[SNES] Lufia 2 - Final Battle

Docjekyll

Source: 

This is the track from the final dungeon of Lufia 2

Remix:

Docjekyll - Shrine of Twisted Shadows

Comments:

This is a trance take on one of the most moody tracks from the venerable Lufia 2 OST. I kept it fairly compact for a trance track.

The source material is fairly apparent throughout, but here are some details:

• 0:14 - introduce recognizable pattern from source
  • 0:27 - introduce plucked chord pattern, loosely based on pulsing chords from source; also arpeggio from source running in the background
  • 0:42 - hint at source melody with bell + breathy synth
  • 1:15 - reveal source melody and start buildup to first climax
  • 2:12 - first climax
  • 2:55 - back to introductory pattern, with a few changes to release tension
  • 3:27 - melody again but with a more in-your-face synth lead
  • 3:56 - final buildup
  • 4:03 - climax with gated square synth lead, a bit closer to source than the first time around

Feedback Requested:

• overall impressions and quality - Would you submit this to OCR in this state?
  • structure - I originally was planning on a much longer track (maybe 7-8 minutes?) more like a 90s trance song, with slower buildup and more gradual, subtle layering of instruments. But then I decided for a remix it should probably put the source material on display more quickly, so I threw subtlety out the window and made a much faster buildup and release. What do you think about that choice?
  • instrumentation and mixing - I like using in-your-face synth sounds and booming, resonant bass + kick but I'm always worried that others will find it overly grating. Does this track manage a palatable balance?
Edited by Docjekyll

That Synth Lead at 3:27 I don't really like with that effect. Maybe just a personal preference for me, but I would expect that effect more for a dubstep. I think the sound should be clearer. Vibrato would be okay, but not a "jaggy" sound.

Instrumentation I don't mind, but if you can find a way to touch up the sounds, definitely make sure to explore through before submitting. Overall, I would def add this to my VG Remix playlist. Personally I wish this would be more dance than trance, but you could easily make an alternative version with some different sounds and some tweaks that would make it sound the same yet different. Good luck with this! I Love Lufia!

Thank you for the feedback!

I made some tweaks to levels and patterns in a few places, but it didn't change much. I hear you about the square wave lead at the end, but based on feedback from some other places I think I'm going to keep it for this track. It's definitely a very piercing noise, and I'm going to have to think more about it for the next track I work on.

Here is the final remix if you want to listen/download: 

Really atmospheric and well-mixed remix!

Love it. ))

The only thing which you might improve, would be by composing at least one really outstand peak (maybe right before the finish), where the track really explodes with some nice chord progressions, a faster drum beat accompanied by the original melody...

... similar like in the remix "Trance of Doom" created by Game Music Finland, at minute 2:25:

But even as it is just right now, it's already an amazing remix.

PS: And don't forget to upload your track on YouTube or another common video-streaming platform that offers at least an audio bitrate of around 192 kbit/s for streaming.
As I remember, the free accounts at Soundcloud are only allowed to stream music with an audio bitrate of around 128 kbit/s.

Edited by Master Mi

I do enjoy the atmosphere on this one. You did capture the trance vibes with this one. As far as as mixing goes, I need the drums to hit harder, especially the kick and snare. Also a sucker for crisp hi hat action. It's trance after all. You notice the kick in the very beginning is at a decent level and then when everything is introduced it kind of looses that oomph in the mix. The overall volume of the mid-range could be lowered. There is a lot going on in that range. Pulsing chords could be pushed further back. 

I like the arrangement. GJ!

Thank you for the comments everyone!

I appreciate all the tips and I'll be taking them into account in future tracks. I think mixing and dynamics are the two things I most need to work on.

I'm especially glad to hear that folks are enjoying the remix! ♥