Mega Man 3 - Wily's Fortress stage 1

MartinH

https://youtu.be/raS81bYxK2g

I went straight into this knowing I wanted it to be styled just like my Gemini Man remix. I think that synthwave jazz style is very adaptable to this song.

My favourite part of this remix is 1:19 to 1:26 which is half way through a solo when my alternate lead synth plays unison with a piano and making some unexpected rhythm and melodies before a short silenced pause. Feels so groovy and jazzy. 

I made some alternate chord progressions in some sections of this song, for example at 0:32 to 0:45 where the key changes slightly in a way you probably heard in many progressive styled songs. I played that kind of chord progressions a lot when I went to a music high school at the age of 17-19 years old, and also after that. It's something you can apply to many styles and get a really beautiful sound and atmosphere from.

If you noticed in this song, the bass almost plays the same note at all times, but with a nice groove to it. This also gives a very special harmony to the chords, when the bass note stays the same and the chords are moving underneath it.

An example for you who is interested in music theory, the refrain (from 0:32) goes like: DbAdd11, Abm7/Db, A6#11/Db, Gb6sus9/Db where the third chord, A6#11/Db, gives that key change effect that I think is so beautiful, despite the bass staying at Db. 

Another cool thing about the refrain is right after these chords it goes up a couple of keys from Db to E which I just love in the original as well.

In its entirety I think this theme is so good and remixing/cover it was true pleasure and joy. I hope you can chill with it or just dig it as much as I do. 

About the background, I tried to create some kind of widescreen monitoring the first part of the stage itself. MegaMan is watching carefully as he needs to go in there and infiltrate Wily's fortress. 

I hope you all like this! Thanks for reading and listening.