OCR04305 - *YES* Deltarune "A Glitch Hop's World"

Gario

ReMixer name: Spad3s

Userid: 37731

Game arranged: Deltarune Chapter 2
Name of arrangement: A Glitch Hop's World
Song arranged: A CYBER'S WORLD?

FL Studio, Serum, Kontakt

The moment I listened to this song in-game I immediately thought of the melodies of TheFatRat and decided to try and make a glitch hop style song using the composition of cyber's world :)

Well, this has been a soundtrack that I've been listening to more and more since it's come out, and it's one of the best from the chapter, to boot. Great choice on source, and the amount of meat added to the arrangement is on full display right from the outset. The production is clean, the instruments all sound great, and the drums hit you hard in the face. Stylistically it's very fitting to the source material, as well.

The mixing overall is quite good, but there are moments where we lose the lead behind everything else that's in play. This is evident at 0:47, but it's even more prominent of an issue at 2:52 when there are more textures that are in play. Everything sounds great, but be sure to remember who the main hook in the show's gonna be, which is generally your lead.

The arrangement is pretty conservative, but it does take some liberties with the lead and harmonies from time to time, and the shift to a heavier glitch hop style does some real lifting in making the track your own. Some of the counter melodies aren't really hitting me right, particularly at 2:36 - 2:43 and 3:07 - 3:38. The fourths held under the lead don't blend well with the harmonies below, and sound stiff when played in parallel like that. If you're gonna double in parallel always make sure it makes sense in the harmonies you're laying out, at the very least, otherwise the doublings can sound odd or even wrongly dissonant.

Compared to the rest of the overall quality, though, these are relative nit picks. This is a nice, strong package given what's here, and even if it's a hair on the conservative side I believe it's got enough personality to have it stand out as your own. Nice work!

YES

• Gario changed the title to 2021/09/28 - (1Y) Deltarune "A Glitch Hop's World"

Ah, TheFatRat! I definitely get the influence here, in fact it’s unmistakable if you’ve heard TheFatRat’s brand of upbeat, kid-in-a-candy-shop glitch-hop.

I dig the tempo increase and sidechaining to get the track really bouncing. I also like your technique to cut out the bass when your kick and snare are hitting, to allow them to punch through. The sweet-sounding square leads are a good choice for the countermelody, although I may have liked a little more vibrato on the longer notes, similar to the source. The source actually has another layer in there which I’m glad you decided to omit, as it probably would have been too busy with the bass, arp, melody and countermelody already in play.

Although the percussion is nice and bouncy, I felt the transition into the break at 1:18 was a little weak, and could have benefitted from a fill, or some more TLC with effects. Similarly, the build to the chorus and transition at 2:19 was a little basic, with the snare going from 1/4 to 1/8ths then 1/16ths and some white noise with filtering. That said, predictability isn’t necessarily a bad thing, and there’s certainly enough energy and groove in the chorus to forgive a slightly generic build.

After a couple of listens, I found my left ear was feeling more fatigued than my right ear, and looking at the break from 1:18-2:18 I can see that the panning is a bit too biased towards the left side. The arp could benefit from a little more pong in the ping-pong delay, as it’s almost entirely in the left ear for a full minute, and when the bell synth comes in at 1:45 and 2:14, that is also left-biased, so I’d suggest taking extra care with panning in future. I wouldn’t say it’s a dealbreaker in this case after 1 listen, but on repeated listens it certainly begins to grate.

The stacked notes in the square countermelody are an interesting addition, particularly in the final chorus from 3:07-3:37, which on first listen I wasn’t sure about. On subsequent listens however, it was more expected and so not as unusual. Maybe some different harmonies could have worked better there, and I see Gario has already offered some tips on that front.

Overall it’s a solid track that accomplishes exactly what it sets out to do, paying homage to the source and nailing the style it’s trying to emulate. There are improvements that could be made, but as it is I think this one does enough to make it over the bar.

YES

• DarkSim changed the title to 2021/09/28 - (2Y) Deltarune "A Glitch Hop's World"
  • 2 weeks later...

what a great original. need to spend more time with this ost.

i agree with darksim about the tempo increase - it really changes a lot surprisingly to pick it up just a little bit like that. the initial presentation of the backgrounds and subsequently adding the lead sound very, very good. well balanced and meaty without being overbearing. the first break at 1:18 was a little surprising but it's well-timed. i really like the filtro synth with the bends here, it's a great evocative synth in the middle of the arps and sweeps. 

there's a build starting at 2:06 which was kind of dry, but i like the aural shift at 2:20 and that it didn't go back to the chords and everything. i i agree however with gario about the harmonies - i generally don't like hard mirroring down a fourth/fifth because you always get weird notes, and that happened here. i like the idea of adding harmonies however.

i feel like i'm just mirroring the other votes, but they're good votes so that doesn't feel too weird. ultimately the comments i have are nitpicks, and there's so much to like about this track that can't be explained solely by a great original. excellent work making your own thing out of a great track.

YES

• prophetik music changed the title to 2021/09/28 - (3Y) Deltarune "A Glitch Hop's World"

Cool stuff! A pretty by-the-numbers treatment of the melody, but a nice adaptation to this swung rhythm and denser energy. I could have done without the pumping, but that's a personal taste thing. The chorus sounds like Toby Fox cribbed "Wonderboy" by Tenacious D; maybe it was a subconscious thing. Not a groundbreaking interpretation, but solid.

YES

• djpretzel changed the title to OCR04305 - *YES* Deltarune "A Glitch Hop's World"
  • Liontamer locked this topic