! There are a lot of huge winners in this game’s OST, one of my favorites being “Kai Highway.” Ultimately, though, it was always “I Am Impact” that was my biggest ear worm. With its over-the-top instrumentation, high energy, goofy vocals and lyrics, I was humming this almost everyday as a kid. The source material is fairly simple, but there is so much that can be done with it! I look forward to hearing all of your beautiful voices!

“I Am Impact” can be found at 23:44. I am on mobile and away from my computer and will provide a MIDI file either tomorrow or the next day.

Source: Mystical Ninja Goemon (N64) - I Am Impact

https://compo.thasauce.net/files/materials/PRC436_Mystical_Ninja_Starring_Goemon_I_am_Impact_Arranged_dw.mid

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mystical_Ninja_Starring_Goemon

https://compo.thasauce.net/rounds/view/prc436

The deadline is Wednesday December 1st 2021 at 10:59 am ThaSauce time (18:00 UTC, 19:00 GMT), check the link https://compo.thasauce.net/rounds/view/prc436 for the exact time left. Make sure that the song is uploaded to ThaSauce or that there’s a download link posted in this thread. 

You may enter as many mixes as you like and work with as many people as you like on each mix. You are free to create a second ThaSauce account for that if you use ThaSauce, it's needed to be able to upload a second remix if you use ThaSauce. Of course you can also upload it somewhere else and put a download link in this thread.

Do not make qualitative comments on an entry until the results of the vote have been posted in this thread.

Mixers cannot vote for themselves but if they vote they receive a free first place vote added onto their score.

The winner of this round may select the source for PRC439.

Studionimbus.org can enter with a bonus song and has a double vote.

You can find the full rules list at this page as well.

GOOD LUCK!

PRC Home Page

14 hours ago, studionimbus said:

Everyone has to sing 😂😂 this will be fun!

*Glances at headset's microphone* 😅 This is a professional piece of equipment, right?? I can just click "record" in FL studio and it'll magic my voice into the music, right? Can I even pronounce Japanese??? I may need to find a karaoke version...

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome to the voting stage

The mixing stage is over. This round has 3 songs and 1 bonus mix by Studionimbus.orgThe following people compete against each other:

Souperion

Wassup Thunder

TheVideoGamer

To vote, do the following:

Visit https://compo.thasauce.net/rounds/view/prc436 and listen to all the entries

Scroll to the form at the bottom of the screen or click PM.

Fill in the entries from first to third in the ThaSauce form or fill in your top 3.

State a reasoning for it.

Participants are encouraged to vote and leave feedback. They get a 3 point bonus, but they are not allowed to vote for their own track. They only have to fill in their top 2, leave the third box empty.

Always look in this thread to find out who's the winner of the round after the voting stage instead of only looking at ThaSauce for the results.

You have until Monday December 6th 2021 10:59 AM ThaSauce time (11:00 UTC, 12:00 GMT) to vote.

If you vote by PM make sure that your top 3 is clear. I prefer something like this:

(To)

(Subject)

PRC ### Vote

(Message):

1: (remixer A )

2: (remixer B )

3: (remixer C )

(reasoning)

It's results time.

Studionimbus.org submitted a bonus song.

TheVideoGamer got 5 points and the last place wooden spoon.

Wassup Thunder received 8 points and second place.

And the winner of PRC436 is Souperion with 9 points.

Souperion you are the winner. It was very close, but the victory is yours. You may pick a source for PRC439. Send the source to me (with a MID/MP3 file, otherwise send a second source with a MID file) by PM, other options are PM me @ ThaSauce or by e-mailing to bambombim@gmail.com (I prefer a PM @Ocremix). Send your source as fast as you can, but before next Wednesday (22 December 2021), 11:00 AM ThaSauce time (18:00 UTC, 19:00 GMT).

You may select any source from any game, but not a source with an OverClocked remix or a source which has been used in PRC before. An overview of the past PRC's can be found in the following links (I recently updated this site):

http://sites.google.com/site/bambombim/prc

http://bambombim.googlepages.com/PRCRemixList.doc (also downloadable via the link above).

https://compo.thasauce.net/rounds/view/prc436 for the votes and comments.

PRC437 already started:

Edited by Bundeslang

• 3 weeks later...

Ok so i've finally managed to get around to listening to these. Let's take it from the top:

Souperion - Nice Euro vibes in this one, very much feels like it belongs in a racing game. To be the fair the original was a bluesy song. I don't think anyone has incorporated the vocals to the mix yet lol, but i think that's the humour of the source. Great drums, very nice electronica feels, melody was tight too. I love how vibrant and energetic it sounds, definately belongs in a racing game. Big fan of the synths here. The only critique i have is, that there are moments where it get's a bit too intense, specifically in the drums. I feel like they're could be a little less drum usage in certain areas, maybe make it more of a simple 4/4, than going all out in the fills. I love me some heavy music, but for a source like this, i feel like it could do with a breakdown or two. The whole thing was super nice though, the sound effects towards the end was CRAZY. Definately some super enjoyable production, you did a great job on this, well done!

Wassup Thunder - Another Eurobeat tune, it almost feels like you were feeding off each other lol. This would have actually made it really hard to vote for either of you guys, since both are pretty much the same genre lol. I will admit, i do like the melody work in this one a lot, really great synth usage. Really adds a lot of cool touches to the track. The fills in this one are more pronounced too i really like it a lot. The pitch slide (Almost like a guitar slide), gets way too loud for me. I can't tell if it's a guitar, sounds like a Theremin. Ending was awesome, loved that tid-bit, of having a crash followed by the victory theme, ton of fun. So far i'm having little to talk about in this round, because both tracks are very similar, (and are also well produced), but if i have to be honest, i prefer Souperions over yours, but i think it's because the drums are more thicker in that track, compared to this. However this one was a ton of fun, and very well produced. Well done!

studionimbus.org -  Very sweet guitar effects, loving the chorus, reverb and delay on the whole thing. Really digging the live aspect of this, it's a real band with real instruments. The fill into the main guitar riff was sweet. Didn't expect you to actually sing the song lol, massive props to that. I love your take on this, it's very much a rock band cover, compared to the orchestral pop original. The main critiques i have in this remix mostly stems from mixing and your voice. First your voice is very dry, i would sub some reverb in there. Also i feel the drums could do with being a little bit more powerful, more often than not, they get lost into the mix, especially for a track this rocking. Other than that though, your guitar licks were beautiful, i loved your playing. I also love that you actually attempted to sing this thing, i didn't think you would actually do that, awesome on that part. The whole thing was super enjoyable to listen to, great ideas. Well done!