Marcus Lagré

Your email address

Name of game(s) arranged
Ghosts 'n Goblins

Name of arrangement
Ghosts 'n Thrillers

Name of individual song(s) arranged
Ghosts 'n Goblins Theme

Additional information about game including composer, system, etc. (if it has not yet been added to the site)
Composer: Mark Cooksey
System: Commodore 64
This remix is based on the Commodore 64 version of the game, which has different music from the original arcade version.

Your own comments about the mix, for example the inspiration behind it, how it was made, etc.
The idea for this came about when I was trying to recreate the sound of Michael Jackson's Thriller. To my surprise, I succeeded to get pretty close to the original sound, so I wanted to use my newly created sound template for something more. Ghosts 'n Goblins has a pretty nice Thriller feel to it, so I set out to try and merge the two songs. After creating the first massive brass chords, I knew I was on to something! 

I also realized that I would have to sing on it.

Now, trying to sing like Michael Jackson is a pretty tall order. Quite impossible, in fact. So I decided to try and sing in Michael Jackson'ish manner, without going all in MJ-ah-hee-hee! You know?

I think I managed to pull it off without losing face completely.

I hope you enjoy it!

Lyrics:
It's close to midnight
And Astaroth is lurking in the dark
Under the moonlight
Bats and ogres want to tear you apart

On computer screens
Goblins try to catch you before you make it
If you even sneeze
Something's gonna hit you between the eyes

Cuz ghosts 'n goblins, in the night
Are trying to stop you from reaching the top
Ghosts 'n Goblins is
Tricky stuff

You see the scroll freeze
And realize there is nowhere left to run
You feel the cold hand
And wonder if this level will ever be done

Wide open eyes
Yet you just never seem to catch them all
And all the while
There is creatures creeping up from behind

Cuz ghosts 'n goblins, in the night
Are trying to stop you from reaching the top
Ghosts 'n Goblins is
Tricky stuff

Link to the original soundtrack (if it is not one of the sound archives already available on the site)
Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

Originally had this one pegged for a direct post because it is quite obviously badass and well-produced, but in addition to the production being an obvious homage to Michael Jackson's Thriller, I'm also concerned about the more explicit melodic callbacks to that song. Looking for second opinions on whether or not the usage of Thriller's melodies in the chorus is too extensive to be considered for OCR.

• 2 months later...

Yeah, that's a rough call.  The problem is, it's not just the chorus.  The bass is also Thriller's, and it's playing all the time.  The notes of the melody are from Ghosts 'n' Goblins, but the rhythm of them is from Thriller.

It's very clever, the singing is great---not MJ but credibly done in his style---and the production is superb, but it's far too close to Thriller.  Only the bridge is a clear and obvious departure, and even that keeps the Thriller bass.

I wish we could post this.  I really do.  But our standards say, "Any incorporation or arrangement of source material not from games (mainstream, classical, etc.) should be extremely limited" and that's just not true here.

Regretfully, NO

• MindWanderer changed the title to 2021/08/09 - (1N) Ghosts 'n Goblins "Ghosts 'n Thrillers"
4 hours ago, MindWanderer said:

Yeah, that's a rough call.  The problem is, it's not just the chorus.  The bass is also Thriller's, and it's playing all the time.  The notes of the melody are from Ghosts 'n' Goblins, but the rhythm of them is from Thriller.

It's very clever, the singing is great---not MJ but credibly done in his style---and the production is superb, but it's far too close to Thriller.  Only the bridge is a clear and obvious departure, and even that keeps the Thriller bass.

I wish we could post this.  I really do.  But our standards say, "Any incorporation or arrangement of source material not from games (mainstream, classical, etc.) should be extremely limited" and that's just not true here.

Regretfully, NO

Yeah, this is much more a Thriller arrangement/cover than being a soundalike, and it's also at the expense of referencing the GnG source. Loved when things focused more heaily on GnG from 2:19-on. I enjoy it in a vacuum, but it's still too referential to Thriller for our guidelines, so MindWanderer's quotation of the Standards is accurately applied here.

NO Override

• Liontamer changed the title to *NO* Ghosts 'n Goblins "Ghosts 'n Thrillers"
  • Liontamer changed the title to *NO* Ghosts'n Goblins "Ghosts'n Thrillers"