MnP 130: End of 2021, Start of 2022, Free Round.

TheVideoGamer

5 day's ago we just said our final goodbyes to the hectic year of 2021, and welcomed with open arms, 2022. To kick off the year, as a formal celebration, we are going to have a no holds back free round!

This means nothing is off limits. 

• Want to remix a video game source you like? Go ahead!
  • Want to dabble in a soundtrack that's just been released this year? Have at ya!
  • Want to make an original tune? Why not, it's all up to you.
  • Remixes of your favourite artist/song? Yep.
  • Come up with your own OST? Yep.
  • Mashups? Yep.
  • EP's and Concept albums? As long as it's not 2 hours long lol, more power to you! 
  • MIDI Rips? Of course! Nothing is off-limits!
  • You can even do more than one entry (See conditions below).

And these are just examples!

The only conditions (Mainly in regards to submission) that apply are as follows:

• More than one entry is allowed, but you can only have up to 3 max.
  • If your going to do an OST or EP (Or any extremely lengthy tune), then you can only submit one entry.
  • The free round in PRC bares no relation to the Free Round here. Please don't submit any duplicates from that round.
  • None of the rules in regards to source selection apply here, since it's a free round, however the standard uploading rules for ThaSauce (20mb size, MP3 etc...) remain as normal.

And that's it really. Like i said, there is no limitations for creativity, it's whatever you feel is best for submitting. Good luck and have fun! I'm here if you have and questions.

The winner of this round will join the winner of the last round in a Double Dose for MnP Round 131. Hope you have fun!

Tip: If your doing a VGM remix, it would be advised for you to write down the game and source in the description, so people can understand, what's been remixed.

Deadline: 2nd February @ 1PM

Closing Date: 4th February@ 1PM

Vote Ends: 11th February @ 1PM

MnP ARCHIVE  made by Trism ;)

submit: https://compo.thasauce.net/rounds/view/MnP130

MISSION STATEMENT
The goal of Compo:MnP is to promote that "meat and potatoes" conservative approach to remixing: this includes the mood and composition of source tunes. It is up to the remixer to create their own personalization, or to simply give it a sound upgrade. Moreover, the compo is a great opportunity to hone your remixing skills and give video game music the respect that is due. SOME reinterpretation is recommended, but not required.

MnP Instructions/Guidelines - Not applicable this round, but will be in normal/future rounds.

Guidelines:

1. Modifying the Source is fine, so long as it doesn't sound completely separate from its original intent. 
  2. If you're gonna do a genre change, at least make sure the original aspect of the source is not lost.
  3. Tempo changes are fine, as long as it's not a big change. I'm talking like, going from 80bpm to 140bpm. 
  4. Submissions must be at a maximum of 20mb (keeping in step with ThaSauce's file size max), and submitted as a MP3 file.
  5. Only 1 entry per participant. Previous winner cannot participate but can submit a BONUS entry. 
  6. Try to avoid making quality-based comments on submissions until after the Round is concluded.  It is to avoid a Bias in Votes.
  7. For this round you can remix more than one source. Do make sure you let me know which source(s) you've picked in the submission notes.

MISC/TIPS
- When picking a source tune, make sure it has a MIDI to make people's lives easier.
- In-game sound FX are permitted, so long as they don't comprise the whole track (i.e. replacing entire MIDI tracks with just sfx)

Edited by TheVideoGamer

TheVideoGamer, do we allow people to enter a song for both PRC and MnP?

Since both are free rounds with not much limits the guideliness do not let it not allow at the moment. But I don't think it's good to allow it. Since the PRC free round ends earlier this problem is not for PRC but more for MnP so perhaps it's good to not allow people to submit songs which are also submitted in the current PRC.

On 1/7/2022 at 1:55 PM, Bundeslang said:

TheVideoGamer, do we allow people to enter a song for both PRC and MnP?

Since both are free rounds with not much limits the guideliness do not let it not allow at the moment. But I don't think it's good to allow it. Since the PRC free round ends earlier this problem is not for PRC but more for MnP so perhaps it's good to not allow people to submit songs which are also submitted in the current PRC.

