MnP 129: Double Dose: The Guardian Legend - Forest Labyrinth & Saga Frontier 2 - Rosenkranz

TheVideoGamer

Compo: MnP (Meat 'n Potatoes)

Congratulations to Wassup Thunder for winning MnP127 and HarlemHeat360 for winning the MnP128 Spooktober Special! As a result of the special, which involved selecting some sources, Wassup Thunder moved his source pick to this round, which also contains HarlemHeat's pick, since he won the special. As a result, they both chose their own source for this month's MnP source!

Here's Wassup Thunder said about his pick: 

"got another NES chiptune source for us: Silicon Forest/Forest Labyrinth from The Guardian Legend (I think one's the Japanese name and the other's the English name, I dunno.) The Guardian Legend was a game that combined isometric adventuring with top-down schmup action with some rpg elements (this song is the theme for the forest isometric area). It had some outstanding qualities and some downs, but sadly the game's company is defunct so the franchise is ded :( But the soundtrack has some very nice melodies that lets it live on through remixers like us! A lot of my first OCR downloads were remixes of this game, and this song is among my favorites. It's short, and I look forward to hearing everyone's personal spins on this!" - Wassup Thunder

GAME: The Guardian Legend (NES)

SOURCE: Forest Labyrinth

VIDEO:

And here's what HarlemHeat360 had to say about his/her's pick:

"Hey there, my source choice is Rosenkranz from Saga Frontier 2. I can't find a midi online but I have one one I extracted from a PSF on my PC and can give it sometime tomorrow. The reason why I picked this is because it's beautiful haha. Really it touches on something special about music and I can't quite put my finger on it. It somehow sits in this special category in my head of "I want to make music like this." An exclusive place of varying genres and complexities but all simply beautiful. I'm hoping through others interpretation of this piece I can maybe find out more of what it is exactly about this piece that makes me wanna make the same thing." - HarlemHeat360 

GAME: Saga Frontier 2 (PlayStation 1)

SOURCE: Rosenkranz

VIDEO:

Deadline: 13th December @ 1PM

Closing Date: 15th December @ 1PM

Vote Ends: 22nd December @ 1PM

MnP ARCHIVE  made by Trism ;)

submit: https://compo.thasauce.net/rounds/view/MnP129

MISSION STATEMENT
The goal of Compo:MnP is to promote that "meat and potatoes" conservative approach to remixing: this includes the mood and composition of source tunes. It is up to the remixer to create their own personalization, or to simply give it a sound upgrade. Moreover, the compo is a great opportunity to hone your remixing skills and give video game music the respect that is due. SOME reinterpretation is recommended, but not required.

MnP Instructions/Guidelines

Rules for Picking a Source:

1. All video game sources are limited to the 6th generation of video game consoles and earlier. This was due to community consensus, where people preferred to remix more retro games, than newer games. 6th generation includes: GameCube, Xbox, PS2 and Dreamcast. 
  2. I'm now restricting big name franchises (Such as Zelda and Mega-Man) to one source per year. This is to encourage more obscure games, that not many people will know about to be picked. 
  3. Make sure you provide me both a video and a MIDI of the source in question

Note: This is subject to change. Also keep an eye out, if any special rounds come into fruition.

Guidelines:

1. Modifying the Source is fine, so long as it doesn't sound completely separate from its original intent. 
  2. If you're gonna do a genre change, at least make sure the original aspect of the source is not lost.
  3. Tempo changes are fine, as long as it's not a big change. I'm talking like, going from 80bpm to 140bpm. 
  4. Submissions must be at a maximum of 20mb (keeping in step with ThaSauce's file size max), and submitted as a MP3 file.
  5. Only 1 entry per participant. Previous winner cannot participate but can submit a BONUS entry. 
  6. Try to avoid making quality-based comments on submissions until after the Round is concluded.  It is to avoid a Bias in Votes.

MISC/TIPS
- When picking a source tune, make sure it has a MIDI to make people's lives easier.
- In-game sound FX are permitted, so long as they don't comprise the whole track (i.e. replacing entire MIDI tracks with just sfx)

Edited by TheVideoGamer

I might try something...

Guardian Legend is tempting me more than the Granstream, Tactics Advance and Seymour rounds have done, combined...

So, maybe...but I'd want to do the sources an utmost justice. Dunno if I can pull it off, TBH.

Edited by The Vodoú Queen

On 11/25/2021 at 4:14 AM, evktalo said:

Hah yeah, I could definitely see these sources going together.

