*NO* Dragon Warrior 3 "Rest and Relaxation"

Emunator

Hello. This is Audiomancer, and the name of this remix is Rest and Relaxation. It's a remix of the village theme from Dragon Warrior 3. This was made completely on my phone with Caustic 3 and Caustic mastering. I feel like being forced to use the simplified instruments in Caustic has really helped me learn, and hopefully someday when family life and overtime let up, I can apply what I have learned to a full DAW;)

Remix is attached, original is below. Thanks for your consideration!

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

• 1 month later...

I'm glad you're keeping your hand in, and I'm glad Caustic is seeing some love.  It can be a worthy DAW if you use it to its fullest.  Unfortunately, I don't think this submission does that.

There are a few leads used, but most of them are saws of various types.  A lot of the accompanying synths are saws, too.  Altogether it's a single-note soundscape for much of its length.

It's also quite loud overall.  You're smashed up against almost +1dB almost the whole time.  It should be a little quieter, but more importantly, there are hardly any dynamics, so it's fatiguing.

Arrangement-wise, there's a lot of riffing right out of the gate.  Then later in the mix, when you return to the theme, you play it more conservatively.  The utility of riffing is to subvert expectations and keep an arrangement from getting stale.  With an OC ReMix in particular, you don't want to open with it.  It's complicated to begin with, boring to end with, and confusing overall.

There are some interesting ideas here: you do switch up the synths frequently, there's some interesting automation, and the general structure is fine.  It's a solid foundation.  Keep at it!

NO

• MindWanderer changed the title to 2021/07/11 - (1N) Dragon Warrior 3 "Rest and Relaxation"
  • 2 weeks later...

this theme always made me laugh with how perky it is.

i agree with MW that there's a lot of generic synths being used. i like the scoopy bass, though, and the track does feel a lot like the original's peppy personality. i liked the big personality shift at 1:00 as well, getting into the minor vibe for the entire middle section. there's a recap that's pretty square and then it ends.

i like a lot of the automation to keep the synths interesting, and i like the middle part a lot. i actually don't mind the arrangement at all - i think it's fine albeit not stellar or adding a ton of newness to the theme. i do think it sounds generic and loud. your caustic tracks all have very loud leads which is possibly a side effect of whatever headset you're using to make them. 

some ideas that would help the track get over the bar for me would be to give it some dynamics besides the obvious transition points, mix up the synths further so they're not all sounding very similar, and tone back the compression that's making it so loud. some more verve in the arrangement would help as well.

i think i'm closer on this one than MW, but it's too 2004 to make it right now.

NO

• prophetik music changed the title to 2021/07/11 - (2N) Dragon Warrior 3 "Rest and Relaxation"
  • 2 months later...

Wow, that's an abrupt start, right to maximum volume and energy, instantly!  I'm not sure that's optimal, rather, it's shocking.  So, this was done on an app on a phone?  For that, I'd say this is rather good (but I've never heard of Caustic and I'm sure it does more than I suspect).  I think my fellow J's summarized the issues well.  The limitations of the software leave the timbres sounding very dated, and the mixing is almost non-existent.  Everything is overlapping in frequency making the soundscape very cluttered, and many of the timbres are super similar.  The master is quite loud and almost pumpy.  I also agree with MW that the riffing is cool but would be better utilized if it appears in the second half of the mix, after the theme has been established in a more simple way, otherwise it sounds out of place.  The arrangement isn't all that bad, otherwise.  I just think the production needs a pretty major overhaul.  I'd love to hear this again, produced on a proper DAW!

NO

• Liontamer changed the title to *NO* Dragon Warrior 3 "Rest and Relaxation"