*NO* Persona 4 "I Like (Your Affection)"

Emunator

Note: When asked about the extent of the sampling on this arrangement, the artist had this to say. Keep this in mind when voting - 

"Everything but the vocals were recreated from scratch. The melodic parts were recreated with VSTs and synths and the drum patterns were made from royalty-free samples. The vocals were extracted using an online isolation software."

Hello,
I would like to submit my remix of "Your Affection" from Persona 4.

Remix Link:

The video is split into the remix with vocals and its instrumental. It is the full vocal track I would like to submit.

Contact Information
Remixer Name: George Shepherd
Email Address: 

Submission Information
Game: Persona 4
Arrangement Name: "I Like (Your Affection)"
Song Being Arranged: "Your Affection"
Original Composer: Shoji Meguro

Source: 
Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

• 3 months later...

This does an impressive job of using only the original samples and creating a new arrangement that closely apes the style of the source tune.  It sounds great and is fun to listen to.

Unfortunately, it's entirely too successful at its mimicry.  Since the genre is the same, and the vocals are lifted straight from the source, this comes across as being minimally transformative.  There are certainly structural changes, and overall this is a notably more complex take on the original (which is only 1:21 long---but see below), but it's still not a ton.

As for the length, at the 1:32 mark, the track loops again from the beginning.  It starts off a little different, but 1:41 begins what sounds like a carbon copy of 1:17, and from there it stays exactly the same until it fades out.  The track is over 50% copypasta, and that's not the kind of arrangement we look for.

As a sidenote, I'm not sure exactly what our agreement with Square Enix is, but the PS2 version was distributed by them in Europe.  They're not the developer and presumably don't have any copyright over the samples used, but I want to make sure that this won't run afoul of them.

NO

Edited by MindWanderer

• MindWanderer changed the title to 2021/07/22 - (1N) Persona 4 "I Like (Your Affection)"
  • 2 months later...
  • DarkSim changed the title to 2021/07/22 - (2N) Persona 4 "I Like (Your Affection)"

I do love the early 90s feel added to this arrangement, the brass hits and scratching fit the vibe perfectly.  Other than this though, as my fellow Js have stated, you did too good a job recreating the track almost entirely.  The arrangement is much too conservative for OCR standards, although the production is very good (mastering could be louder).  I would actually love to hear this again, remade into a proper remix with some writing variation, instrumentation variation, drum pattern variation, arrangement variation (a short original B section, a proper drumless breakdown, drop the vocals at some point and introduce leadwork, short solos, etc.), maybe do some glitch work on those vocals for a few bars, add some ear candy here and there, proper ending instead of fadeout.  There are so many fun things that could be done to set this apart from the original and have a very enjoyable remix!

NO

Edited by Chimpazilla

• Chimpazilla changed the title to 2021/07/22 - (3N) Persona 4 "I Like (Your Affection)"
  • Liontamer changed the title to *NO* Persona 4 "I Like (Your Affection)"