Interesting to hear the triangle channel going quite high in the Guardian Legend tune.

To be fair, a lot of NES soundtracks used the triangle channel as a melody source, than a bassline, and that's kind of what made them sound so great.

On 11/25/2021 at 8:05 PM, The Vodoú Queen said:

I might try something...

Guardian Legend is tempting me more than the Granstream, Tactics Advance and Seymour rounds have done, combined...

So, maybe...but I'd want to do the sources an utmost justice. Dunno if I can pull it off, TBH.

I'm the same, both sources are really good. But surprisingly might work in a key change or something.

Ideas are endless lol.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys a few things:

First an obvious one. Hope you all had a lovely Christmas, and soon to be new year. I enjoyed mine. Hopefully next year will be a good one.

Second: Obviously where the hell have i been?

Well i'm going to bring you a bit of slightly unfortunate news. Throughout Christmas i've been having an on and off relationship with my internet, and not long ago was the final straw. The whole of my internet blacked out, and i've been working through the clock to get it fixed. Now everything is up and running, which is awesome, so that's means it's no longer bad news. It does mean i had to have days without internet, so i couldn't talk to you guys. Also since it's Christmas i have a lot of stuff planned, so i wasn't able to have full access to my computer, and i was too busy to check the phone, so i had to work with the limitations as a result. Right now, i have a free day to use my computer and hopefully sort it out. It's also when i noticed only 1 official entry and a bonus, so i snagged something in, i had already worked on before i had left for one of my trips. Hope you guys were ok with my absence. Everything from now on should be smooth. 

So what's the future then?

Since i've added mine in, the voting will go on as normal. The difference being, i've accommodated for my absence, so the voting ends on the 5th of January, than the intended date. The person who wins will get to pick one for MnP131. I said 131 here, because i'm planning a new year celebration round. Keep out for that. I don't need you to PM me or anything, you'll see the round as it's created. Don't worry, it's not ready yet, more info will be released soon.

All other rounds are as normal, apart from that one, so nothing will be out of the ordinary, and hopefully since it's January i will be active pretty much as full time as i can be. So don't panic, i haven't abandoned or left Compo, i've just had a few hiccups and celebrations to go through. 

Anything else to add?

Nope i think that's it. I want to extend a huge thank you to those who have stuck with my absence. Being gone a while makes a person very confused, so hopefully all works out for the future. Much love to you guys!

Alright, ima post the voting stage now.

Edited by TheVideoGamer

On 12/16/2021 at 11:17 PM, Wassup Thunder said:

*Nervous glance left. Nervous glance right.* Soooooo, what happens if only one person submitted a non-bonus entry? 😅
Do they just win the round automatically?

Well technically there would be an extension (For about 2 days), and if nobody submits (In the extension), the person automatically wins. However since i didn't legally authorise any extension (Via OCR), it's been more of a delay/haitus thing than a lack of entries thing. It's all sorted now, although i wouldn't really do this often, because i'm trying to be as ethical as possible, but i feel we need to get things back on track, so it's the most viable option for the time.

Edited by TheVideoGamer

Welcome to the Voting Stage!

• There are 2 entries this round.
  • There is 1 Bonus entry(s) this round
  • There IS a voter bonus this round!
  • Wassup Thunder has a vote worth 2x. 
  • When Voting, if possible, avoid granting 1:1 covers top spot.  MnP requires a bit of remixage after all.  
  • Don't vote for Bonus entries please. 
  • Do let me know if you have problems voting, and we can sort something out.
  • Try and not make any comments about each entrant until after voting has concluded. Thanks!
  • Participants may not vote for themselves.  

Vote ends 5th January 1PM.  

Vote here: https://compo.thasauce.net/rounds/view/MnP129

Results

• In 1st place with 12 points: Souperion
  • The 2nd and last place hero with 10 points: TheVideoGamer
  • Wassup Thunder created a bonus mix.

Souperion please PM me with your source pick for Round 131. Normally i'd say next week, however the next round is a special round, so this one is another double dose for 131. Deadline is the 20th of January. Thanks. 

Next round will be a Double Dose round. So whoever wins MnP130 will also be selecting a source for MnP131. 2 sources for the price of one! 

Congrats to everyone who participated, you peeps did great! 

Comments:

Very short turnout this time. Maybe it's a January/February thing i don't know. Oh well, the next round is a special start of 2022 round! Keep and eye out for that!