So I know nothing about iTunes

Fenrir

I got an iPod Shuffle for Christmas and now i'm in the process of downloading iTunes so I can put music on it to listen to. Is there anything in particular I should know before getting started?

It tells me I have to "sync" my music to iTunes. I'm curious as to what that actually entails.

Basically it means putting your music in the main iTunes playlist, hooking up the Shuffle, and letting it transfer the files to the Shuffle. This is also all you need to do.

If you add or change stuff later on, synching again makes sure the changes exist on both your PC and on the Shuffle.

The term synching(synchronizing) itself refers simply to making sure both have the same data on them.

So what's the deal with files disappearing...? I hear if you connect to another pc, your stuff disappears from it =S

iTunes 7 does that. It has happened to my sister and my friend. Its a copyright protection thing. Since an iPod can only be synced to 1 computer at a a time, if you plug it into another computer, it erases all the files on it so that you can't copy files from one computer to another. I guess they figure if you've got the music on your computer, then you won't mind it all getting blown off your iPod.

Yeah, Apple's getting a little paranoid with their software.

You *won't* erase the contents of your iPod unless you choose to. you can, for example, plug in your ipod into someone else's computer to power it. The only thing you have to be sure not to do is say that you want to sync your iPod with someone else's computer when iTunes asks you. If you say no, then it will power fine and you won't lose your files.

Okay, I've got a problem with iTunes. I have roughly 2300 songs in my library, and three songs are acting up weirdly: they're not reporting the song length correctly. In Flames's "Scorn" is reporting a minute longer than it actually is, DevilDriver's "Hold Back the Day" is returning four minutes longer than it actually is, and, also DevilDriver, "The Fury of our Maker's Hand" is reporting a minute short. The ones that are being reported longer are no problem when I listen to on my iPod (it sends the same song length over), they cut off when the song is actaully over and go to the next song, but the one that reports too short is actually cut there on the iPod, and I don't like that, as it's one of my favorite songs and I'm losing a minute. I've deleted the files from the library and readded, and it still returns the same length. Anyone know how to deal with this?

I'd suggest burning them to a CD and ripping them, or if you don't want the quality hit from doing so, try and download them from another source. As far as I can tell, it's the fault of the files. I have a couple songs that are roughly 4-5 minutes that are listed as around 24 in both iTunes and Winamp. There might also be a program out there that fixes the playing times on songs.

I'd suggest burning them to a CD and ripping them, or if you don't want the quality hit from doing so, try and download them from another source. As far as I can tell, it's the fault of the files. I have a couple songs that are roughly 4-5 minutes that are listed as around 24 in both iTunes and Winamp. There might also be a program out there that fixes the playing times on songs.

Or, you know, just get a free audio conversion tool and recreate the file that way instead of going to all the trouble of burning a CD and ripping from it.

Or, you know, just get a free audio conversion tool and recreate the file that way instead of going to all the trouble of burning a CD and ripping from it.

Or you could create an .iso, mount it with Daemontools and then rip from that? (not sure if that works.. just an idea I had)

Also, do other programs do the same thing to the iPod, or is it just iTunes that does it? Cos I was thinking of using WinAmp w/ plugin (my sister has an iPod and has had some problems, not me.)

Or you could create an .iso, mount it with Daemontools and then rip from that? (not sure if that works.. just an idea I had)

Also, do other programs do the same thing to the iPod, or is it just iTunes that does it? Cos I was thinking of using WinAmp w/ plugin (my sister has an iPod and has had some problems, not me.)

I believe its something that iTunes 7 does, but I can't say that for certain. All I know is none of these deletion problems occured until iTunes 7 was released.