Chaos Fruity Collab111!

Nase

so, over 15 years ago (wow!), we did a random open collab tune in Fruity Loops, passing around an .flp file, each participant adding something to the track consecutively. It was very chaotic, and a lot of fun while it lasted.

So what i'm asking is, who on here is using FLS, and would you be interested in playing around with this format. The idea is that skill and experience level totally doesn't matter - i was almost a complete noob back then, a few more experienced people joined in, and it was just great. the tune that developed was a weird kind of trashy frankenstein megamix, but that's totally ok if you ask me.

I got nothing to do, and would be totally down with doing something like this. I dunno if the active userbase on here is sufficient, but idk where else to post it, so why not just try.

It'd be done with only the basic included synths and stock sounds, needless to say. totally barebone FL.

anyone wanna have some fun?

RULES: so, it crystallized that we are using everything included in the Producer Edition, because apparently everyone has that.

Current Version:

Current Contributor: Audiomancer (deadline: march 2nd)

Waiting List: none.

Edited by Nase

cool! compo tennis, eh? serviceable name :)

it'd stay a pretty small file if we only use stock stuff, so probably just here.

when you did something like this before, did you apply any specific rules? the only thing i remember we said back then was, you generally write a new section and leave what's come before as is, unless you get a really good idea about making the whole thing better by changing sections by other participants. idk, more like a soft rule. it could also be a stricter rule at the beginning, for the sake of generating ideas, and later on in the process it becomes more about tying it all together cohesively, by retouching, remixing and mastering different parts.

I like this idea alot. I used to do this years ago with SectionZ.com was still around. I like the basis of the rules so far.

But I wouldnt go with base FL, but at least the Producer Edition (or Full Plugins Edition) if we can. It has alot more to play with so we more wiggle room for creativity.

6 hours ago, brink-of-time said:

I like this idea alot. I used to do this years ago with SectionZ.com was still around. I like the basis of the rules so far.

But I wouldnt go with base FL, but at least the Producer Edition (or Full Plugins Edition) if we can. It has alot more to play with so we more wiggle room for creativity.

we'll just see how many people have just "Fruity" Edition. i personally think using just the basic shit is especially fun, but if everyone has Producer, no reason not to include it.

CPU usage is also kind of important. the Producer plugins are all older i think, so that wouldn't be a problem. but still, if you just want to make a basic sinewave lead, for example, no reason not to do it in 3xOsc.

in other words: if you make the CPU meter jump from 10 to 30% with one single added section, and that translates to 99% for the next guy, then not good :)

21 hours ago, Nase said:

when you did something like this before, did you apply any specific rules? the only thing i remember we said back then was, you generally write a new section and leave what's come before as is, unless you get a really good idea about making the whole thing better by changing sections by other participants. idk, more like a soft rule. it could also be a stricter rule at the beginning, for the sake of generating ideas, and later on in the process it becomes more about tying it all together cohesively, by retouching, remixing and mastering different parts.

Just adding new sections seems good to me. I've got producer as well, the old stuff still works.

Kinda rusty at original works, but might give it a shot.  Legacy FL stuff right? IDK why i posted here when you PM'd me, but might as well show my support here too. Haven't had my caffiene dose yet, so brain go brrrrr

EDIT

Finally sat down to read the first blurb. Jebus, some days are better than others for me I guess. ADD maybe.

I like the idea of passing around a partially made FLP and adding small snippets to it like hot-potato on crack. Sounds like a blast 💣

Edited by HoboKa

i had this dream tonight where i met jay and mike from the YT channel redlettermedia in a snowy town.

we made some really bad looking food together and also started on this FL collab idea. i had given them a mediocre 1 minute synth electro track, and they added like 8 bars to it. they did some tiny chiptuney flourishes and used a crappy bassline of mine that i hadn't used, but had left in the project file.

yeah....maybe a sign to get this going, huh? i'll just take inspiration from the dream as far as not trying to do anything flashy or impressive right away. i am very rusty too.

hobo: legacy in software terms kinda means abandoned or not supported anymore, so not really. it looks like we're doing producer edition.

