Yoshi's Island - Title theme

MartinH

https://youtu.be/DaOltcaEnhY

I would dare to say this one could be called the Start Screen theme as well, but for me it's the World Map theme when you watch the very beautiful scene of when you're circling around Yoshi's Island (at least I thought it was beautiful back in 96').

The reason why I did this remix now is because it holds an old memory from 1996 when me and my brother got Yoshi's Island for christmas, hence this is my holiday remix 😃

This was our first christmas after my aunt's husband passed away 6 months earlier, so we went up north to where she lived and spent both christmas and new year's eve with her. I remembered the huge amount of snow we had and that we played a lot outside - until we opened this christmas gift with Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island inside (and by a coincidence we had brought our SNES unit lol). With this remix I think I kind of honor the memory of my aunt's husband, and also Yoshi's Island itself since it holds a great deal of memories to me and my brother.

It's not one of those intense and very "synthwavey" tracks I've made, but there is emotions and a chill atmosphere over it, just like when you're walking in crunchy/creaky snow by night and everything is completely silent except the sound of your own footsteps on the snow.

As you probably have noticed I took a complete break from my remixing this holiday, which I spent only with family and friends. But to be honest, I started with this remix like a week before christmas, but on a very basic level. However, this last weekend I tried to complete it more and more, and just last night I think I did the last thing (edit: No. I did the last adjustments on my lunch break today).

The remix: starting off with some chilly wind FX and slowly fading in the original arpeggio with my alternate main synth. Then I put some chords on the arpeggio to make it more groovy and dynamic. When the melody kicks in the song is quite naked, no played chords. I separated the melody section into 4 parts, where part 1 and 3 is very naked, 2 and 4 are backed up with chords. After the melody sections there is a variation of the main melody over different chords with a jazzy touch. Then it goes straight into an atmospheric break where I start to build up for my solo part. You could do so much beautiful things with those chords. After the solo section I'm finishing the remix with a naked outro and some sound FX from the original SNES game.

• 3 weeks later...