PRC437 - Time For Sonic Again (Sonic Unleashed)

Bundeslang

The People's Remix Competition 437
PRCv18-17

Hello everyone and Welcome to the People's Remix Competition!

In PRC435 it was TheVideoGamer who got another win. He picked the source for this last regular round of this year.

On 11/24/2021 at 4:01 AM, TheVideoGamer said:

This is a source that everyone will sort of resonate with, coming from a franchise everyone should know by now. If not, you have a lot of catching up to do. It's also one that took me quite some time to get the MIDI out for. It's also one of the many tunes, where people seem to get the notes completely wrong. So believe me, i went hard listening by ear. Luckily though, i manage to make it in just around a week (Alongside other stuff). 

The game i'm referring to is Sonic Unleashed. A game at a time period where Sonic had experienced an all time low. Sonic 06 was terrible, and people knew that the 15th Anniversary was a disaster, because all the games at that time just sucked, or were overshadowed by the bigger games. Since Sonic 06 was so bad, some people considered it the worst game ever. Sonic Team and SEGA knew, they needed to take a step back, and make something everyone can enjoy, without going too far into new territory, while also renovating Sonic into a more modern platform. This was the transition into essentially 2010's Sonic, where the big emphasis was speed. Unlike Adventure where speed was one of the many components into the character and the stage, in Unleashed it was the primarily focus, so much so that everything else was reduced to a mere background element. If you've played Unleashed, especially the Daytime levels (The night-time stages can be forgotten about, nobody likes them lol), you go at such lightning speed it almost gives you a headache, and personally for me, i love it. It's like riding your favourite rollercoaster over and over. It's soo much fun, especially when you blaze along with the background. 

Personally as well, i also argue it contains the most beautiful graphics to ever grace a video game. Like i'm not lying too, the only other game that i think is on par is Halo: Reach. The graphics are outstanding, even for a cartoony game, the environments are gorgeous.

And how about the music? That's what were here for right? Well it's also one of the top tier soundtracks, and yes i would consider it to be one of my top 20 best soundtracks in a video game. You probably think i'm a Sonic fanboy right? I am a fan, but nowhere near a fanboy. I only resonate with this game a lot, because i've played it, and for an extremely long period of time too. I just had so much fun with it, but seriously the music is no joke. Very professionally produced, yet has such a very cool fusion of genres. It takes essentially the cultures of each location it represents, and the music it predominately plays, combines it with heavy electronica elements (Mainly Drum and Bass), as well as rocking guitars. It's like a Rock Band went on a trip to a country, met an EDM DJ there, and collaborated with the local Orchestra playing music of the country. It's such a really good soundtrack (And also quite long and varied, since it has a lot of cutscene music. 4 hours is roughly the exact runtime of the whole album).

Dragon Road in particular (The location is Chun-Nan which represents China, but the stage name is Dragon Road), follows in the same descriptors. Thumping DnB beats blast through at 185bpm, while jazzy piano chords sit on top. Synthy basslines really emphasise the dance music parts, while traditional Chinese instruments provide the cultural accuracy of the location. Instruments including an Erhu, and a traditional Chinese Drum, specifically in the intro. All in all, awesome stuff, i hope you have fun with this (Lots of awesome ideas to be had here)

Note: This is the daytime version i'm doing. Not the hub worlds, or the Warehog stage. Just thought i'd get that out there.

GAME: Sonic Unleashed (Xbox360)

Source: Dragon Road (Daytime)

Here's the video:

And usual my own custom MIDI:

https://www.vgmusic.com/file/1b69875ce356f06140b61b70e71f9e50.html#disqus_thread

Source: Sonic Unleashed (Xbox) - Dragon Road (Daytime)

https://www.vgmusic.com/file/1b69875ce356f06140b61b70e71f9e50.html#disqus_thread

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonic_Unleashed

https://compo.thasauce.net/rounds/view/PRC437

The deadline is Friday 24nd 2021 at 6:59 am ThaSauce time (18:00 UTC, 19:00 GMT), check the link https://compo.thasauce.net/rounds/view/PRC437 for the exact time left. Make sure that the song is uploaded to ThaSauce or that there’s a download link posted in this thread. 

You may enter as many mixes as you like and work with as many people as you like on each mix. You are free to create a second ThaSauce account for that if you use ThaSauce, it's needed to be able to upload a second remix if you use ThaSauce. Of course you can also upload it somewhere else and put a download link in this thread.

Do not make qualitative comments on an entry until the results of the vote have been posted in this thread.

