PRC85: Fantasy Can't Get Much Cuter (Little Samson) [Results]

Rexy

The mixing stage is over. The voting stage has begun! To cast your vote, you send me a PM and in that PM you rank the mixes from first to fourth. Contestants don't need to place their own work as they automatically get a first place vote. The winner of PRC84 (Sir Nuts) has a vote that counts twice. You have until Wednesday, January 17th at 5AM EST to send your vote to me. The winner gets to choose the source tune for PRC86!

ZIP archive

Another Soundscape - Lair of Kikira

Dragonlord - Tiny Yellow Fish

Manic Cinq - The Happy Punching Bag

Xela - I Can Fly

The People's Remix Competition 85

PRCv4-7

Hello everyone and welcome to the People's Remix Competition! PRC84 saw the second Sonic-related PRC in a row, and among the range of entries it managed to attract, Sir Nuts took the win with something that goes straight back towards his trance roots. Nice work.

PRC85 pays host to a game that he transcribed a lot of MIDIs for at VGMusic (look deep in the New-Files) and thus won't stop talking about it. But I think it's about time that can do with some PRC coverage. Come on peeps, it's Taito :D

prc85.jpg

For this prc I'm picking a track from a game that I love. it's little samson, for NES. A game that was pretty overlooked because it came out late in the NES era, when the 16 bit systems were gaining momentum. Still, it's one of the most refined platform games I've ever played, and if you haven't played it yet I suggest you do because you're missing a darn fine game.

This track is Kikira the dragon's theme, one of the main characters of the game. I made the midi myself a long time ago(almost 2 years I think) so excuse me if there's any difference between the original and this. I think it's a pretty playful song that I'll love to mix it myself someday and I hope you all will like to mix it for this competition.

Good bye, and good luck.

Little Samson - Kikira's Theme

MIDI | MP3 | NSF (track 3)

Now that he picked this, there's one step done on his way to infect this game in our minds. :P We hope from this we get quite the PRC audience to boot. Anyway...

GOOD LUCK!

Fine Print:

PRC instructions

1. If you happen to be mixing this song already, start over in the interests of fairness.
  2. There is no limit on entry format or file size, but length for length's sake and MIDI rips are not allowed.
  3. Entries must be posted in this thread by NEXT SATURDAY, January 13th at 4:59am Eastern US Time.
  4. You may enter as many mixes as you like and work with as many people as you like on each mix.
  5. Do not make qualitative comments on an entry until the results of the vote have been posted.
  6. The winner of the previous contest may not enter an eligible mix, but his/her vote will count double.
  7. Mixers cannot vote for themselves but if they vote they receive a free first place vote added onto their score.

Doulifée's PRC Archives! If you need help with hosting your mix, contact myself or Doulifée, and we'll help you out.

BTW, how's the policy when it comes to getting PRC entries released on OCR? I'm interested in subbing this mix to.. is it one or the other or does it have to be subbed before the PRC is through or what?

HELP TEH NEWB :D

Chances are that the song will be judged after PRC is over, so you can submit it now I think. Anyways Rexy is now on command of PRC so I don't know what she thinks but as far as I'm concerned you can submit your mix now since it won't get judged anytime soon.

Somebody has to be the first to submit a track and heck, I'm done! :)

First, Thanks to Doulifée for hosting the track!

http://doulifee.com/prc/PrcSong/prc85/PRC85_Another_Soundscape_Little_Samson_Lair_Of_Kikira.mp3

Another Soundscape - Lair of Kikira

ReMix info: This is an industrial mix of Kikira's Theme (duh) made entirely in Reason 3.0, using a lot of original samples and obscure ReFills (distorted toysynths, old junk and such).

This remix was done mainly to ridicule the cuteness in the Little Samson game. After listening to the original track over 20 times to get inspiration I was so sick of the cuteness of the theme so I decided to make a really dark and somewhat heavy mix.

Like, what if Kikira the Dragon was one of those big, evil, man-eating dragons you've heard so much about instead?

All vocals and lyrics are done by Kholdstare, all credit goes out to him, the only thing I did was process them.

The original lyrics in order of appearence:

Let the roar of the dragon sound

Why did you come here?

What did you seek to obtain?

Get out now!

Let the roar of the dragon sound,

Your corpse falls to the ground

Before I end this I want to point out that I'm really a happy guy XD.

If you like my ReMix, please vote for it. Thank You.

-Another Soundscape

This remix was done mainly to ridicule the cuteness in the Little Samson game. After listening to the original track over 20 times to get inspiration I was so sick of the cuteness of the theme so I decided to make a really dark and somewhat heavy mix.

Haha one of the best inspirational ideas i've heard in awhile. I won't be able to make it this round, but keep dem mixes coming!

LAOS, I would rather blame my University time schedule. I've been working on the final documentation of my music technology coursework almost all this week and I've barely had time to stop and chat, let alone update signatures. :( Sorry about that.

I can see we have two entries hosted and a third in the making, but for me it's not quite enough for a voting poll. Alex, we'll wait on you before we can get this underway. Or maybe we can wait til tomorrow for other new challengers.