*NO* Octopath Traveler "Destiny's Final Breath"

Emunator

Hi, I'm Torby Brand. This is my OCR submission for an Octopath Traveler remix.

Track Artists:

Arr., Keys: Torby Brand

Arr., VST: Tremendouz

Drums, Guitars: jmabate

Submission information:

Track name: Destiny's Final Breath
Source Game: Octopath Traveler
Source Track: Battle at Journey's End

Track link: 

Comments:

"I'm happy to present this Octopath Traveler arrangement that I was able to put together for "Echoes of Eight", a Pixel Mixers tribute album. The soundtrack has stuck with me ever since I finished the game, and although the game has its grindy and slow parts to it, I couldn't deny the pure, raw power of Yasunori Nishiki's compositions. Especially in the battle themes! And so, I was ecstatic to be handed this theme for the tribute album.

I am a pianist at heart, but occasionally I am able to enlist the help of friends such as Tremendouz, who excels at throwing together different instruments into a mix and making it work! Not to mention, he has his foot into the metal genre, that of which I wanted to dip into for this arrangement. We wanted to retain some of the orchestral vibes while adding more energy to it, that's why the bpm is higher as well. There's keys, violins, flutes, and electric guitars all working together for different lead parts. We already had a pleasing arrangement going, but jmabate stepping in to handle the drums and guitars elevated the mix to the next level in my opinion, with the guitar solo being the cherry on top!

I feel we managed to capture the energy of the fated battles where this theme plays in a new fashion. But what I know for sure is that I've managed to pour my passion for the game and the soundtrack into one track, with my friends' help along the way ;) "

Best,
-Torby

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

I can definitely feel your love for this track.  It's a killer cover.

However, it's little more than a cover.  There are some switch-ups in what instruments are playing which parts, but overall the structure isn't substantially different from the original.

More importantly, this needs another pass on the production front.  It's heavily filtered throughout, and also arranged to be extremely mid-heavy.  There are no highs or lows to speak of at all.  Not only are almost all the parts written for the very center of the frequency spectrum, the parts that should still have highs and lows, like the cymbals, kick, and bass, have had all those frequencies stripped out.

It's such an excellent performance and reinstrumentation that I'd waffle on passing this on an arrangement front, but not on the production front.  Please give this another go and send it back to us!

NO (resubmit)

• MindWanderer changed the title to 2021/07/13 - (1N) Octopath Traveler "Destiny's Final Breath"
  • 4 weeks later...

i agree that this is a cover. the performance is fun and exciting, but there's little melodically that's new and different or re-arranged. some sick drum work though! the keys at 1:35 are super robotic and lacking any sense of velocitization, which is noticeable. there's also basically not a break of the strings/keys playing the melody for most of the track outside the pretty sick guitar lead near the end, which gets tiresome quickly. ultimately the lead work in the guitar might be enough for me to squeak it by on arrangement, but it falls too short on production.

agree with MW on production for sure. there's nothing below 70hz and nothing really above about 2k either. it's remarkable actually how little highs there are when it still sounds pretty good. i wish there was more attention on the rhythm guitars, too - it just sounds like a single take and isn't layered from what i can hear, so it's pretty thin.

i think that it's a fun track to listen to but doesn't meet our arrangement guidelines. it'd be a sick DoD track though 😃 Cleaning up the EQing so it has, like, any lows or highs will be a big help. stretching more on the arrangement would help a lot too in terms of meeting our guidelines.

NO

• prophetik music changed the title to 2021/07/13 - (2N) Octopath Traveler "Destiny's Final Breath"

I played Octopath last year, it was enjoyable but the music really helped this game a lot, definitely a highlight.

The arrangement feels... or rather, is very close to the original even if your version leans quite a bit more into the rock elements.  Don't get me wrong I'm not saying there isn't anything new here, I just don't think it's enough to feel like it's your own interpretation.  The arrangement itself stays super close to the original even in structure up until the second section where things diverge but only slightly, overall it continues to follow the same beats.

I would like to point out the mixing on this as well, since there's a void of highs in this which is apparent on listening, but I also went to my DAW and confirmed it visually.  Not sure why but there's a high-end rolloff at 8khz that's eating a lot of brightness out of the mix, almost as if a 12dB lp filter was applied on the entirety of the mix at that point.  I am no expert at mixing rock songs, but doing some A/B against some of the similar remixes we have on the site and it shows a pretty noticeable difference. It's surprising that the mix isn't overly muddy due to this, and most of the layers are relatively clean but there's still some boominess casued due to the instruments being funneled into the mids.

In a vaccum this isn't bad at all.  Just not for OCR.

NO

• Sir_NutS changed the title to 2021/07/13 - (3N) Octopath Traveler "Destiny's Final Breath"
  • Liontamer changed the title to *NO* Octopath Traveler "Destiny's Final Breath"