I didn't think this would come up as an issue, because i assumed it would be common sense not to reupload the same composition. But if that is the case, i'll make sure to highlight it in the page. None of this is meant to be conflict of interest by the way, despite both compo's having similar goals for each free round, they are each different.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll be joining in! One will be a MnP mix like usual. One will be a pure midi mock up—no changes. When I say no changes I mean no changes. No adding anything to help the sound. Just take what you got and try and make it sound as good as possible! Need to find a really nice midi but I have a few ideas. I don't think I'll have a third entry but if I do it'll be an original song. Hope I can get two in! Maybe three if I'm lucky haha 

Submitted and accidentally deleted the project file when I was getting rid of my FLP Score files since I used 2 midis**.  Kinda poetic when you consider the source tune.  C'est la vie.  This'll be one helluva round by the looks of things.  Good luck everybody!  :tomatoface::nicework:

Edited by HoboKa

On 1/27/2022 at 3:37 PM, HarlemHeat360 said:

Got my first entry in. Original song!

edit: its on my YT channel as well and I'm gonna post it in the original song sub forum for feedback. If you see it there, please don't comment haha.

Er same with me.  May as well share it there now too lmao. 

Voted!!😅

D'oh!!  I forgot to mention someone in my vote.  I'll leave a comment on this thread once the round finishes up.  Didn't want to fudge things up in the Admin side of things, because the back-end is still really un-intuitive for that sorta thing.  Plus @TheVideoGamer would murder me if I messed his round up by accident lol. 

Edit 1

BTW The Voting Stage is up. Don't wanna go around TVG's helmet and make the actual post, but yea, you guys know the drill, get voting!! 🧐

Edit 2

(Reminder: you can't vote for yourself!)

Edited by HoboKa

Well it looks like voting has commenced, before i even got a chance to say something lol. I know you guys are eager, but come on, it's just barely even been a day since the round closed.

Now i am a bit sad to be honest, because i've been trying for ages to get my entry in, and it won't seem to have it. I don't know why, i keep trying to upload, to no avail. It takes me to a blank white screen when i upload, and now that the round is over, i feel sad i can't do it (I was uploading this on the 4th of February), as the round has lapsed. The only option for now is to share it here. I don't think i should sneak it in, because to some it would feel like it's almost....cheating. I wasn't last minuting (Even if i uploaded on the 4th Feb. That's still a 2 day period for late entries), i literally was having problems with uploading. Also do bare in mind, i'm not looking at OCRemix every day. I look at it from time to time, when i'm free but not everyday. Sometimes i also deliberately wait a day later, to account for any late entries, that might have surfaced. Because it can't be voted on, or at least due to unforeseen circumstances, it might have to be marked down as a BONUS ENTRY. Oh well. Anyways time to talk about what i did.

As you may know from the last PRC round, i tried to make a Metroid type soundtrack, but i failed miserably. So it ended up being a fast paced contra type soundtrack. Well the good news is, i managed to pull through and do it this time. It's not exactly Metroid, but i was trying in that mindset. It was more of that kind of game.

I present to you: Bounty Hunters, the Original Soundtrack. This is a game set in industrial and wildlife areas, with the goal to explore, avoid certain enemies, and not fall into any of the traps. At the end is a boss, followed by the final boss at the last stage. It's a futuristic game, with a more "earthy" like atmosphere. I was trying to account for a more realistic musical experience, than a supposedly catchy score, even though i do think there is something to be had here, melodic wise. Think of it as kind of Semi Sci-Fi OST.

I won't tell you much about the plot, because to be honest, i don't like writing these, because it forces me to come up with something generic (And also, it takes a while for me to come up with one), but if i had to tell you one, let's say...aliens have invaded earth, and cause the planet to go into a desolate state. In order to free the people captured, and those transformed into aliens, you must kill the leader, in order to kill the whole of the alien invasion. Simple and straightforward, it's just a plot after all.

Now below is the link to listen to it, and the tracklisting. Hope you enjoy!

Link:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ty7wvmeon0m1ayu/Bounty Hunters Original Soundtrack 2.mp3?dl=0

Tracklisting:

1. Title Screen
  2. Main Menu
  3. Character Select
  4. Cutscene
  5. Stage 1 - The Sewers
  6. Stage 2 - The Swamp
  7. Stage 3 - The Junkyard
  8. Stage 4 - The Blizzard
  9. Stage 5 - The Power Planet
  10. Boss Theme
  11. Final Boss Theme
  12. Ending Theme
  13. Game Over
  14. Continue
  15. Level Complete
  16. Final Boss Complete
  17. Item Acquired
  18. Item Upgraded

That's all. Thanks for sticking with me!

