Evanescence

PriZm

*currently jamming to Metallica - Shoot Me Again*

I like St. Anger. (I mean, it's different, but it's still good.) Of course, I also liked Load and ReLoad, and think S&M is one of the best albums by any band period, so I might be slightly flawed. But they got their producer from the Justice era back, and the New Song and Other New Song sound promising, so, hey, they might make some sort of comeback.

And, man, I need to see those movies.

The problem I have with Metallica's recent efforts is that most of their recent music just becomes background work music to me. I don't jam to it like I was able to with their classic albums. I start listening to it, and then it fades into the background while I concentrate on something else. That doesn't happen when I go old-school with them.

I haven't heard their new stuff. Heck, I hardly listen to the radio anymore since I have my mp3 player with me. I'll take a look at those. Also, I forgot to say that I do like Evanescence as well. I was first exposed to them with their "Fallen" album, and was pleased with their first release, "Origins," which i listened to afterwards.

Oh, one more thing. It is a totally different experience listening to music on your mp3 player than on the radio. Radio stations have some weird equalization going on, some lack bass, others exaggerate it... I can't really decide on the quality of an album unless I listen to it on my mp3 player during my personal time. I like picking out the different instruments, etc.

Also, this is going off on a tangent, but I was very pleased with Ryan Star's rendition of R.E.M.'s "Losing my Religion" some time back. Here is the link to it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIDf9LoIYZ0

Here is the link to the original performed by R.E.M.:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ye2LoCaZKCY

I like both versions. Unfortunately, Ryan Star's version is short, and there is no official release of his version, so I ended up ripping the music off of the youtube video to a WAV file, which I then converted to an MP3.

We're still on topic, no? My last post still mentioned Evanescence. The thread just has extra spices now. The main ingredient is still there.

But just to reinforce the intended purpose: why isn't Tourniquet played on the radio? Is it because of its blatant religious overtones? I had never heard the song until I got my hands on the CD. It is clearly one of their superior songs.

We're still on topic, no? My last post still mentioned Evanescence. The thread just has extra spices now. The main ingredient is still there.

But just to reinforce the intended purpose: why isn't Tourniquet played on the radio? Is it because of its blatant religious overtones? I had never heard the song until I got my hands on the CD. It is clearly one of their superior songs.

it is, definitely. it's not played because of blatant religious overtones (which Amy Lee said weren't religious overtones in the infamous interview that eventually led to Ben leaving the band), but because it has blatantly obvious drug overtones, i think. and, also probably because they never released it as a single, so i don't think that radio stations can play it without paying for each individual playing, or something stupid like that.

I don't like Evanescence because I've seen on TV that some people who like them dress like goths and since I'm so badass that I'm never depressed, I'll never admit to like some people who are liked by people who appear depressed by the way they dress. Wait, what ? Oh they're musicians too and I should just listen to the fucking music to base my opinion on their art instead of the target audience ? No way, my penis is much too big. This is what you self-proclaimed anti-goth sound like. If you're going to bash the band, please do it in a manner that pertains to their actual art.

As for Tourniquet, well I think the drugs and religious references certainly don't help, but then there's the "I WANT TO DIE" and the "my suicide" at the end that would probably piss off overprotective parents to no end, so all in all it might be a good decision to not release it as a single. It's definitely one of their strongest song though, the syncopated instrumental part in the middle is the shit.

Seeing them live definitely revigorated my interest in the band, because, except for 'Your Star' and 'Lacrymosa' (which is a beautiful love song), The Open Door is a lot weaker than Fallen in my opinion.

I like Amy's voice and, because of that, a friend pointed me to another band with a female as the main vocalist. It is a somewhat strange progression, since the musical styles are different, but I progressed from Evanescence to Nightwish. I had not even heard of it until a friend of mine recommended it. He lent me some CD's, I liked what I heard: a lot.

