Why not cater to anime remixes too?

Nereid

Because this site is about remixing video game music? ;-)

There are lots of anime remixes out there (Platina Jazz Anime Standards being the best. Fight me), it just isn't as big as video game remixing. I think that's because until probably around 2000 or so, anime was still mostly a Japan thing, as anime didn't start becoming more accessible and mainstream outside of Japan until then. Yes, I know lots of shows were localized around the world like AstroBoy and Saint Seiya, etc, but I'm not really counting those because... they weren't really identifiable as "anime" at the time, and were usually heavily edited and dubbed in the local language. I'm referring to Japanese audio, uncut and unlocalized stuff here..

So you have less exposure and knowledge of anime in general in a global sense, which compounds nicely with less exposure to anime music as well.

Meanwhile, North America and Europe were exposed to video games with actual music in them from the mid 80s and on, and it grew in popularity and appeal, so more and more people were getting more and more of it stuck in their heads.

It's a simple matter of exposure and scale compared to anime music. Then factor in that to organize and maintain a site for discussing, making and hosting all those remixes would require a lot of time money and effort. Think about how many remixes and remixers OCR has to deal with. Not do all that again for another type of remix community. OCRemix has been around for what... 20 years or so now? Feels like 20 years. You would have to do so much work to make an anime version of it, just to eve catch up.

Edited by The Damned

Yeah, The Damned, but I thought a lot of people who played games also watched... some games, like Jeanne D'arc, have anime within...

AnimeRemix says "rewritten to be inline with https://ocremix.org/info/Content_Policy" - does that mean that applies to both sites? Even if it doesn't sound so much like it? It's not like it says on every song, too. And they really only have 104, latest 11 years ago...? I'm guessing it's an archive or such...

Edited by Nereid

I'm personally bummed animeremix didn't catch on, but I did have a lot of fun on the three mixes I did there... that being said, we've got a laser focus on VGM at OCR, to such an extent that we're pedantic enough to not allow the Wii menu music since it's *technically* not a game, but part of the operating system :)

• 7 months later...

I'm planning on relaunching, I've rewritten the front end, backend, and migrated data to a more consistent format.  We also have several songs ready for the launch scheduled in the late summer / early fall.  I'll likely need technical help on the software side, finding such help has been difficult.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/17/2022 at 7:29 PM, Xaleph said:

I'm planning on relaunching, I've rewritten the front end, backend, and migrated data to a more consistent format.  We also have several songs ready for the launch scheduled in the late summer / early fall.  I'll likely need technical help on the software side, finding such help has been difficult.

Got any use for an (admittedly amateur) python dev?

Python is a great gateway language.  We currently use php ( framework is slimphp ) and typescript.  We are looking at changing the backend language eventually when I move the site to AWS.  I’ll reach out to you on discord.

I’m still looking at an August/September relaunch.

Edited by Xaleph

1 hour ago, Xaleph said:

Python is a great gateway language.  We currently use php ( framework is slimphp ) and typescript.  We are looking at changing the backend language eventually when I move the site to AWS.  I’ll reach out to you on discord.

I’m still looking at an August/September relaunch.

I mean, speaking as a professional web developer who's built many applications using Python/Django, it's definitely far beyond a "gateway language." xD

• 1 month later...

Looking at relaunching this in about 3 weeks (less depending on technology decisions and if I can finish this one song).  We'll be hosting a compo as well during the relaunch.  If anyone has any anime or cartoon remixes they're sitting on or if they want to throw something together in the next 2-3 weeks, submit them soon so we can put them up on the site.  I'll be on our discord if you want to reach out (https://discord.gg/NSWpWmfqxq).