Edited by TheVideoGamer

21 hours ago, HoboKa said:

Voted!!😅

D'oh!!  I forgot to mention someone in my vote.  I'll leave a comment on this thread once the round finishes up.  Didn't want to fudge things up in the Admin side of things, because the back-end is still really un-intuitive for that sorta thing.  Plus @TheVideoGamer would murder me if I messed his round up by accident lol. 

Edit 1

BTW The Voting Stage is up. Don't wanna go around TVG's helmet and make the actual post, but yea, you guys know the drill, get voting!! 🧐

Edit 2

(Reminder: you can't vote for yourself!)

Lol i would murder you...really. Yeah it's definately unadvised to edit the round, in case of future voting/uploading problems, but i wouldn't murder you haha. I'm not that cruel. 

Also the voting stage begins when i upload the official declaration. That doesn't mean you cannot vote when the box is up, there is no punishment with that, it's perfectly legal. It's more so, usually when i announce the voting, that's when it typically begins.

Also it really should be common sense to not vote for yourself, but as HoboKa has reiterated, please don't vote for your own entry!

Edited by TheVideoGamer

On 1/26/2022 at 2:03 AM, HoboKa said:

Submitted and accidentally deleted the project file when I was getting rid of my FLP Score files since I used 2 midis**.  Kinda poetic when you consider the source tune.  C'est la vie.  This'll be one helluva round by the looks of things.  Good luck everybody!  :tomatoface::nicework:

Well that sucks lol. At least you made it eh?

Welcome to the Voting Stage!

• There are 8 entries this round.
  • There is 1 Bonus entry(s) this round
  • There IS no voter bonus this round!
  • Nobody has a vote worth 2x. 
  • When Voting, if possible, avoid granting 1:1 covers top spot.  MnP requires a bit of remixage after all.  
  • Don't vote for Bonus entries please. 
  • Do let me know if you have problems voting, and we can sort something out.
  • Try and not make any comments about each entrant until after voting has concluded. Thanks!
  • Participants may not vote for themselves.  
  • The winner of this round will join the winner of the last round in a Double Dose for MnP Round 131.

Vote ends 11th February 1PM.  

Vote here: https://compo.thasauce.net/rounds/view/MnP130

Edited by TheVideoGamer

On 2/5/2022 at 3:20 PM, TheVideoGamer said:

Lol i would murder you...really. Yeah it's definately unadvised to edit the round, in case of future voting/uploading problems, but i wouldn't murder you haha. I'm not that cruel. 

Also the voting stage begins when i upload the official declaration. That doesn't mean you cannot vote when the box is up, there is no punishment with that, it's perfectly legal. It's more so, usually when i announce the voting, that's when it typically begins.

Also it really should be common sense to not vote for yourself, but as HoboKa has reiterated, please don't vote for your own entry!

Eh, that's fine.  Just run me over.  With a giant OLR Cake truck.  I'll make YTP sound-clips with my last breath.  IT BURNS MAMA LUIGI!!

BTW, your Bounty Hunters album is epic.  It's a damn shame it didn't get submitted, in time.  Sorry about jumping the gun and saying it was 'voting time'...my bad.  Erm, maybe next time, do a round extension before the last hour if you wanna squeeze something in.  Just a suggestion Bimmy.

I'm about 14:05* into your Bounty Hunters album and am continuing to listen well after I finish writing this, probably to the end.  Your 'Bounty Hunters' Album has really got me hooked man.  It has a very awesome modern indie game vibe, with hints of Metroid Prime, AM2R, Worms Armageddon, Metal Gear (the more ambient parts), S.T.A.L.K.E.R., F.E.A.R., Homeworld and other stuff.  Also, the percussive instruments are surprisingly good quality - same with the drones, basses and atmospheric pads.  You ought to sell this soundtrack on Unity or Unreal Storefronts (after refining some of the cheesier elements), this shit is LIT. 10/10. 

Edit

I listened to the whole thing.  I suggest cutting out the EDM/DnB tracks in the latter half and combining those with some other album of a similar vein, as they detract from the pro metroidy soundscape you had going on before.  Otherwise, I think you should slap the first half into your portfolio or a website...or as an asset pack/bandcamp album.  Up to you ofc, as it's your body of work.  Good stuff!!

Edited by HoboKa