Then, after having received much playback on my DAP, I gave Nightwish a break and moved back to Evanescence (among other stuff as well, of course). I cannot say one is better than the other, since the styles are clearly different, but you might enjoy Nightwish. The main vocalist has more of an opera style to her voice, but it works rather well, in my opinion.

Check them out:

Radio stations have some weird equalization going on, some lack bass, others exaggerate it...

Radio stations compress the signal extremely. Even after the music has already been extremely compressed during mixing and mastering in the studio :-/

I pretty much never listen to the radio, unless my iPod is dead and I don't have my cd's with me in my car.

Just clarifying. Don't mind me, carry on.

I actually liked The Open Door, though that just may be because I tend to like more experimental stuff in general. It just had a really, good sound that I gravitate to. I just like the whole symphony/rock/electronic combo sound.

Also, the beginning of Weight of the World sounds like a Prince of Persia fight song, which is awsome! They could've used that song for Warrior Within, & it would have fit better than Godsmack. Lacrymosa is great because it's a rocked out remix version of an old school symhpony. Though I will admit, I missed some of the more downetempo stuff they had on Origins & Fallen. Most of the stuff on Open Door is agressive.

One more thing, if you like Evanescence, I reccommend Thrice's Vheissu, it's really good as well, & has that hybridized sound that I enjoy.

I don't like Evanescence because I've seen on TV that some people who like them dress like goths and since I'm so badass that I'm never depressed, I'll never admit to like some people who are liked by people who appear depressed by the way they dress. Wait, what ? Oh they're musicians too and I should just listen to the fucking music to base my opinion on their art instead of the target audience ? No way, my penis is much too big. This is what you self-proclaimed anti-goth sound like. If you're going to bash the band, please do it in a manner that pertains to their actual art.

As for Tourniquet, well I think the drugs and religious references certainly don't help, but then there's the "I WANT TO DIE" and the "my suicide" at the end that would probably piss off overprotective parents to no end, so all in all it might be a good decision to not release it as a single. It's definitely one of their strongest song though, the syncopated instrumental part in the middle is the shit.

Seeing them live definitely revigorated my interest in the band, because, except for 'Your Star' and 'Lacrymosa' (which is a beautiful love song), The Open Door is a lot weaker than Fallen in my opinion.

Well it's not as much as they suck, it's more that their music is so fucking annoying it makes me want to fling whatever device it's being played on into the middle of the goddamned road. Easily one of the most irritating bands I've ever listened to.

I used to like that band.

Also, it seems that their latest video strongly resembles AFI's "Love Like Winter" video. Same director, I believe.

I hate to say this, as I'm not a fan of MTV or most 'videos' in general, but Love Like Winter is one hell of a video. It almost restored my faith in the band after I was disappointed by Decemberunderground.

The main band of this discussion, I'm not a big fan of them. Nothing personal, I just don't get into it.

As far as female vocals go in commercial rock/metal, I dislike both Lee and Turunen. Lee's voice, as was mentioned earlier, is a bit whiny sounding, and I just dislike Turunen's style of singing. Nightwish, I hope Hietala takes over vocals, because he's really good. But, for female vocals, I like Cristina Scabbia (Lacuna Coil) and Angela Gossow (Arch Enemy).

From what I've heard, Nightwish is more speedy than Evanescence, which make them lack the heaviness that I like. Also, they're a lot more dramatic sounding and less groovy, in my opinion. I couldn't find the groovy, danceable, almost funky feel that Tourniquet (verse) and Bring me to Life have in Nightwish songs.

Of course, if you're more about technical prowess and sick arrangements, Nightwish might be your thing.

As far as female vocals go in commercial rock/metal, I dislike both Lee and Turunen. Lee's voice, as was mentioned earlier, is a bit whiny sounding, and I just dislike Turunen's style of singing. Nightwish, I hope Hietala takes over vocals, because he's really good. But, for female vocals, I like Cristina Scabbia (Lacuna Coil) and Angela Gossow (Arch Enemy).

I like Scabbia but I prefer Anneke van Giersbergen from The Gathering. Actually, she's my favorite singer, man or woman.