Emunator

• Your ReMixer name: Lucas Guimaraes
  • Your real name: Lucas Guimaraes
  • Your email address: 

• Name of game(s) arranged: Star Fox 64
  • Name of arrangement: Distant Region
  • Name of individual song(s) arranged: Area 6

Feat. ad.mixx, Sean Schafianski, DS Music

This track was originally intended for the Star Fox 64 album. I took up Area 6 as it was the only song that hadn't been claimed that I jived with. The result was painfully figuring out how to arrange better, with arrangements that were so bad during the process that they were listened to for... less than 30 seconds. Needless to say, they sounded nothing like this one. I finally settled on Lo-Fi Hip-Hop after being inspired by a lot of Lo-Fi Hip-Hop remixes. I didn't have a direct idea of how I Wanted to produce this, though, as my production fell flat. ad.mixx came in and gave this remix so, so much life that these performances desperately needed. Lo-fi hip hop is fun to do, and I'll definitely revisit the genre when my self-production skills improve. Beyond that, this was my first track from Star Fox 64, and I'm glad to do it justice.

-Lucas Guimaraes

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

• 1 month later...

love me some SF64.

opening piano is pretty obviously fakey - essentially no pianist is using one finger on each hand for something like that. once the chords come in, though, it feels pretty chill and has a nice initial vibe. there's some crunchy notes at 0:37 (the combination of the third in the bass and the b7 in the melody sounds weird because it's a tritone), and there is obvious and continual clipping from roughly where the sax comes in onward for some time - every time the sax bops, it's clipping there by about 0.5db. the saxophone is playing some fun stuff but sounds like it's been recorded on a phone camera - there's just no high end to the tone.

the sustained bass section with the piano doing its thing is nice, but the bass feels oppressively loud and super static quickly. the chorus effects on the higher lines for the sax sound neat (like around 1:37), but if anything they emphasize the low-poly recording. after that, there's a recap and then a sudden ending with nothing besides the sax...and 45 seconds of silence...?

this is pretty far below the bar still, unfortunately. from an arrangement standpoint, i think what you're doing is fine, but it feels like a demo. there's little going on besides a piano and bass in the background, and while it's got some fun ideas with the style, there really needs to be some filler in there. sustained pads or some synth work would do wonders to make it not feel so empty and to draw away from the lower-quality recording of the sax. the beginning is too rudimentary and the ending is strange, too. even a cymbal ride let to ring behind the sax would help. on the mastering side, there's a ton of clipping, and the sax's micing makes it feel very blah with no body.

i think some workshopping would really help this one a lot.

NO

• prophetik music changed the title to 2021/07/11 - (1N) Star Fox 64 "Distant Region"

Unfortunately, I can't argue with any of that.  The sax recording is really poor, with a background crackle that's impossible to ignore; that alone would be enough to send this back.  There's a buzz to the triangle pad as well.  The sax-led sections are copy-pasted.  The ending comes almost out of nowhere, and yeah, I count 52 seconds of silence at the end.

I don't think the arrangement is all that bad, although I can't comment on the piano in as much detail as proph.  But it does feel underdeveloped, and the production has some pretty fundamental issues.

NO

• MindWanderer changed the title to 2021/07/11 - (2N) Star Fox 64 "Distant Region"
  • 2 months later...

Very cool idea to take an energetic battle theme and chill it right out. Great job on that! It does feel unfinished though, both from an arrangement and production perspective.

The clipping sound is a big issue that needs addressing - have you added some sort of distortion or bitcrushing to the piano/sax? Or is it just clipping I'm hearing? Either way, Lofi stuff should have a nice, warm, vinyl-like crackle to it. Try experimenting with some other production methods to achieve that warmth, and avoid pushing the levels of your instruments too hard in the process. Lofi mixes should also sound clean and intentional, too - here's a great example of a benchmark track I like to use when listening to Lofi:

Notice how the background crackle doesn't detract from the clarity of the instrumentation.

Arrangement-wise, I'm not sold on that intro at all. The first 10 seconds could be cut, or certainly reworked to sound less dry. The café ambiance that comes in halfway through seems like an odd place to introduce such an effect. You could definitely use that in the intro to set the scene, and call back to it in the middle and end as a break and outro.

Definitely a lot of good ideas here, keep working on the execution!

NO

• DarkSim changed the title to 2021/07/11 - (3N) Star Fox 64 "Distant Region"
  • Liontamer changed the title to *NO* Star Fox 64 "Distant Region"