3xosc, FPC, GMS, Drumpad, Sytrus, Harmless. To me those are the most relevant ones. maybe this newer "FLEX" thing is usable too, haven't tried it yet. plus all the samples that are in the "Packs" folder.

since the soundfont player is now 64 bit, we could potentially pick one decent GM soundbank .sf2 that everyone can use. that in itself is pretty powerful with good fx.

Edited by Nase

@NaseI won't be able to get back to you on that RN, been feeling pretty off, mentally and physically.  It's one of those TMI situations so I can't rly get into it (again...), but I swear to god if it's Sepsis, I'm gonna puke. I am so DONE with antibiotics. I just want to die. 

(edit 2)

Well, managed to take a peak and realized I'm running with out-dated version of FL Studio 20.  Might be a while.  Also there is the issue of me needing to update FL Studio.  Got a big ass project in the works, spanning multiple FLP's, so it's a lot to put on the line there.  Didn't think of that before hopping in. 

Edited by HoboKa

haha, chill hobo. this is just for some random fun. maybe join in in a month, when we have a 10 minute contorted frankenstein music baby. ;) take care.

yeah soup, i think you just claim it if you feel inspired to add some shit. first come first served. we can make a rotation list down the road as soon as it gains some traction.

alternatives: everyone who wants to does his own short intro .flp, and then we decide on which one to start with together. or we even start with more than one and have several people working at once on different tracks. it's really down to you guys as well. different things could work, depending on everyone's spirits.

sorry for being flip-floppy and not very official about this, heh. but i'd rather keep this spontaneous and somewhat democratic than make it a set in stone competition thing.

i am already a little annoyed by what i did yesterday...hardly a surprise there. but the simplest way to go about this, i suppose is, to say fuck it and throw nothing away and just get going.

edit: so in case anyone just wants to start with my blorgx.flp, just know that i won't feel offended if you change parts of it. do whatever you like. hell, write an intro for it if you want.

Edited by Nase

10 hours ago, Nase said:

haha, chill hobo. this is just for some random fun. maybe join in in a month, when we have a 10 minute contorted frankenstein music baby. ;) take care.

Sorry, was feeling very ill, borderline deathly ill (EDIT - but if I was extremely ill I probably would've NOT posted at all lmfao).  Probably was due to bubble tea and too many artificial sweeteners over a long course of time.  Kidneys and bladder were just about ready to go on strike lol.  So I cut that processed crap out and feel considerably better, but still a bit cruddy.  Doubt it's Sepsis, cuz I don't have coldsweats or high fever lmao.

As for the FL thingy...I might well have to wait a month.  Hope it turns out well for you guys.  :tomatoface:🤣

Edited by HoboKa

bubble tea...that still a thing, huh? i used to drink that occasionally back whenever i'd get some sushi, but it definitely was more of a novelty item to me.

i encourage everyone remotely interested in the collab to just do 16 bars of randomness, or something. then share it. i'll look at it and try to add something. don't overthink it or aim for greatness. let's just turn out some crap to start with! (just keep the cpu somewhat moderate)

• Nase changed the title to Chaos Fruity Collab111!
8 hours ago, Nase said:

bubble tea...that still a thing, huh? i used to drink that occasionally back whenever i'd get some sushi, but it definitely was more of a novelty item to me.

i encourage everyone remotely interested in the collab to just do 16 bars of randomness, or something. then share it. i'll look at it and try to add something. don't overthink it or aim for greatness. let's just turn out some crap to start with! (just keep the cpu somewhat moderate)

do NOT drink it on the regular...guess I formed some bad habits when the 'plandemic' hit.  Oy vei. 

16 Bars huh?  I'll mull it over Sir Naseton. 

• 3 weeks later...