Contact Information
ReMixer Name : HotSonLeo
Email Address : 
Userid : 37520

Submission Information
[Game Title] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
[Arrangement Title] The Village Bobino
[Song Title] Hateno Village

I believe this song is already in your database.
Please do not make my real name publicly available.
I'll go by HotSonLeo.

After struggling for weeks to play the Hateno Village theme on piano, I entered the sheet music into a piano roll, slowed it down to roughly half speed, changed all the sounds, filled in the gaps, and a new arrangement was born. Creating this arrangement was more fun than attempting to play the original on piano. This is the first song I've ever released.

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

• 1 month later...

Yeah, it's weird as heck.  I'm only hearing overt source, for a few seconds at a time at 1:36-2:27.  I'm hearing more that sounds like it might be vaguely inspired by Hateno Village, but it's generally unrecognizable.

I'm also not a huge fan of the abrupt tempo and key changes.  They make the arrangement sound terribly disjointed and aimless.

I appreciate what went into this, but I just think it's too hard to hear the connections.  If I heard this in any other context, I wouldn't imagine it was based on Hateno Village, and I'm very familiar with the song (my daughter spent hours puttering around the town, and not doing much else).

NO

• MindWanderer changed the title to 2021/07/05 - (1N) Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild "The Village Bobino"
  • 2 weeks later...

wow, that's...different.

the initial bleeps are an inversion of the marimba part. the swells after it are the string tremelos. 1:15 is an expansion of 0:30ish's bagpipes in the original with the final high note of the first phrase inverted. again, i think, this is a stretch tbh. 1:36 uses that same melodic content pretty clearly for a while. the gliss chords in the background are reminiscent of the bagpipes playing the melody in the original. 2:30ish sounds like an inversion again but it's tenuous at best. the subsequent fm-like blurbs are melodic content from the violin. the chords behind it are around 1:20 onward in the original. so there's quite a bit of source, but it's often academic.

regarding the sudden tempo changes, there are a lot of examples in pop and especially indie styles that feature lots of time changes. the #1 example is always bohemian rhapsody, with another example being SOTD's toxicity off the top of my head. i listen to too much prog to really think that the time changes were even notable tbh. should they be there? that's another question, but their existence wasn't troublesome.

so i need to look at it as a whole. from a mastering perspective, the bass is way too loud, although admittedly i liked the heavily filtered approach and how fat it was. the track doesn't sound bad per-se, either - really just toning down the bass would make a world of difference there. from an arrangement perspective, though, i do feel this has enough to qualify it for judging, so i'd be looking at overall cohesiveness, instrumentation, and direction.

this is where it fails ultimately. looking at instrumentation, there's a bass, drum machine, sweep, a few lead synths, and not much else. each section, as they are, sound pretty hollow since there's few pads being used to flesh it out. in fact, the few times that there IS a pad chording some body to the track is where it sounds the best, like the last minute or so. there's also very little variance in those synths being used, so they get boring pretty quickly. in terms of direction and cohesiveness - there really isn't any. the track doesn't have a shape. there's no real intro, no real prep for the ending before it happens, no highs and lows. without anything for the ear to grab onto, it goes into forgettable territory too quickly.

conceptually, i like the approach you've demonstrated here. i love the academic approach to interpreting the original, and while i understand that our arrangements need to demonstrate a dominant usage of source material that is identifiable, i'm perfectly fine with that identification being done with a pencil and paper vs. my ears. that's the case here. the architecture of the work around that interpretation is where you've slipped, and that'll require some more significant rework to rebuild. ultimately this is a cool idea but doesn't demonstrate enough in the execution to pass the bar, nor is it particularly close in the current state.

NO

• prophetik music changed the title to 2021/07/05 - (2N) Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild "The Village Bobino"
  • 2 weeks later...

I like the instrumentation palette here, but I have almost 1,000 hours into BotW and I can not hear ANY Hateno in this arrangement.  I'm open to being proven wrong if someone wants to do an extensive timestamp, but as it stands, I cannot even conceptualize Hateno while listening to this arrangement.  (This may be one of those occasions where Larry comes in and says "I hear it, you guys are crazy!" and I'll gladly eat my words if that happens.) I have no problem with the mixing or production with what's here, but the lack of source connection is a dealbreaker.  This is my opinion and not OCR canon, but I feel that if the listener has to reach that hard to recognize the source tune, or follow a detailed timestamp in order to recognize the source tune, then the remix isn't really capturing the original well enough to be an OC ReMix.

NO

• Chimpazilla changed the title to 2021/07/05 - (3N) Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild "The Village Bobino"
  • Liontamer changed the title to *NO* Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild "The Village Bobino"