Mixers cannot vote for themselves but if they vote they receive a free first place vote added onto their score.

The winner of this round may select the source for PRC440.

TheVideoGamer can enter with a bonus song and has a double vote.

You can find the full rules list at this page as well.

GOOD LUCK!

PRC Home Page

Edited by Bundeslang

38 minutes ago, Wassup Thunder said:

Dang, I am digging this! Hey, didn't I end up picking a sonic song too around this time last year? 😁 I love this song's energy, maybe I shoulda gotten sonic unleashed after all. This is gonna be fun to mess with!

lol it's seriously a fun game, and this isn't coming from a fanboy!

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome to the voting stage

The mixing stage is over. This round has 2 songs. The following people compete against each other:

Souperion

Wassup Thunder

To vote, do the following:

Visit https://compo.thasauce.net/rounds/view/PRC437 and listen to all the entries

Scroll to the form at the bottom of the screen or click PM.

Fill in the entries from first to third in the ThaSauce form or fill in your top 2. Leave the third box empty.

State a reasoning for it.

Participants are encouraged to vote and leave feedback. They get a 3 point bonus, but they are not allowed to vote for their own track. It doesn't affect the results.

Always look in this thread to find out who's the winner of the round after the voting stage instead of only looking at ThaSauce for the results.

You have until Wednesday December 29th 2021 10:59 AM ThaSauce time (11:00 UTC, 12:00 GMT) to vote.

If you vote by PM make sure that your top 2 is clear. I prefer something like this:

(To)

(Subject)

PRC 437 Vote

(Message):

1: (remixer A )

2: (remixer B )

(reasoning)

PRC438 (the anniversary free round) just started:

It's results time.

Souperion got 2 points and the last place wooden spoon.

And the winner of PRC437 is Wassup Thunder with 3 points.

Wassup Thunder you are the winner. You may pick a source for PRC439 which will have two sources. Send the source to me (with a MID/MP3 file, otherwise send a second source with a MID file) by PM, other options are PM me @ ThaSauce or by e-mailing to bambombim@gmail.com (I prefer a PM @Ocremix). Send your source as fast as you can, but before next Wednesday (12 January 2022), 11:00 AM ThaSauce time (18:00 UTC, 19:00 GMT).

You may select any source from any game, but not a source with an OverClocked remix or a source which has been used in PRC before. An overview of the past PRC's can be found in the following links (I recently updated this site):

http://sites.google.com/site/bambombim/prc

http://bambombim.googlepages.com/PRCRemixList.doc (also downloadable via the link above).

https://compo.thasauce.net/rounds/view/PRC437 for my vote and comments.

PRC438 already started:

Congrats Wassup Thunder! A dam shame i missed this one, this is one of my all time favourite tunes...

Oh well, i'll share my thoughts for each one. This one might give me a fair something to talk about, since i know the tune a lot. From the top.

Wassup Thunder - I assume Dragon Valley was inspired by this stage lol. Nice of you to attempt to incorporate Japanese instruments. Really changes the location, but doesn't loose the feel. Awesome idea to incorporate a guitar into the mix, although the guitar is very weirdly detuned, it's a beautiful way to switch things up, since the original is too reliant on the piano. Also i love how you've managed to add some of your own chords there, they work super well. Amazing strings and flutes, it's very vibrant. There's only 2 problems i feel could be improved upon, and honestly i couldn't really articulate exactly the problems, because the good stuff was outweighing the bad. I will say, the main melody, doesn't get used as much, which is why i love the composition so much, i feel it's too reliant on original material. Second i feel we could break it down in the same way it does with the main melody, at around 2 minutes into the original composition. I also don't feel the sudden switchup at the end (I think you're remixing Dragon Valley here?). It took me out of the flow (Even more jarring when you end on the Dragon Road motif.) I don't know, that was too...left-field for me. The sounds and melodies were lovely, and the idea was amazing, it just needs a few things for me, but other than that, lovely stuff, well done!

Souperion - Man this is soo different, i would have loved to see you work on more on this! The idea is sooo different, i love it. Especially love the chord progression in this, sounds like the original, but it feels like it's been switched up into something new. Loving the eastern instrumentation, plays right into the traditional feel of the composition, instead of the electronic elements. The sounds are lovely, the chords are really something. The melody does get masked personally, the chords seem to be pushing it down. I also feel like more could be added, it's like an intro to the main event, however though the rest was lovely, you did a really awesome job on the arrangement, well done!