OCR00102 - Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening "Tail Cave (Beatdown Mix)"

Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening 'Tail Cave (Beatdown Mix)'

Peeples' songs are always top notch, and this is no exception, despite being one of his earlier works. The song starts with a right panned clavi and some strings, and a left panned piano, playing the main melody. Suddenly the hard pounding drums enter, catching you by surprise. The drums while a little distorted are still most excellent, although Scott could have perhaps taken a little more time and care at perfecting their level. A Peeples trade-mark analogue like synth appreggo accompanies the drums along with a low profile bass, adding to the groove. The song changes abruptly several times between the light instrumental parts and the pounding groove, which increases interest. Sadly, Scott does not try to go too far with this one, keeping mainly to these two patterns and not adding much variation. It's all good though, and at 3:40, it doesn't get boring. A good listen that does the original Game Boy tune proud.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

what i like most about this remix, is the way it captures the LEGEND OF ZELDA DUNGEON FEEL . the song starts and i'm thinkin' whoa! i'm in the tail cave all over again!

download it and you'll see what i mean.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
:P Man this totally kicks ass, not to put too finer point on it. Love the extreme bassline as well as the timing with the transitions from slow to fast beat. Everything about this is damn good and as Mad_Bastard said, this does capture the feeling of the dungeon. Top draw music from one of my fave ReMixer's.

• 5 months later...

Ahhh...music. Good music. Great music. Ah fuck it. One of the greatest ReMixes of all time. Even for Scotts first ReMix, it still kicks ass. One of Scotts greatest hits of all time. Like DjP said. turn down your subwoofer or you may be blow into the wall.

P.S. for anyone that cares (which im guessing no one does) this was the remix that got me hooked. (see G.D. post 'Addiction')

• 1 month later...

Wow...that's about the only thing I could think when I first heard this mix. This is my favorite Link's Awakening mix...:-)

...and if you're listening to this on headphones, make sure you turn them down before that drum loop come in unless you wanna get a major earache...but this is still an awesome piece. VERY highly recommended.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Very great remix. Really great ideas, but the distorted sound of the mix sounds more like a digital track peaking out than a song with purposely distorted drums. Otherwise, I think it is awesome, and I seem to be the only one who thinks the track sounds like digital distortion rather than overdrive distortion, but who am I to judge what form of purposely "distorting" a piece of music sounds better, right?

• 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I think that Scott outdid himself with this one. I've listened to a few of his remixes and they were good. But this one... this one gave me goosebumps. Congratulations man!

At first when I started it up, the song was... totally Gameboy. I didn't see any real difference from the original and I was really disappointed, but, I should know by now not to ever judge something by the first however many seconds, or however many paragraphs, or however many verses... As soon as the piano came in, I started feeling a little bit better about the song. But... at 00:01:04, I think that my jaw must have broken through the Earth's crust, mantle, and core, shot through the other side and knocked out some poor guy in China.

You used an impressive drop there man... I never would have expected something like that, slow, and mediocre, like just about any dungeon music from any Zelda game, to turn Drum and Bass... Congratulations on a FLAWLESS transition. I hope to hear something more from you in the future along these lines (possibly a remix of the original Zelda's dungeon music?). I bow to you tonight, Scott. Keep up the excellent work, man.

(List of expressions during the song...)

-------------

00:00:01 - 00:00:41 :? (wow... this is... yeah... ahem...)

00:00:42 - 00:01:03 :o (that's nice...!)

00:01:04 - 00:03:40 8O (HOLY CHRIST!!! ROCK ON DUDE!)

-------------

(end list)

• 7 months later...

Man, I really want to complain. But, I just can't. It's not really d&b, though... more like breaks/bigbeat. Lemme listen again real quick...

I would have used different instrumentation; that's about it. It's a pretty rockin' remix, really. Maybe EQ some things some more. Nice work, Scott.

• 10 months later...

The opening's just the original, but then in the re-mix, the melody starts on the first beat, instead of the 2nd 8th note. Really caught me off guard.

The Tail Cave is one of my favorite tracks in the game. A lot of the rest of the sound track is just variation on this one theme. And the Tail Cave itself is just a take of the Wind Fish Ballad in minor! The original composer(s) for the game really went balls to the wall on it!

• 5 months later...

I like a lot of the ideas Scott's got going here, especially for an early mix on the site. What really detracts from the song for me, though, is the distortion in the mix when the drums come in, especially with the kick. It sounds like it's either digital clipping or it's been slammed hard against a limiter. Anyway, it's not enough to keep this song off my playlist though, still good stuff.

• 4 weeks later...

Oh... My... God...

This is the reason I come to OCRemix.org

Not only is this from my favorite game, but as the song continues to grow on me, it slowly rises to the top of my list. I have never really enjoyed the Dungeon music all that much, but I'm loving it now. Good Show! 11/10 (Ain't I crafty? *snicker*)

• 1 month later...

I originally downloaded this in May '03 and immediately panned it out of my keeper playlist (I hadn't gotten past the intro), but realized my mistake a couple months later when it popped up on random when I wasn't paying attention. This song has been near the top of my all time favorites since then.

Well, it's been a hell of a long time since I last listened to it, so I decided to give it another play tonight to see if it's still got the magic, and holy shit, did it deliver in spades. This is one of THE staple OCR's that should be in EVERY OCRite's playlist. It's just that damn good.

• 11 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Truthfully, when I first listened to this I didn't really much care for it, but now it's growing on me.

The first half comes on too strong and could potentially frighten innocent bystanders, and that's what initially turned me off to this mix.

Like I said, the more I listen to this the more I like it and here some really interesting things in this mix like the piano and certain snippets of the mix that sound familiar and give me a feeling in the back of my mind that I should recognize them.

• 1 month later...

The mix starts out really weak, but I figured i'd listen all the way through, just to be fair, and i'm glad I did. Though the percussion is excessively loud and sounds to be clipping, the beat is hot, and the track works pretty well.

What could use a little work is some humanization on the piano, harpsichord, and the contrapuntal synth. Not enough to kill the mix by any means, but it does make it sound a little dated.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR00102 - Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening "Tail Cave (Beatdown Mix)"