*NO* Final Fantasy 7 "Jenovah's De-Evolution"

Emunator

This is Audiomancer, and this is a remix I did of Jenova's theme feom FF7 titled Jenovah's De-Evolution. I made this completely on my phone...break time at work is the most time I get to do with this sort of thing. Below are the remix and original theme. Thanks for your consideration ahead of time:)

Source: 

Edited by Emunator

• 1 month later...

such a great original. this soundtrack is iconic for a reason.

big, fat opening sound, and some obvious arrangement right away between the modified arp and some funky leads dancing around. there's some fun pads going on behind the scenes here but i found the bass to be oppressive. there's a nice break at about 0:42 with some delicious bass slides (which still felt too loud tbh), and it gets back the beat with a neat bitcrushed fill. new lead in this section continuing the sliding concept. the drums are pretty similar to the opening but continue to have some different fills and more nuanced things to mix it up, which is good. there's another metallic pad fill going into 1:34 similar to 0:42, a short break, and then we're back to The Big Showdown. this is really loud here at 1:47 - bass especially has a lot more going on, and the compressor's engaged pretty much full-time from 1:47-1:57, and then it suddenly drops down in volume and normalizes some. there's another runthrough of the melodic content, and then it wraps with the victory fanfare. it's a little short honestly - i love what you're doing and i'd love to have more of it. the breaks feel rushed - you could expand more there without losing the energy throughout.

from a mastering perspective, this one has some stuff that needs work. some issues i heard include the right ear having a higher RMS throughout for whatever reason (is your bass panned?), the section from 1:47-1:57 being really just too loud despite having fun stuff going on, and in general the mix feeling light in the highs and much heavier in the low mids (mostly because the bass is all fundamental and not much else). a glance at the freq analysis for that one big section explains why this feels like this - it's by far the heaviest between 50-120hz, and then drops off consistently above 8khz. that bass needs some reduction to allow other fundamentals to speak out and fill in the sub-1k range a bit, and the highs could really use a push to help the mix sparkle more. 

image.thumb.png.3752f0424cad34379d96160fa541d149.png

i think the arrangement is great, but this needs some mastering work before i'd call it good. great start though, this is a fun listen.

NO

Edited by prophetik music

• prophetik music changed the title to 2021/05/08 - (1N) Final Fantasy 7 "Jenovah's De-Evolution"
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't have an issue with the production per se.  Highs are a little light, but I think that's more an arrangement issue than a production one.  There's no high-end percussion: no hats, no crashes, and the claps sound like they have a low pass filter on them.  There are no arps, no sweeps, and no pads that occupy that range.

proph was also right in that the arrangement feels underdeveloped.  All your vamping is done with the same saw, and the whole thing is very short.  It's good that you haven't padded it out unnecessarily, but even in 2 minutes, there's not a ton of development.  And the ending... I'm sorry, but a sudden cut to "Fanfare" has been done so, so many times by now that it's not much better than a fade-out.

The instrument choice sounds like mostly vanilla presets.  From that selection, the choices are fine, but it sounds like audio design circa the year 2000.

I like the creativity that is on display here, and it's a solid approach.  But it needs more fleshing out, both in terms of ideas and in terms of soundscape.

NO

• MindWanderer changed the title to 2021/05/08 - (2N) Final Fantasy 7 "Jenovah's De-Evolution"
  • 2 months later...

Some excellent feedback has been given by the judges already - I can't really do much more than agree with what's been said. There's some great arrangement ideas at work here, and to your credit, you've done a lot with a limited palette of sounds through automation and clever sequencing, but I do feel like your arrangement ideas are being held back by simplistic synth patches and drum sounds and, presumably, the limitations of a mobile DAW. The production just lacks the punch that naturally comes with a  full-fledged DAW - even some of the stock sounds in FL Studio or Ableton would take your arrangements to the next level and open up a lot more possibilities for sound design. 

I also want to touch on the ending - any of the ideas introduced after the 2 minute mark were cool in their own right, but there's a lack of flow between them and it sounds like you had some leftover ideas in your project file that aren't properly connected or fleshed out long enough to make sense in context of the arrangement.

As always, there's some great ideas at work here! You've showcased a natural ability to take different melodies and expand/manipulate them in really clever ways, but this still feels like those ideas are ultimately stifled by underdeveloped sound design and vanilla-sounding samples. I know you've got what it takes to get something posted though, so keep at it!

NO

• Emunator changed the title to *NO* Final Fantasy 7 "Jenovah's De-Evolution"
  • Emunator locked this topic