Patreon Sales Tax?

Golddess

When Patreon charged sales tax for my OCRemix pledge at the beginning of November, I was confused why a donation to a 501c3 non-profit charitable organization in which I receive nothing in return would be taxable.  I first tried reaching out to them about it, but they said that if it's not taxable y'all would need to adjust your tax settings on Pateron.  So I used the "about -> Contact Us" form here to ask about it, but never heard anything back.  Since my next Patreon bill has now come in, also with sales tax charged, guess I'll try asking about it here now.

If it's correct that sales tax should be charged, then that's fine.  If it's incorrect, I'd appreciate it if y'all could update your Patreon tax settings for bills going forward.  I don't care about trying to fix what's already been charged.

Thank you.

Thank you, I know it wasn't a purposeful decision, this whole thing with Patreon collecting sales tax is relatively new, first starting in I believe 2020, and then expanding to more pledge types more recently.

Though if it had been an option way back in the beginning, it probably would have been correct since back then we were getting something in return (the monthly OCRecords freebie albums). :P